Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Default Detroit loosing in free agent market

The Pistons have already lost out on a couple prospective free agents…

Joe Dumars spurned twice…

Apparently, we were second choice for Mickael Pietrus and James Jones. Both chose teams in Florida

Some Florida BS titbits:

Code:
There are no State taxes in Florida

It looks like right now we will struggle to bring in anybody and this roster is looking to be the same as before… we are lying here in wait while every other team around us is making moves and improving their rosters. The Pistons are falling down further in the Eastern Conference every day now…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #2
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: Detroit loosing in free agent market

relax. neither of those fools would've put us over the top and really can you blame them? no winter, no state taxes on million $ salaries, and probably a bigger role on those teams. Pietrus I kinda understand since orl is a decent team, but now they have no money for frontcourt help. or a good pg. so they are stuck where there were last year imo. miami is gonna suck this year. their best big is haslem and they have no true center on the team.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Detroitguy113
I airball my layups

Pietrus would have been.. but I'm with you. I just have this feeling like we were ready to change this team around.. and now we're going to sit here and play another year with and get the same result. We have a good team.. but I feel like we're a contender every year and that's it. Dumars has to make something happen soon.
Detroitguy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
relax. neither of those fools would've put us over the top and really can you blame them? no winter, no state taxes on million $ salaries, and probably a bigger role on those teams. Pietrus I kinda understand since orl is a decent team, but now they have no money for frontcourt help. or a good pg. so they are stuck where there were last year imo. miami is gonna suck this year. their best big is haslem and they have no true center on the team.

I read the title and wanted to post. You took the words from my mouth. Unfortunately, as much as I love Michigan it's not a top desitination for athletes. It's truly amazing what Detroit and even the colleges do to go out and get athletes. Let's face it, where is it easier to recruit, where the weather is nice, or where there is rain and snow?

I wasn't worried about either of those players anyhow. This year all we have is the MLE and the free agent market isn't favorable for teams trying to use that. Teams are going to overpay for players who will play 10 minutes per game. Using the full MLE on a guy like Posey is crazy. He's good but he isn't worth nearly 6 million per year. There are guys who we don't even know their names yet who can come in and give quality minutes like some of these players who are out to get the MLE. I'd rather give a rookie the chance to make a name for themself.

The only way Detroit makes a splash in the offseason is through a trade. It will be difficult because there are too many GM's who think the Pistons players make each other better as a team and individually they aren't as good. We all know that is a crock of S***, but it's what they do to try to make their stock go down. We all know Joe D isn't going to have a firesale. Detroit was the 2nd best team in the league last year. Of course I'm not satisfied with that, but it certainly could have been different if Chauncey and Rip weren't injured. My preference would be to keep the team the same rather than make a stupid move. I've been saying for over a year that we need a true center and a backup SF but let's not get carried away with it. I think Krstic is still available. He's someone who is deserving of the full MLE. Maybe Joe D was just waiting for those other guys to leave the market so other teams couldn't go after who he wanted. Any way around it, it's not a bad thing if he doesn't use the MLE this season.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: