Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
huppcap
Local High School Star

Default SG minutes

So you guys have Brandon Roy, Martell Webster and now Rudy Fernandez. Travis Outlaw should be starting at SF but Webster was last year. Someone has to go. There are not enough minutes for Webster and Fernandez and someone won't be happy not gettign the minutes they deserve. Since Fernandez was just signed I assume Webster will be traded.

Eventually Portland is going to have a big luxury tax liability with all the young talent.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

Default Re: SG minutes

Webster is not a SG.

He will play SF, likely coming off the bench and getting plenty of minutes behind Outlaw.

Roy and Fernandez will split time at SG.

Roy will also play some time at point.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This is how I see the minutes at the guard:
Roy 35 mpg
Blake 25 mpg
Bayless 18mpg
Rudy 18mpg
(Sergio will get his minutes in garbage time only)

Next year, we can see a reduction in Blake's minutes to increase Bayless/Rudy's minutes

SF:
Webster and Outlaw can get 24mpg each
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
huppcap
Local High School Star

Not that I watch the Blazers alot but Webster seems like an undersized small forward. With all the 3pt shots he takes he seems more like a SG.

In the long term I would not think you can satisfy all these guys minute wise. Even last year Outlaw was coming off the bench and he a legitimate starter and possibly potential all star. This year you add Fernandez and Bayless. Webster is still young with star potential?

Since your team is so young I would not be surprised to see someone traded like Webster to bring in a tough veteren with playoff/championship experinence and back-up Aldridge at the PF.

Last edited by huppcap : 07-03-2008 at 09:00 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Actually when Webster started his career in Portland he was the backup shooting guard. He was moved to small forward to make room for Brandon Roy

It'll probably be

PG
Blake 25+
Bayless 15-
Roy 8-10

SG
Roy 30+
Fernandez 20
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
Not that I watch the Blazers alot but Webster seems like an undersized small forward. With all the 3pt shots he takes he seems more like a SG.

In the long term I would not think you can satisfy all these guys minute wise. Even last year Outlaw was coming off the bench and he a legitimate starter and possibly potential all star. This year you add Fernandez and Bayless. Webster is still young with star potential?

Since your team is so young I would not be surprised to see someone traded like Webster to bring in a tough veteren with playoff/championship experinence and back-up Aldridge at the PF.

I agree that this set up won't last forever, but it should work for now. As we see Rudy and Bayless get better, expect Blake's minutes to go down and down. I think eventually it will mainly be a 3 man rotation at the 2 G positions with Bayless, Roy, and Rudy getting most of the 96 minutes at the 2 spots. Blake, if still around, would come in and get some minutes here and there, but nothing compared to what he gets now. If we thin out our SF position, Rudy may be able to play some at that position in order to give more minutes at the guard positions.

And yeah, I don't expect us to keep both Webster and Outlaw forever. One will likely go, but it doesn't have to happen yet. Webster came into the league with the Blazers expecting to make him our SG of the future. He's kind of a big SG. Once our SG position became full, we switched his role to SF since he was pretty big anyway and he's done ok at the switch. If he remains a Blazer, expect him to stay a SF. If he is traded, it will depend on that team's needs.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

Outlaw was used to back up the PF position quite a bit last season - I don't see the addition of Diogu changing that this season. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some interesting "small lineups" with Roy, Bayless and Fernandez all out there together........with two big forwards - say Outlaw and Aldridge. I think Webster's minutes will suffer the most - especially if we sign Batum and the Poponen.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

I'm thinking that Webster starting at SF would really space the floor for Bayless/Roy to penetrate, and for Aldridge/Oden to operate in the high and low post.

The Oregonian (Portland paper) has often had stories about McMillan really wanting Webster to develop into a defensive stopper, which everyone knows every contender needs. Webster has said he has really adopted the role and wants to be the defensive ace.

Travis Outlaw is a perfect 6th man, and honestly is getting paid like one (3 yrs $12 million), as he brings athleticism, energy, and the will to take and make big shots.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Jason Quick said the idea is to have Blake start at point guard but for a lot of the big moments it'll be Roy at the point, Bayless at the shooting guard, Fernandez at small forward.

I'm guessing that'll be the end of the first half and 4th quarter line up with Aldridge and Oden out there as well.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: