Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Re: seattle should say no to raiding an existing nba team!!

Quote:
The Sonics have great fans when the team isn't good, Kblaze.

Perhaps...but I dont see them on tv.When the Sonics had Ray they were just absurd that one 50+ win year. Like a notch below the Warriors fans. Once they fell off id see a game there and...nothing. By last year they had like the worst attendance in the league. I understand that fans were caring less with the team likely to move...but still. I also know they didnt technically have the worst attendance but it was worse than the numbers. The city counted all seats sold...the ownership counted the seats actually filled when the game was played. Very different things.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
iamgine

I'm just thinking, if 2 teams can exist in a city, why not get 2 major cities for 1 team.

Not suggesting anything but for example, Portland Trailblazers move nearer to Seattle and get their name to Portland & Seattle Superblazers or something. 2 major cities from 2 different states joined up into 1 team, that would be epic. They will get more fanbase. Will that work at all?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #18
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Portland & Seattle Superblazers

the superblazers, i like it.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

I would hate for there to EVER be another expansion team... it waters down the league.

There is a lot of unhappiness about the Seattle situation because they actually did have pretty good fans, and a rather successful history. But if a team like Memphis/Atlanta or something like that without much history nor a great fanbase ends up moving, then fine.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
Vancouver-Grizz
Where is MOTEN???

I hope the Grizz goes to Seattle.... I am still Pi$$ed that they left Vancouver. Atleast if they are in Seattle, I can drive there and watch them. F*CK Heisley and his sneaky intentions!!!
Vancouver-Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #21
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

grizz or the clipps seem like the best choices...

and yea, a big NO to expansion, we don't need to water down the talent in the NBA.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #22
final.wrath
Banned

just start rooting for portland, the nba has no intention of getting a team back to seattle anyways.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #23
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Perhaps...but I dont see them on tv.When the Sonics had Ray they were just absurd that one 50+ win year. Like a notch below the Warriors fans. Once they fell off id see a game there and...nothing. By last year they had like the worst attendance in the league. I understand that fans were caring less with the team likely to move...but still. I also know they didnt technically have the worst attendance but it was worse than the numbers. The city counted all seats sold...the ownership counted the seats actually filled when the game was played. Very different things.

tv is just about ratings-- ratings follow the nba personalities

the actual/sold distinction is important but...

memphis and indy had worse total averages than we did

but minnesota charlotte and philly (plus memphis and indy) had less percentage attendance in terms of capacity

of course, many of us were soured on the team because bennett et al did blow it up in order to show lack of fan interest which strengthed their case

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 07-13-2008 at 11:53 PM.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I'm just thinking, if 2 teams can exist in a city, why not get 2 major cities for 1 team.

Not suggesting anything but for example, Portland Trailblazers move nearer to Seattle and get their name to Portland & Seattle Superblazers or something. 2 major cities from 2 different states joined up into 1 team, that would be epic. They will get more fanbase. Will that work at all?

kansas city and omaha shared the kings before!!

superblazers huh...

paul allen are you reading?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #25
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz
I hope the Grizz goes to Seattle.... I am still Pi$$ed that they left Vancouver. Atleast if they are in Seattle, I can drive there and watch them. F*CK Heisley and his sneaky intentions!!!

i really liked having vancover, seattle and portland in the league at the same time

it was too bad that he moved the team-- too bad there wasnt ish back then
Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #26
Ballstar1982
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Sorry RBP, your heart is in the right place, but your head is not. Expansion is hurting the league, and this wasn't the fault of the Sonics, or OKC for that matter, it was the fault of Clay Bennett, and the NBA's executives and owners for letting it happen.

There are teams in this league that are not cutting it, not making it financially, and those should have been the teams that went to OKC, not the Sonics.

Adding an expansion team just makes the league worse. The correct answer is moving one of the teams that aren't doing well into Seattle. I'm talking about the Grizzlies, the Hornets, the young teams whose cities are not supporting their franchises like David Stern predicted when the NBA first expanded there.

Mathius

I think those that throw the New Orleans Hornets into the discussion for a possible move are foolish. I believe that as long as they have Chris Paul then they will be a viable franchise. If you saw this past years playoffs, it is clear that they will continue to build support as that city recovers.

My opinion is this, i cannot see the former Seattle team lasting very long in OKC, not a major sports city if you ask me.
Ballstar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballstar1982
I think those that throw the New Orleans Hornets into the discussion for a possible move are foolish. I believe that as long as they have Chris Paul then they will be a viable franchise. If you saw this past years playoffs, it is clear that they will continue to build support as that city recovers.

My opinion is this, i cannot see the former Seattle team lasting very long in OKC, not a major sports city if you ask me.

chris paul can be traded...

part of the sinister plot of moving the sonics was:

trade ray allen
do not resign rashard

in order to alienate the fans

we lost almost 50 points a game with these moves and
went on to win 20 games--- the worst in sonic history
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 PM   #28
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Seattle will have another team by 2013!

No reason for expansion!

If there is no team in Seattle by 2013 then Clay Bennett will have to pay Seattle an additional 30 million dollars. David Stern won't let that happen to his good buddy and Clay Bennett doesn't want it to happen because with the money he gives up, he could've used to pay for the majority of the new arena that he wanted.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #29
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
Seattle will have another team by 2013!

No reason for expansion!

If there is no team in Seattle by 2013 then Clay Bennett will have to pay Seattle an additional 30 million dollars. David Stern won't let that happen to his good buddy and Clay Bennett doesn't want it to happen because with the money he gives up, he could've used to pay for the majority of the new arena that he wanted.

i hope you are right!

as for me, i dont think it will motivate clay to go to extraordinary measure on seattle's behalf

i think he and the other owners wont mind writing it off as a business expense in the end...

man-- i hope i a wrong though
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #30
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Well $30 million doesn't seem much by itself for a billionaire, but coupled with the $75 million he already payed...thats $105 million just to move the team.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: