Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #16
ClintDogg
I airball my layups

ClintDogg has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Raptors sign jawai to guaranteed 2 years

Just got an update on this..........

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75445

"The biggest disappointment for the Toronto Raptors in opening action at the Las Vegas Summer League wasn't the 92-83 loss to the Sacramento Kings, it was that Australian rookie Nathan Jawai was unable to play because of a groin strain."
ClintDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintDogg
ive seen him in the youtube videos, and on TV heaps of times, and IN REAL LIFE TOO at games, believe me, this guy has got what it takes to play NBA.

This is why i said what i said.

Im from Australia too, just like Jawai.

I am just saying I have seen some top level Canadian University games and the players look awesome. It's all relative to the competition. I know they aren't NBA material. I have played against Jesse Young of the National team and played with Nate Dornakamp in the summer....they absolutely dominated. But they aren't in the NBA. Hoffa was even able to get 18/9 in Division 1 and he's was a total NBA disaster.

I hope you're right though. Not good he's got an injury. I am not saying Jawai won't be good, but we cannot expect anything and Raptor fans tend to get way ahead of themselves....ie. "we brought in Hassan Adams to guard all star shooting guards".
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #18
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Again, you haven't seen the guy play or had ever heard of him until probably a month ago, and you're basing 'how he goes about doing things' on a few articles and YouTube vids.

Nobody knows what to expect from this kid....let's keep expectations minimal. His drop stel etc needs to produce against NBA talent for him to have an impact. Glen Davis was like 18/9 in Division 1 College hoops, and was a bit player as a rookie. His skill level is probably 5 times that of Jawai. So we need to expect nothing, and be pleased with anything.

Except Glen Davis didn't play against big guys that play profeesional ball even by Australin standards. There weren't any decent 7fter's in the NCAA last year. He is laso bigger and has more length than Glen Davis. BTW I've been following him for the last year...when the first inital reports were coming out about this guy. I'm not a bandwaggon jumper like most people I do my reasearch. I expect this guy to be physical and bang people around when he's in the game and rebound...Eventually I think he'll also be a decent scorer. Yes his conditioning needs to be augmented ...but I'm sure the coaches will take care of that aspect. Hopefully we see him tonight in the SL game. I'm excited about this guy.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Except Glen Davis didn't play against big guys that play profeesional ball even by Australin standards. There weren't any decent 7fter's in the NCAA last year. He is laso bigger and has more length than Glen Davis. BTW I've been following him for the last year...when the first inital reports were coming out about this guy. I'm not a bandwaggon jumper like most people I do my reasearch. I expect this guy to be physical and bang people around when he's in the game and rebound...Eventually I think he'll also be a decent scorer. Yes his conditioning needs to be augmented ...but I'm sure the coaches will take care of that aspect. Hopefully we see him tonight in the SL game. I'm excited about this guy.

So Jawai is the one that played against better competition then Davis did at LSU?

Not to be a punk, but there were 6 players over 7 feet in the entire league that Jawai played in and Julius Hodge average over 9 bds per game.

A handful of names that have sniffed the NBA, so at least he was against some decent players even if some are older ie Anstey. I will be looking forward to watching him in SL too. Hopefully he throws down some nice jams as he seems to be know for in Australia.

Last edited by RapsFan : 07-14-2008 at 04:12 PM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
ClintDogg
I airball my layups

ClintDogg has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
So Jawai is the one that played against better competition then Davis did at LSU?

Not to be a punk, but there were 6 players over 7 feet in the entire league that Jawai played in and Julius Hodge average over 9 bds per game.

A handful of names that have sniffed the NBA, so at least he was against some decent players even if some are older ie Anstey. I will be looking forward to watching him in SL too. Hopefully he throws down some nice jams as he seems to be know for in Australia.

He will throw down on some big names, you watch.
ClintDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #21
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Not expecting him to become a scorer, but an agressive rebounder
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 AM   #22
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

I'm not really expecting much out of him this year and I kind of view him as being a bit of a long term project, however, our big man rotation looks a little thin to me. With a healthy JO, we have arguably one of the best front courts in the league, but off the bench who do we go to? I know I don't feel comfortable at all with Bargnani playing C and while I think he might be ok at PF I'm not so comfortable with that either. The only other guy is Kris Humphries and while I do like his hustle, I don't really view him as that big off the bench who can spell either Bosh or JO. I picture Jawai being that guy but I just think that the time he can really contribute is in a few years from now. I don't know, maybe Bargnani will be alright for us but I'm not that sold on him
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #23
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I have no expectations from him. Never saw him play in the summer league and had never heard of him before. Also, he's behind Humphries and Bargs in the depth chart and probably Joey Graham (who is the most versatile player in the league)...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #24
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

From what I seen of him (youtube vids) he looks like a hustling type of player. The type that will go after loose balls and put his body on the line. Every team can use a guy like that.

Last edited by Zan Tabak : 08-25-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM   #25
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I have no expectations from him. Never saw him play in the summer league and had never heard of him before. Also, he's behind Humphries and Bargs in the depth chart and probably Joey Graham (who is the most versatile player in the league)...

As in he's no good at every single position. Let's not get started on the garbage pile that is Joey Graham. He'll be buried on the bench this year behind at least two players, which is where he'll be the most effective.

I have to think that if Jawai shows even the slightest of the tenacious, athletic banger the team is still sorely missing, he'll be splitting minutes with Bargs ahead of Hump soon enough.

Unless Bargnani shows drastic improvement pretty early on, he won't be getting those well-we-don't-really-have-a-choice minutes that he got last year. As much as it'll hurt to bench his #1 pick, Colangelo isn't stupid.

Last edited by new noise : 08-26-2008 at 06:53 AM.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #26
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

I played with a guy at the Y, he is going to be the next LeBron James.....Ok, maybe not, but it was worth a shot.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

I hope Jawai simply adds some toughness to our team. He only need's a few minutes a game to help us shed our reputation as being a soft team. Betweem JO and Jawai this just may do it. Rebound, hustle and play tough defense, no easy layups, have some opponents hit the looor hard like it's a playoff game, that's what I want from him this year.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Jawai seems like a tough player. Hopefully he can bring energy to this team. From what I've seen and read hes got long arms, he can rebound well, can hit the 15 foot jumper he shoots a decent percentage from the line, finsihes strong around the rim. Their aren't many expectations on him but hopefully he can be a surprise.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: