Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Default My ideal backup point guard: Charlie Bell

I have two that could be available.

One is Steve Blake, who will see a logjam with Sergio Rodriguez, Bayless, Koponen and you also have Branden Roy running the point for stretches. He could become expendable.

But the one guy I want is Charlie Bell from the Milwaukee Bucks. Bell is a 6'3 combo guard who had shooting range and is a strong defender. The Bucks have Ramon Sessions, Mo Williams, Michael Redd, and Desmond Mason in their backcourt. I think Bell could be expendable because he has a smaller contract number that could match up with the Sixers trade exception.

Blake's cap number is a little higher but it might work.
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: My ideal backup point guard: Charlie Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venja42
I have two that could be available.

One is Steve Blake, who will see a logjam with Sergio Rodriguez, Bayless, Koponen and you also have Branden Roy running the point for stretches. He could become expendable.

But the one guy I want is Charlie Bell from the Milwaukee Bucks. Bell is a 6'3 combo guard who had shooting range and is a strong defender. The Bucks have Ramon Sessions, Mo Williams, Michael Redd, and Desmond Mason in their backcourt. I think Bell could be expendable because he has a smaller contract number that could match up with the Sixers trade exception.

Blake's cap number is a little higher but it might work.
Bell would help us with 3 point shooting. But with Miller/Iggy/Lou/Green...where's going to get his minutes?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
mln03
I airball my layups

Sixers need a legitimate pg as back-up, no combo guards. God forbid miller is out for an extended period, you have lou williams (combo) running the point. With the addition of brand it emphasizes the point of getting another distributor on the roster even more.....
mln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I really think it's going to be Jamont Gordon from summer league. He could have been a 1st rounder in the draft. Nobody thought he would go undrafted. Had 10 pts (5 of 10) and 7 assists yesterday in 25 mins which is pretty good. Unless we get a pg through trade it'll be Gordon, because we just don't have the money.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
artificial
:-P

Well, Bucks just signed Lue so they have Mo Williams, Ramon Sessions, Bell, Redd & Lue in their backcourt.

Trading for Bell doesn't seems as a long reach now if Stefanski offers the right deal, although Milwaukee may be more interested in trading Mo Williams.

Green for Bell straight up works salary wise, but I don't think Mil would take it.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Well, Bucks just signed Lue so they have Mo Williams, Ramon Sessions, Bell, Redd & Lue in their backcourt.

Trading for Bell doesn't seems as a long reach now if Stefanski offers the right deal, although Milwaukee may be more interested in trading Mo Williams.

Green for Bell straight up works salary wise, but I don't think Mil would take it.
I think they'd go for it. Remember Bell didn't want to resign with them last year and was considering playing in Greece. He repeatedly said he didn't want to play with Milwaukee, signed a 5 year deal with Miami, but the Bucks matched. Then he went on to have an off shooting year for the bucks (38% from 2, 34% from 3). Not sure if I'd want that deal.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial

Your deal would work but the Sixers have their $2.8M trade exception and can combine it with cash to make the deal work without giving up any assets. Bell's 08-09 cap number is about $3.3M, so the Sixers can match up the numbers. Im just wondering if Stefanski would look at him.

He solves several needs. Back-up point, defender, shooter and can help fill the roster.

And why the hell is everyone so interested in Ty Lou??? I'm not a fan of his game. I think Dallas was pretty dumb to sign him last year when they had Kidd running the show and J.J. Barea doing just fine backing him up.
Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: