Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default Is having your shooting arm in front of your face detrimental to your jump shot?

When I look at the mirror using my form my arm covers the entire right side of my face. A quick google search on the matter did not yield any results so I decided to post here, especially since I remember a particularly helpful fellow, I think his name was Swaggin. I used to be an excellent shooter, no hesitation and my jumper would always feel right, even when it missed. But ever since I had a severe ankle sprain, I was forced to take a 3 month hiatus from basketball. Needless to say, my jump shot was never the same again. It's been more than 2 years since the incident and I've been through so many jump shot forms in search of my old one that I can transition between every single NBA players' forms at will, and then some. I've broken down every single aspect of why I thought my jumper was off, why I missed and whatnot, and even when I thought I finally had it all figured out, another incorrect element of my jump shot came into play. Trust me, I went through it all: legs, degree of elbow bend, shooting on the way up, fluidity;not shooting in steps, follow-through, keeping your arm up and pointed at the rim, height of ball relative to head when shooting, you name it. But when this dawned on me I thought to myself, "How the hell did I miss that?" I just want to know if this is really affecting my shot or if this is actually the correct arm positioning and I shouldn't worry about it. Also I want to be sure of this before I apply the possible change to my shooting tomorrow, because if it isn't a worthwhile change, it will just make things worse.

Last edited by Permodius : 02-28-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Pushxx
Pushxx

Pushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPushxx is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is having your shooting arm in front of your face detrimental to your jump shot?

I'm just gonna give you general advice: don't build a jumpshot from scratch.

Find out the natural aspects of your jumpshot and adapt from there. If you don't take what comes naturally first, you are never going to feel comfortable. There are certain parts of every individual's jump shot that can't be changed. Just don't think about how you're shooting and try to notice natural tendencies that need to be incorporated in your best version of a jumphot.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Scal

Default Re: Is having your shooting arm in front of your face detrimental to your jump shot?

I agree with everything Pushxx said. You should go with whatever feels natural for the most part - just look at Shawn Marion and image how many coaches tried to get him to change his shooting action (okay, maybe Marion isn't the best example, how about Michael Redd's unusual technique?).

At one point I got heavily into my shooting mechanics, but I realised later on that in a game situation, you don't have time to think about every little aspect, and I found when I wasn't over analysing I made a lot more.

So essentially, just try and find what works for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Permodius
I airball my layups

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. Even though I've been essentially trying to mold my jump shot, I have also been putting emphasis on trying to make my jump shot feel natural. Even before this thread, my main goal has been to just be able to shoot without thinking, but now I know that trying to correct every single aspect of my jump shot might be hindering this process. I played ball today and just tried different things and when I found something that felt natural, I just stuck with it. Now, even if I miss, I am satisfied because I feels good when I am shooting. I greatly appreciate both of your advice.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Pushxx said it well.

Find what's natural for you and make small adjustments if needed.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Permodius
I airball my layups

I think my long arms might be the reason why I am generally uncomfortable when trying to shoot a text-book style jump shot, and thus why I am always changing it around. Is there any suggested shooting style for someone like me? I am 6'1" and my wingspan is 6'6".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: