Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
PistonsFan1119
I brick open layups

Default McGrady to Pistons?

I was watching Around The Horn today n they opened with a story about the Pistons talking with the Rockets to get T-Mac. They said that it was reported by sum paper in Toronto so who knows how accurate it is. I wouldnt think it would be a good fit. Wut do u guys think?
PistonsFan1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

Default Re: McGrady to Pistons?

No thanks. I'd rather have Billups and Tayshaun than a McGrady for 1/2 the season.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

It is big talk on the radio today.

The way it sounds, Dumars is REALLY trying to get this garbage deal done some how some way.

So long to our long run of playoff success.

It was nice knowing you 'second round'

May as well bring in Grant Hill too… and teal jerseys.

Congrats to the Houston Rockets… no matter whom they get, they will vastly improve while we take 3 steps back and begin our rebuilding…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

It could be a great trade for both teams depending on who Detroit is trying to trade. I could see sending Billups & Hamilton for T-Mac. Then we would have a back court of Stuckey & T-Mac. That's an upgrade for us. It would also be an upgrade for Houston because they could then use Rafer as a backup and would have Billups, Hamilton, Battier, and Yao as starters. Their starting lineup would look better than the Pistons the year they won the championship.

Do you really think that having a starting lineup of Stuckey, T-Mac, Prince, Maxiell and Sheed wouldn't be enough to get past the 2nd round? I'd say they would be one of the favorites to come out of the east again. That's a tough team to defend and score against. That's a tall lineup.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

McGrady struggles to play 82 games yet alone a hundred, which is about how many games we play every season pretty much since 2003…

I'm sure Kander will help but McGrady has historical back issues. Loosing Billups, who is our backup? Will Bynum, Alex Acker?

I really cannot see Lindsey Hunter returning and if so it will be like last season in a VERY limited role.

I just don't want to see Dumars make a trade for the sake of making a trade…

I am starting to believe that it may be best to see what Michael Curry can do with our current roster… Amir and Maxiell have another year now, Samb has potential, and Afflalo and Stuckey got some experience too. We still have the MLE to bring in some one to help out up front. Some one mentioned Kristic? Whats he worth? Will he take the MLE? Kander can work his herbal magic on him.

/frustrated and confused
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
dd24
College superstar

I mentioned Krstic. I think he would be a smart move. I would guess if they made a trade that involved Billups they would need to find a backup PG. I can't think of a lot out there but if Marbury gets bought out he would be a potential backup. He's taken a lot of bad press but the guy can play and could be good in a limited role to come off the bench and provide a scoring spark. Houston also has a ton of PG's and could potentially send one in a trade as well.

McGrady's health is a concern to me as well. Billups has went down a couple times in the past few years too though. I would think at this point of his career he has the same chances of getting injured as McGrady. McGrady is still one of the best scorers in the NBA. If we aren't happy with trading for one of the best scorers the league has who will we be happy with?
Old 07-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Looks like it's not true anyway.... here's the latest:

Quote:
A report out of Detroit indicated the Pistons were close to getting a deal done that would land them Houston's Tracy McGrady. Sources I spoke with this morning confirmed that the story is not true. In fact, the two teams haven't had any type of talks with each other in quite some time. Last I checked, telepathic deals aren't allowed in the NBA. Maybe this rumor was planted to get both sides talking again. Michigan Live

As I wrote about earlier this week, Denver's Carmelo Anthony and McGrady are two players that Detroit have a lot of interest in. Their efforts to land Anthony didn't work, but that doesn't mean the two won't resume talks at a later time. The same goes for potential talks in the future with Houston about McGrady. Michigan Live
Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

It might be wise to wait until we've seen some of the summer league too. If Samb is as good as they are saying and Johnson is that much better right there are a couple of guys who can come in and give us some quality minutes at center. Apparently Johnson has gotten taller, I read this on the Pistons website

Quote:
Question: How tall is Amir Johnson? He’s frequently listed at 6-foot-9, yet I’ve read on Pistons.com that he’s 6-foot-11. Which is it?

Langlois: I asked Mike Abdenour that question on the first day of training camp this year. Both he and Amir told me that when they went to measure him this year, the device they use was broken, so Abdenour told me they went with the same measurement as last year – when, Abdenour says, he measured 6-foot-11. When I asked Amir, he said, “6-10 or 6-11.” It seems to fascinate fans more than it does Amir or the Pistons.

The Pistons summer league starting lineup is pretty impressive with Stuckey, Afflalo, Sharpe, Johnson and Samb. All of those guys could be in the lineup for the Pistons this year. We know three of them are for sure, but Samb could get some time this year. If Johnson steps it up we could return with the same starters and still have a shot at the championship.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
The Pistons summer league starting lineup is pretty impressive with Stuckey, Afflalo, Sharpe, Johnson and Samb. All of those guys could be in the lineup for the Pistons this year. We know three of them are for sure, but Samb could get some time this year. If Johnson steps it up we could return with the same starters and still have a shot at the championship.

I am starting to feel better about our current make up. With a little fire, and a new hard hard working hard nosed coach, It is probably best we keep with what he have already established.

One thing we do have is chemistry. Our boys have been together a long time and know each other well. Our biggest enemy right now is complacency. Being complacent is what has hurt us since 2006. They felt that they could come back at any time…

Michael Curry was a successful player because he played with heart and passion. He came to work every night and worked hard. He wasn't a star and had to earn his keep in this league. If he can bring that same attitude into the locker room, we might have a chance at achieving with this roster.

In the end, I DO NOT want to see a lackluster trade made simply for the sake of it… Why mess with a formula that works for something thats questionable?
Didn't Coka-Cola try this when they changed to "new" Coke in the 80's?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #10
PistonsFan1119
I brick open layups

I agree with Sonic R. I dont think that a Stucky and T-mac backcourt would be any better that Rip and Chauncey. T-Mac has missed 66 games over the last 3 seasons and that wouldnt be any good for us. Also just like Sonic R said we wouldnt have any back up Point really.
PistonsFan1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

Personally I don't want t-mac. And I'm tiring of hearing "well lets just trade chauncey because stuckey can replace him." I know stuck has huge potential and I love the guy but he's nowhere close as important to the team now as chauncey, it'd be a huge downgrade. Give the kid some time to get better and learn a few things from chauncey, even he didn't really become a good starter until a couple of years into his career. If we were to package chauncey in a deal (likely if we were to get t-mac) I'd want it to be because we get a good value for him, not cause he's "replacable" like everyone claims.
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:48 AM   #12
shaoyut
National High School Star

he is not worth billups and prince
shaoyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
idizzle
Good college starter

T-Mac wants to play with the Pistons.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../80716006/1048
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
porkchops
Can barely lace up my sneakers

This would be huge. It would take the defensive prowess that the Pistons have carried over the years assuming the deal gets done, but it's still an upgrade IMO.
porkchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

That makes things much more interesting now that T-Mac gave it his blessing. I don't see it as a downgrade as long as a few things happen. First and most importantly would be if McGrady stayed healthy. The past couple seasons Chauncey hasn't played in every game either, but he still has played in more than T-Mac.

Secondly, we know that Chauncey would be involved in this trade, which puts Stuckey right in the spotlight. The Pistons would still need a backup PG. Houston would have too many at that point and would need to send one of theirs as well. According to the ESPN trade generator the trade works with Rip & Chauncey for just T-Mac, but it also works with Rip & Chauncey for T-Mac & Steve Francis or Luther Head. I am sure Houston would want to unload one of their PG's. If they really didn't it may free up some space to go out and get somebody but it's not like there is anybody really available anymore. If Marbury was cut he might be an option too. I know he's taken a lot of bad press in NY, but Detroit certainly doesn't have that type of spotlight and we know he can still ball. I think he could be good coming off the bench and providing some scoring.

I think Stuckey can be what Chauncey was defensively this coming year. As much as I love Chauncey he is the teams weakest defender that starts and Stuckey has more size than Chauncey so he could create some big match up problems. I think Chauncey is obviously better at running the team and controlling the tempo of the game, that's just something Stuckey has to work on. In the long run though, Stuckey really could be the better PG of the two. We already know T-Mac is one of the most prolific scorers in the league so he is an upgrade from Rip. So with a starting lineup of Stuckey, T-Mac, Prince, Maxiell, and Sheed, it adds size to the Pistons lineup that the really needed against a team like Boston. If some of these young guys we have start producing like we all hope they can, Detroit could be in a better situation. Of course, if T-Mac's back starts acting up, especially come playoff time that could really put Detroit in a bad spot. I think T-Mac did a ton for Houston last year. They competed in a very tough western conference without Yao. It's a gamble but it's not one I would mind. What other superstars could Detroit even go after? Melo is definately not available. Denver cut the salary they wanted to. I would take McGrady over Vince Carter. Other than that it's just try to cut a bunch of salary and wait until 2010.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: