Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 04-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Baller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Philippine Basketball Association Thread

TIGERS BAG DUREMDES, CABAGNOT, CALIMAG IN MULTI-PLAYER DEAL

Miranda, Ramos, draft pick to Sta. Lucia

Thursday, 05 April 2007

When Sta. Lucia and Coca-Cola collide on Wednesday, Kenneth Duremdes will be donning the red and white Tigers jersey alongside former teammates John Arigo and Ali Peek.

Confused?

While most people were preoccupied planning their vacations this Holy Week, the Realtors and the Tigers were busy on the negotiating table.

Apparently, the two ballclubs reached a deal Tuesday night with Sta. Lucia dealing Duremdes – the 1998 PBA Most Valuable Player – along with sophomore guard Alex Cabagnot and reserve forward Ricky Calimag to Coca-Cola in a multi-player swap.

"It's great that we got talented players whom we feel can help us big in our campaign not only this conference but in the seasons to come," said Coca-Cola coach Binky Favis.

"We got a veteran player in Kenneth who, with his experience, will bring leadership to the team, while I believe Alex is one of the best playmakers in the league," he added.

In return, the Tigers, who were removed from the San Miguel Corporation umbrella following the sale of Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines Inc. to The Coca-Cola Company, gave up former Far Eastern U point guard Dennis Miranda, substitute center Manny Ramos and Coke's second round pick in the 2008 Rookie Draft.

Trade documents have already been forwarded to the Commissioner’s Office for approval.

"I had no other choice but to sacrifice one of my marquee players because of our bulging payroll. Had I decided to keep Kenneth, we would be forced to play with just a nine-man lineup next season. It can’t be done," said Sta. Lucia governor Buddy Encarnado.

"Sayang si Cabagnot dahil bata pa. But no one would take Kenneth on a one-on-one trade," Encarnado added.

Before the trade, Sta. Lucia was the only team in the league still paying players a maximum amount of P500,000 a month. Duremdes, and Dennis Espino are guaranteed of that pay up to December next year. Marlou Aquino used to receive the same amount until the expiration of his old contract last season.

Aquino now gets the maximum pay of P350,000 a month under the revised salary cap rule.

Also under the revised cap rule, Cabagnot, the second round pick overall last season, is guaranteed of the maximum package of P8.5 million in his first three years in the league.

The same package went to Kelly Williams after being picked No. 1 overall by Sta. Lucia in the most recent Rookie Draft.

"We’re really having a hard time getting players we need because of our bulging pay ceiling. With this trade, we opened up some room to maneuver next year," said Encarnado.

"Of course, I was saddened by what happened, both players are close to me. But it’s really management’s call to make the deal because of the salary cap. Dennis and Marlou now have bigger responsibilities on the exit of Kenneth, Alex and Ric," said Sta. Lucia coach Boyet Fernandez.

Duremdes, now 33 and one of the league's 25 Greatest Players, said he feels sad about the development but at the same time excited to face a new challenge in his career.

"Nang dumating ako sa Sta. Lucia akala ko doon na ako magre-retire. Five years ko na sila (Realtors) kasama kaya medy malungkot tayo," said Duremdes, who spent most of last season on the injured list. "Sa isang banda parang bagong buhay ito sa akin. Panibagong challenge."

Coca-Cola is Duremdes' fourth team in a career now spanning 13 years. He spent his rookie year with the now disbanded Sunkist, which made him the league's third pick overall in 1995 before trading him to Alaska in 1997.

Duremdes played a key role in the Aces’ rotation and, in seven years helped the team win two of its 10 championships before Alaska dealt him to the Realtors on Draft Day of 2003 in exchange for Sta. Lucia's first round pick (fifth pick overall). (DBC/NC)

Last edited by Baller1986 : 04-05-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Baller1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Baller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Philippine Basketball Association Thread

Current PBA Standings as of April 5, 2007.

Team Win Loss Pct

Red Bull 6 1
Alaska 5 2
Brgy. Ginebra 5 2
Air21 5 2
Talk N Text 3 4
Coca-Cola 3 4
Sta. Lucia 2 4
Welcoat 2 4
Purefoods 2 5
San Miguel 1 6
Old 04-05-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

SAN MIGUEL FINALLY BREAKS INTO WIN COLUMN

McMillan stars as Beermen check 10-game skid this season

Wednesday, 04 April 2007

The breaks San Miguel Beer had long been longing for finally came its way.

It came aplenty at crunch time as the Beermen checked their 10-game slump in the 2006-07 PBA season, withstanding the Talk N Text Phone Pals, 106-98, in their Holy Wednesday tiff at the Araneta Coliseum.

Paul McMillan scattered 41 points and the Beermen watched the Pals self-destruct on their endgame charge as the Philippine Cup runners-up nailed their first win in seven starts in the 2007 Talk N Text Fiesta Conference.

"Finally, we got one," said coach Siot Tanquingcen as his Beermen stopped their bleeding.

"Some people might say it’s bound to happen. But we just can’t sit and wait for that to happen. The boys worked for it," Tanquingcen added.

True enough, the Beermen worked hard for it. Aided by the Pals’ crucial miscues and misses at endgame, the Beermen scored their breakthrough win five weeks into the season-ending tourney.

Trailing by 16 points at 82-98, Talk N Text had come within six when it ran into a maze of errors and misses and yielded the game just the same.

After threatening at 92-98, the Pals missed three charities, committed three turnovers and groaned as the refs reversed one call giving the Beermen a crucial possession entering the final minute of play.

McMillan scored a short stab in the ensuing play and the Beermen all but wrapped up the game at 102-95.

The Beermen also gained a break early on as Donbel Belano was ejected from the game after hitting Dorian Pena in the groin at the onset of the fourth quarter.

The incident triggered a near free-for-all and also caused technical fouls on Pena and Harvey Carey for second motion.

The Pals remained in search for successive wins in the season-ending tourney, foiled in their third try. They slid to 3-4.

Talk N Text actually took control at the start but San Miguel closed the first quarter with a nine-to-nothing run to surge ahead, 23-21, going into the second period.

JJ Sullinger, Mark Cardona and Jay Washington came through for the Pals in the second quarter as Talk N Text seized a 48-44 lead at the half.

But San Miguel reestablished control in the third quarter and held on to the lead to the finish for its first victory since winning the first two games of the Philippine Cup Finals against eventual champion Barangay Ginebra.

"We’ve got the first win. But it’s just one win. Ours is still a work in progress," said Tanquingcen.

"I’m thankful to my players as they continue to work hard and remain positive though we’re deep down in the chart. Kung ibang team yan, sila mismo doubtful na kung kaya nilang mag-compete," Tanquingcen added. (NC)

The scores:

San Miguel 108 – McMillan 41, Wilson 14, Calaguio 14, Racela 13, Ildefonso 11, Adriano 6, Tenorio 4, Pena 3, Cablay 2, Gonzales 0, Adducul 0.

Talk N Text 103 – Cardona 29, Sullinger 21, Washington 19, Allado 11, Carey 8, Billones 5, De Ocampo 5, Belano 3, Fran 2.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Top 20 PBA Greatest Monickers Of All Time

Prologue: Monicker can also be spelled “moniker”(bonus knowledge right there). Only Robert Jaworski’s monickers made the list twice. There are only two tandem’s monickers (read on, you’ll get what I mean) in my list. One monicker was shared by two great players (Thanks be to Mr. Eala). Without further ado, the Top 20 Greatest Monickers list below.

1.The Big J - Robert Jaworski

At 6 feet tall (or short, if you are cynical), he aint that big but this monicker fits him. Derived perhaps from his bigger than life persona. Or more likely, because of his large mitts. As he also cared (still cares) for his fans, it can also apply to Big J’s big heart. Thus, this tops my list. Derivative: The Barreling Big J.

2. The Living Legend - Robert Jaworski

Coined in mid-80s when he took over the Ginebra reign, he was or still is, the unequaled Living Legend of Philippine Basketball. Letdown: After he retired (did he?), can you still say “living”?

3. Skywalker - Samboy Lim

Next to Jaworski, Avelino “Samboy” Lim was the only player that can truly electrify the court and the fans. Why? Because of the aerial voyages (sorry Vergel) he made. Thus he was called “The Skywalker”! The “Samboy” nick alone was uber-cool on its own but putting the tag, SKYWALKER was something huh? Letdown: I believe one NBA player was labeled the “Skywalker” earlier than him. But what the heck, I like it anyway. Letdown # 2: He was injured so much throughout his career, people should have devised a back-up monicker, like perhaps, “LandRover” or “Caned-Walker”

4. The Captain - Alvin Patrimonio

Earlier it was “The Captain” but it was later changed to “Captain Lionheart” by, yes you guessed it, the Dean, Quinito Henson. Probably thinking that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was the fisrt guy to use that, it was changed to have the original factor. Also, I figured, each team has it’s own captain isn’t it? It would be disrespectful to team’s own captain if players called out Alvin Patrimoino, “Captain”. Thus, it was changed to “Captain Lionheart”. Letdown: Sounds like a Disney film.

5. The Dynamite or Dynamite - Shared by Danny Seigle and Chito Loyzaga

Both befit the trade name. But Chito Loyzaga was the original Dynamite. Not because of his explosiveness to the hoop as done by Danny Seigle but because of his timely 3-point bombs. I just don’t know if there is code of conduct in making monickers, but it should be a rule that there should be no repetitive use of monickers in a span of 25 years. Noli Eala relived the use of the Dynamite. He could have easily given Danny the, “C4″. Letdown: Chito “The Dynamite” Loyzaga can’t jump over a Century Tuna can. Plus, the monicker was re-cycled.

6. The Bull - Nelson Asaytono

People jumped on this monicker faster than Nelson can take his customary 30 shots a game. People figured, we better start calling him “The Bull” rather than calling him the other option, the downright funny “Baby Face”. Long before the Red Bull franchise enter the PBA, Asaytono already pitched the energy drink. When a corporation comes calling to let you know that they will use your monicker or image in an ad, your nickname made it. Derivative: Enrico Villanueva’s “The Raging Bull”.

7. The Director - Hector Calma

In his time, Hector Calma was the premier point guard of the PBA. His steady orchestration of San Miguel plays gave him this name. You know you got a monicker winner, when it rhymes with the player’s name and equally, it describes him. Hector “The Director”, Swak!

8. The Tank - Noli Locsin

I didn’t follow Noli Locsin in the amateurs so I don’t know if the “The Tank” originated in his early days. But in his PBA Debut, Sev Sarmenta call him that, The Tank. And boy, he was just that. Letdown: He played quality basketball for only 5 to 7 years. When he played at Pop, coached by I believe Derek Pumaren, he later, well, tanked. Derivative: “The Flying Tank”.

9. The Spark - Mark Caguioa

One of the new-generation players with ultra-sticky monickers, Mark Cagiuoa was baptized by Quinito Henson as “The Spark”. For a while, Mark “The Spark” Caguioa would be the way to introduce Mark. But the emergence of Jayjay Helterbrand as the lighting fast partner paved the way for Mark’s second nice tag, known as the other half of “The Fast and the Furious”. Mark being the ‘Furious” one.

10. The Magic Man - Dondon Ampalayo

Dondon Ampalayo early years was truly magical. Not an original nick, ‘cause mid 80’s, Eeeeeervin ‘Magic’ Johnson was already creating havoc in the NBA. But hell, this is a classic monicker and definitely makes the list.

11. The Destroyer - Rudy Distrito

Need no explanation here but what the heck, I’ll say something anyway. He is truly “The Destroyer”. Even his own career (and later, life), he virtually finished it off in smacking Jeffrey Cariaso. And well, you know your hoop news. Where he is now? He’s out west and in a mess.

12. Tapal King - Philip Cesar

What can I say? Some 25 years later, he is still known as the “Tapal King”. Besides that, that basketball parlance is still used today, as in “Tapal!”. To add, Philip Cezar was able to score a couple of endorsements by being the “Tapal King”. Remember his Vulcaseal commercials? A sign that his monicker is a hit. A.K.A. ‘The Scholar’.

13. The Tower Of Power - Benjie Paras

Funny how you can be called “The Tower of Power” when you’re only 6-4. But hey, it was daring and original. Only Joe Cantada might have thought of this. This surely beats “Bondying”.

14. The Triggerman - Allan Caidic

Another all-original monicker, “The Triggerman” surely applied to Allan Caidic. True story: In an old internet article I read 2 - 3 years back, an English Korean daily wrote, Allan “The Triggerman” Caidic blah blah blah… Yes, there was a monicker insert in his name. Even the Koreans was caught up calling him that.

15. The Flash - Bal David

Quinito might have baptized more monicker than any other commentator here in the Philippines. “The Flash” is another Henson’s baby. Bal “The Flash” David’s legendary hits (against Mobiline, one that made Taulava cry and another against San Miguel, the buzzer beater) truly made his monicker valid. With his flash moves, he was able to do those stuff.

16. The Slasher - Rodney Santos

Given by Quinito too (I think Quinito loves to use “The” so much). “The Slasher” was given to Rodney because of the way he slashes in the middle. But later in his career, waiting for a pass of a double team from Menk, he evolved into a three-point shooter. Note that this alias should be said and shouted in an angry fashion. Otherwise, it won’t be as effective like the way Quinito says this… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! If said in a lame and casual manner, this will not make the list. So practice saying… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! Letdown: Rodney Santos facial feature helped him in landing him the monicker. A little unfair for the other guys, you know.

17. Bruise Brothers
- Ricky Relosa and Yoyoy Villamin

Bruise Brothers is only one of two tag team player monickers I got here in this list. Why it made the list? Anytime you forgot a player’s name and you can remember his monicker, that’s gotta be a good monicker. You will forget, Ricky. You will forget, Relosa. But you will not forget his partnership with Yoyoy Villamin, being the “Bruise Brothers”. Letdown: Relosa later had an altercation with hot-tempered Ronnie Thompkins. He smacked Thompkins at his nape prompting Thompkins to run after him. No longer in tandem with Yoyoy, he ran towards his bench. Thus, by this time, he was not the other half of the Bruise Brothers anymore BUT a bruised (ego) brother.

18. Mr. Excitement - Bong Alvarez

This was probably a Sev Sarmeta cooking. By virtue of using “Mr”, it should make the list. How many hot-monickers we have with “Mr.” in it? Just don’t bring up Mr. Gayoso’s, Mr. Adrenaline because that monicker was a little bit coined to emphasize his utter delight to shoot. Don’t bring up Mr. Quality Minutes or Mr. Fourth Quarter Man either, as these were given to too many players. (More on this in my later posts.)

19. The Fast and the Furious - Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand

Why only ranked 19? It’s still not tested by time. Let’s see how this hold up. In the meantime, the two are cashing in on endorsement deals using this monicker. I think they should thank Mico Halili for this. But you see, Jayjay is a whiny kid, his tenure at Ginebra is not built on a rock. Remember how he sat out one season because his contract negotiation with Ginebra soured a bit? Give 2 to 3 seasons and lets see if the tandem stays. If the tandem stays, likely, so too the monicker. Derivative: Ang Mabilis at ang Mabangis. Cool!

20. El Presidente - Ramon Fernandez

For its sheer coolness, Don Ramon’s El Presidente is making this list. I mean, how many spanish monickers out there huh? Nada! Intiendes?

Source:
http://hoops.blink.ph/2006/10/30/top...s-of-all-time/

Idagdag ko lang mga former Ginebra din kasi sila.

21. Aerial Voyager- Vergel Meneses- When he won back to back slamdunk championship in 1992-93. He is one of the greatest flyer in PBA History.

22. The Big Deal Jun Limpot- Nakuha yata niya ito coming out from DLSU and siya yung number one pick nung 1993. Siya yata ang meron pinakamalaking sahod sa mga naging Rookie sa PBA.

23. The Flying A Johhny Abarientos- truly one of the original monickers of all time.

24. The General Rommel Adducul- ang alam ko si Mico Halili ang nagtawag sa kanya ng The General nung nasa MBA pa siya playing for the Manila Metro Stars.

25. Skyscraper Marlou Aquino- si Quinito Henson yata nagtawag sa kanya nung first game niya sa PBA. Scyscraper nga naman ang laki eh 6-9.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Top 20 PBA Greatest Monickers Of All Time

Prologue: Monicker can also be spelled “moniker”(bonus knowledge right there). Only Robert Jaworski’s monickers made the list twice. There are only two tandem’s monickers (read on, you’ll get what I mean) in my list. One monicker was shared by two great players (Thanks be to Mr. Eala). Without further ado, the Top 20 Greatest Monickers list below.

1.The Big J - Robert Jaworski

At 6 feet tall (or short, if you are cynical), he aint that big but this monicker fits him. Derived perhaps from his bigger than life persona. Or more likely, because of his large mitts. As he also cared (still cares) for his fans, it can also apply to Big J’s big heart. Thus, this tops my list. Derivative: The Barreling Big J.

2. The Living Legend - Robert Jaworski

Coined in mid-80s when he took over the Ginebra reign, he was or still is, the unequaled Living Legend of Philippine Basketball. Letdown: After he retired (did he?), can you still say “living”?

3. Skywalker - Samboy Lim

Next to Jaworski, Avelino “Samboy” Lim was the only player that can truly electrify the court and the fans. Why? Because of the aerial voyages (sorry Vergel) he made. Thus he was called “The Skywalker”! The “Samboy” nick alone was uber-cool on its own but putting the tag, SKYWALKER was something huh? Letdown: I believe one NBA player was labeled the “Skywalker” earlier than him. But what the heck, I like it anyway. Letdown # 2: He was injured so much throughout his career, people should have devised a back-up monicker, like perhaps, “LandRover” or “Caned-Walker”

4. The Captain - Alvin Patrimonio

Earlier it was “The Captain” but it was later changed to “Captain Lionheart” by, yes you guessed it, the Dean, Quinito Henson. Probably thinking that Kareem Abdul Jabbar was the fisrt guy to use that, it was changed to have the original factor. Also, I figured, each team has it’s own captain isn’t it? It would be disrespectful to team’s own captain if players called out Alvin Patrimoino, “Captain”. Thus, it was changed to “Captain Lionheart”. Letdown: Sounds like a Disney film.

5. The Dynamite or Dynamite - Shared by Danny Seigle and Chito Loyzaga

Both befit the trade name. But Chito Loyzaga was the original Dynamite. Not because of his explosiveness to the hoop as done by Danny Seigle but because of his timely 3-point bombs. I just don’t know if there is code of conduct in making monickers, but it should be a rule that there should be no repetitive use of monickers in a span of 25 years. Noli Eala relived the use of the Dynamite. He could have easily given Danny the, “C4″. Letdown: Chito “The Dynamite” Loyzaga can’t jump over a Century Tuna can. Plus, the monicker was re-cycled.

6. The Bull - Nelson Asaytono

People jumped on this monicker faster than Nelson can take his customary 30 shots a game. People figured, we better start calling him “The Bull” rather than calling him the other option, the downright funny “Baby Face”. Long before the Red Bull franchise enter the PBA, Asaytono already pitched the energy drink. When a corporation comes calling to let you know that they will use your monicker or image in an ad, your nickname made it. Derivative: Enrico Villanueva’s “The Raging Bull”.

7. The Director - Hector Calma

In his time, Hector Calma was the premier point guard of the PBA. His steady orchestration of San Miguel plays gave him this name. You know you got a monicker winner, when it rhymes with the player’s name and equally, it describes him. Hector “The Director”, Swak!

8. The Tank - Noli Locsin

I didn’t follow Noli Locsin in the amateurs so I don’t know if the “The Tank” originated in his early days. But in his PBA Debut, Sev Sarmenta call him that, The Tank. And boy, he was just that. Letdown: He played quality basketball for only 5 to 7 years. When he played at Pop, coached by I believe Derek Pumaren, he later, well, tanked. Derivative: “The Flying Tank”.

9. The Spark - Mark Caguioa

One of the new-generation players with ultra-sticky monickers, Mark Cagiuoa was baptized by Quinito Henson as “The Spark”. For a while, Mark “The Spark” Caguioa would be the way to introduce Mark. But the emergence of Jayjay Helterbrand as the lighting fast partner paved the way for Mark’s second nice tag, known as the other half of “The Fast and the Furious”. Mark being the ‘Furious” one.

10. The Magic Man - Dondon Ampalayo

Dondon Ampalayo early years was truly magical. Not an original nick, ‘cause mid 80’s, Eeeeeervin ‘Magic’ Johnson was already creating havoc in the NBA. But hell, this is a classic monicker and definitely makes the list.

11. The Destroyer - Rudy Distrito

Need no explanation here but what the heck, I’ll say something anyway. He is truly “The Destroyer”. Even his own career (and later, life), he virtually finished it off in smacking Jeffrey Cariaso. And well, you know your hoop news. Where he is now? He’s out west and in a mess.

12. Tapal King - Philip Cesar

What can I say? Some 25 years later, he is still known as the “Tapal King”. Besides that, that basketball parlance is still used today, as in “Tapal!”. To add, Philip Cezar was able to score a couple of endorsements by being the “Tapal King”. Remember his Vulcaseal commercials? A sign that his monicker is a hit. A.K.A. ‘The Scholar’.

13. The Tower Of Power - Benjie Paras

Funny how you can be called “The Tower of Power” when you’re only 6-4. But hey, it was daring and original. Only Joe Cantada might have thought of this. This surely beats “Bondying”.

14. The Triggerman - Allan Caidic

Another all-original monicker, “The Triggerman” surely applied to Allan Caidic. True story: In an old internet article I read 2 - 3 years back, an English Korean daily wrote, Allan “The Triggerman” Caidic blah blah blah… Yes, there was a monicker insert in his name. Even the Koreans was caught up calling him that.

15. The Flash - Bal David

Quinito might have baptized more monicker than any other commentator here in the Philippines. “The Flash” is another Henson’s baby. Bal “The Flash” David’s legendary hits (against Mobiline, one that made Taulava cry and another against San Miguel, the buzzer beater) truly made his monicker valid. With his flash moves, he was able to do those stuff.

16. The Slasher - Rodney Santos

Given by Quinito too (I think Quinito loves to use “The” so much). “The Slasher” was given to Rodney because of the way he slashes in the middle. But later in his career, waiting for a pass of a double team from Menk, he evolved into a three-point shooter. Note that this alias should be said and shouted in an angry fashion. Otherwise, it won’t be as effective like the way Quinito says this… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! If said in a lame and casual manner, this will not make the list. So practice saying… The Slashhhhheeer!!!! Letdown: Rodney Santos facial feature helped him in landing him the monicker. A little unfair for the other guys, you know.

17. Bruise Brothers
- Ricky Relosa and Yoyoy Villamin

Bruise Brothers is only one of two tag team player monickers I got here in this list. Why it made the list? Anytime you forgot a player’s name and you can remember his monicker, that’s gotta be a good monicker. You will forget, Ricky. You will forget, Relosa. But you will not forget his partnership with Yoyoy Villamin, being the “Bruise Brothers”. Letdown: Relosa later had an altercation with hot-tempered Ronnie Thompkins. He smacked Thompkins at his nape prompting Thompkins to run after him. No longer in tandem with Yoyoy, he ran towards his bench. Thus, by this time, he was not the other half of the Bruise Brothers anymore BUT a bruised (ego) brother.

18. Mr. Excitement - Bong Alvarez

This was probably a Sev Sarmeta cooking. By virtue of using “Mr”, it should make the list. How many hot-monickers we have with “Mr.” in it? Just don’t bring up Mr. Gayoso’s, Mr. Adrenaline because that monicker was a little bit coined to emphasize his utter delight to shoot. Don’t bring up Mr. Quality Minutes or Mr. Fourth Quarter Man either, as these were given to too many players. (More on this in my later posts.)

19. The Fast and the Furious - Mark Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand

Why only ranked 19? It’s still not tested by time. Let’s see how this hold up. In the meantime, the two are cashing in on endorsement deals using this monicker. I think they should thank Mico Halili for this. But you see, Jayjay is a whiny kid, his tenure at Ginebra is not built on a rock. Remember how he sat out one season because his contract negotiation with Ginebra soured a bit? Give 2 to 3 seasons and lets see if the tandem stays. If the tandem stays, likely, so too the monicker. Derivative: Ang Mabilis at ang Mabangis. Cool!

20. El Presidente - Ramon Fernandez

For its sheer coolness, Don Ramon’s El Presidente is making this list. I mean, how many spanish monickers out there huh? Nada! Intiendes?

Source:
http://hoops.blink.ph/2006/10/30/top...s-of-all-time/

Idagdag ko lang mga former Ginebra din kasi sila.

21. Aerial Voyager- Vergel Meneses- When he won back to back slamdunk championship in 1992-93. He is one of the greatest flyer in PBA History.

22. The Big Deal Jun Limpot- Nakuha yata niya ito coming out from DLSU and siya yung number one pick nung 1993. Siya yata ang meron pinakamalaking sahod sa mga naging Rookie sa PBA.

23. The Flying A Johhny Abarientos- truly one of the original monickers of all time.

24. The General Rommel Adducul- ang alam ko si Mico Halili ang nagtawag sa kanya ng The General nung nasa MBA pa siya playing for the Manila Metro Stars.

25. Skyscraper Marlou Aquino- si Quinito Henson yata nagtawag sa kanya nung first game niya sa PBA. Scyscraper nga naman ang laki eh 6-9.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Alvin Patrimonio

Alvin Patrimonio

Position Power forward
Height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
Weight 215 lb (98 kg)
Team Purefoods TJ Hotdogs
Nationality Philippines
Born November 17, 1966
College Mapuá Institute of Technology
Draft Not drafted - (free agent)
Pro career 1988–2004
Awards 4-time PBA MVP (1991, 1993 1994 1997)
Alvin Patrimonio (born November 17, 1966) was nicknamed "The Captain" and was a professional basketball player from the Philippines.

He played for the Mapuá Institute of Technology Cardinals in the NCAA from 1983 to 1986. He entered the PBA in 1988 as part of the illustrious quartet alongside 1988 Rookie of the Year Jojo Lastimosa, many-time Mythical Team and Best Defensive Team Member Jerry Codiñera and perennial Best Defensive Team Member Glenn Capacio.

He played his entire career with the Purefoods TJ Hotdogs and won several championships, mostly in the PBA All Filipino Cup; he also played for the Philippine national team including the 1998 Philippine Centennial team.

Patrimonio holds several PBA records including most consecutive games played (596) and most PBA Most Valuable Player awards (4 tied with Ramon Fernandez). He was also the second player after Bogs Adornado to win back-to-back MVP awards in 1993-1994 and also the second player to win three Best Player of the Conference award after Vergel Meneses. He also shares the distinction of having played the most Asian Games (4) with 1990 PBA MVP Allan Caidic.

In 2004, 16 years after playing in the pro league, Patrimonio announced his retirement to concentrate more on his duties as the current team manager of the Purefoods franchise in the PBA. The best power forward in the annals of the PBA, he redefined the meaning of power forward as a prolific and phenomenal scorer ending his career as the league’s No. 3 scorer with 15,091 just behind all-time greats Ramon Fernandez and Abet Guidaben with 18,996 and 15,775, respectively.

On November 26, 2005, he played in the Legends 3-Point Shootout during the PBA All-Star in Laoag City, Ilocos Norte. The game saw Patrimonio sink the very last money ball to prop the Legends, also composed of Ronnie Magsanoc and Frankie Lim, to a 41-39 win over the young turks of Jimmy Alapag, Ren-Ren Ritualo and Dondon Hontiveros.

Career PBA highlights

Most Valuable Player in 1991, 1993, 1994, and 1997
Mythical First Team Selection in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000
Mythical Second Team Selection in 1995
Best Player of the Conference in 1994 Commissioner's Cup, 1996 All-Filipino Cup, and 1997 Governor's Cup
Newsmaker of the Year in 1993

Ten time PBA All-Star

Most Valuable Player of the 1991 PBA All-Star Game
25 PBA Greatest Players Member
PBA 5,000 Points Club Member
PBA 10,000 Points Club Member
PBA 15,000 Points Club Member
PBA Third Conference champions (1990)
PBA All- Filipino Cup champions (1991, 1993, 1997)
PBA Commissioner's Cup champions (1994)
PBA Governor's Cup champions (2002)

International career highlights
1986 Asian Games bronze medallist
1990 Asian Games silver medallist
1994 Asian Games, fourth place
1998 William Jones Cup (Champions)
1998 Asian Games bronze medallist
2000 PBA All-Stars versus the Asia Basketball Select Team

Philippine Basketball Association all-time records

Most MVP awards (tied, 4)
Most consectutive games played (596)
One of four players to play at least 800 games
Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

PUREFOODS ROUTS WELCOAT

James Yap-led Giants capitalize as Dragons lose Clark to injury

Sunday, 08 April 2007
Winning, it seems, is hard to come by for the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants in the Talk ‘N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference. Not this one, though.

Reigning league MVP James Yap scattered 30 points and Jondan Salvador grabbed 14 rebounds as the Giants ran away with a 94-82 victory on Easter Sunday against the hard-luck Welcoat Dragons, who finished the battle without import Charles Clark.
It was just the third victory in eight games for the GIants but coach Ryan Gregorio felt this one will turn their fortunes around for the better.

“It was unfortunate that Welcoat had to battle us without their import. But we’ll take this (win),” said Gregorio.

“Hopefully, this will be our first step climbing up the ladder. We are working hard to play consistently and hopefully we’ll be able to get out of the rut.”

Gregorio said he had expected his well-rested Giants would encounter tough and physical battle against the Dragons, who are seeking a follow-up to their 103-99 overtime win against the Air21 Express last March 30.

But disaster greeted the Dragons just three minutes into the game when Clark, who averaged 30 points and 11 rebounds per outing, sprained a toe on his right foot on a bad fall. He left the game and never returned.

Thirsty for a victory, the Giants quickly worked on the breaks and with Roger Yap finally regaining his offensive touch, Purefoods breezed through the opening quarter and took a 25-9 advantage.

“We know we couldn’t have just two players scoring on this team,” Gregorio said. “So we kept on working on the rest of the team’s scoring prowess and it’s a bit good news that Roger(Yap) got back his offensive rhythm.”

Purefoods import Marquin Chandler scored 20 points and Roger Yap added 14 and four assists for the Giants, who bounced back from an 80-94 loss at the hands of the Alaska Aces last March 31 in Subic.

The win also served as a belated birthday gift for Gregorio, who turned 35 last Saturday.

Even without their import, the Dragons tried to mount a rally but poor shooting betrayed their intentions.

Alex Compton scored a PBA career-best 24 points, including 4-of-9 from three-point range, and rookie Jireh Ibanes had 16 to show the way for the Dragons, who picked up their fifth defeat in eight games and dropped ninth place.

Rookie center Jay-R Reyes tallied 10 points and 10 rebounds for his second double-double effort in the conference.

Welcoat seemed to have built on some momentum when Adonis Sta. Maria split his free throws to pull the Dragons within 69-81 with 5:53 left.

But James Yap, who went 10-of-19 from the field, scored four quick points to keep the Dragons at bay and the Giants coasted from there. (DBC)

The scores:

Purefoods 94 – Yap J. 30, Chandler 20, Yap R. 14, Yee 9, Artadi 8, Limpot 8, Castillo 3, Salvador 2, Evangelista 0.

Welcoat 82 – Compton 24, Ibanes 16, Reyes 10, Sta. Maria 7, Lopez 6, Wainwright 6, Cabatu 5, Gelig 4, Lao 4, Clark 0, Baguion 0.

Quarterscores: 25-9, 57-32, 71-52, 94-82.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

KINGS REPEAT OVER BULLS SANS MENK

By Bianca Marie Teodoro
GOL Official Newswriter
08 April 2007

The Barangay Ginebra Kings had a restless Holy Week to prepare hard for this game. To add more pressure, their most dominant local big man Eric Menk suffered a sprain in his right calf muscle. Johnny Abarrientos was not yet able to suit up and there were still no reports about Rudy Hatfield's possible return.

These turn of events, however, were not enough reason for the Kings to give in easily. They beat the league-leading Red Bull Barako for the second time this conference, 100-84. These two teams are now tied at first place in the standings, with six wins and two losses.

Rod Nealy had another stellar performance, outplaying the Barakos' import James Penny for the second time around. Nealy nailed in 38 points as compared to the supposed "imports' yardstick" Penny, who led his team in scoring with 22.

The first and only time that the Barakos were in the lead was at 2-1, in the first few seconds of the game. Ginebra grabbed the lead after Egay Echavez was able to convert three freethrows. The Kings were in the driver's seat since then.

Penny was in foul trouble early in the game and was forced to sit down in the first quarter due to the two fouls he committed with over eight minutes to go. His absence made it possible for the Kings to outnumber Red Bull in terms of assists, 7-1, and they even shot better at 56% compared to the Barakos' 32%.

Ginebra had their highest lead in the second quarter at 24, at the 4:26 mark. They finished the first half with a 17-point lead, and Nealy leading all scorers with 20. Ronald Tubid led all locals with 12 points, including 7 rebounds to top all players.

Red Bull tried to catch up with Ginebra in the second half, as tighter defense was applied to Nealy. The Kings also suffered a 4-minute scoring drought in the third quarter, to which the Barakos tried to take advantage of. However, Sunday Salvacion's three point specials and Nealy's hardwork made it possible for them to hold on to the lead, and eventually end the game in a large margin.

Nealy finished the game with 38 points and 16 rebounds. This is his eighth consecutive double-double performance, and the eighth game of the Kings this conference. Tubid, on the other hand, had a spectacular all-around game with 19 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals. He shot 50% from the three point line.

Next game will be in Dubai, April 13 against Purefoods.

The scores:

Ginebra 100 - Nealy 38, Salvacion 21, Tubid 19, Echavez 10, Chia 6, Mamaril 4, Seigle 2, Macapagal 0, Santos 0, Holper 0.

Red Bull 84 - Penny 22, Baguio 10, Valenzuela 10, Sharma 8, Villanueva 8, Fonacier 6, Robinson 6, Cruz 6, Hrabak 5, Najorda 3, Alvarez 0.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

STRONG FINISH BY KINGS BRINGS DOWN GIANTS IN DUBAI

Nealy, Tubid star in come-from-behind win which hands Uichico All-Star
Game stint

Saturday, 14 April 2007

DUBAI, UAE. -- Coach Jong Uichico had said in jest that Barangay Ginebra would bring in more heat to this tiny emirate.

True to his words, his Kings, relying on a big wind-up, beat the Purefoods TJ Giants 92-82 Friday in a Talk 'N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference first-ever sortie in this sunbathed, yet energetic emirate that is home to around 265,000 registered Filipino workers.
The Kings, with four of them turning in double-digit outputs, took three full quarters to size up the Giants, and then went to the trio of Rod Nealy, Ronald Tubid and Jec Chia for the big baskets that pushed the Giants to kingdom come and which delighted around 5,000 Filipinos – including RP's consul general in Dubai Antonio S. Curameng -- that flocked to the downtown Al Ahli Sports Club here.

Nealy, outduelled and outhustled by Purefoods' counterpart Marquin Chandler for three quarters, came away with another near triple-double output of 23 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds, and was instrumental in a vicious 11-2 run where he scored three points all of Chandler – a split charity and a basket on a drive after eluding him – which put the Kings beyond reach, 90-80, with 1:18 left.

Chandler, who scored a game-high 41 points on top of 18 rebounds, virtually carrying Purefoods on his shoulders the entire game, would try to keep the Giants in the game, scoring two free throws which cut the lead to eight.

But that proved to be the Giants' last stand as Tubid, after running down precious time, forced his way amid heavy traffic and barely beat the shotclock with a basket underneath.

The Kings thus notched their seventh win in nine outings, keeping them abreast with Red Bull at the top of the ladder in the season-ending tournament, while spoiling the Giants' bid to end their first round elimination campaign with back-to-back wins.

"It's always sweet! Masaya, masayang masaya, lalo na kung nag travel ka ng libo-libong milya. Sulit na sulit ang pagod," said Uichico, visibly happy with the way his Kings pulled off the big win before an appreciative crowd of mostly Filipinos working in this energetic, fast-rising emirate in the Middle East.

"Everybody stepped up today. They (Giants) controlled the game, but we were able to pull through in the all-important fourth quarter," said Uichico, making mention of Chia, who he said played above the coaching staff's expectation.

The Dubai sortie dubbed "Battle of Champions' was made possible with the effort of Filipino Basketball Center headed by Ramon Pizzaras, whose throng of volunteers gave a warm welcome to the PBA delegation headed by PBA commissioner Noli Eala.

"The PBA is so happy to bring this game here. At sana patuloy kayong magkaroon ng magandang samahan dito sa Dubai. On behalf of the PBA family, maraming salamat sa inyong mainit na pagtanggap sa amin dito," said Eala in a short talk before the game, highlighted by a ceremonial first toss by the consul general.

The depleted Kings, who are missing six players who are either on loan to the national team, injured or on leave, actually managed to rip the game apart at 66-58 following a swift 11-0 blitz ignited by Sunday Salvacion's triple late in the third quarter, but the Giants, behind the guns of James Yap and Rey Evangelista, quickly came back to level the count at 67-all at the end of the quarter.

The win, Barangay Ginebra’s third straight and seventh in their last eight games, also assured Uichico of a coaching stint in the annual All-Star Game this coming April 29 in Baguio City.

The head coaches of the Top 2 teams through the games of April 15 will mentor the North and South All-Star squads in the coming annual spectacle to be held in the summer capital of the Philippines.

The win enabled Barangay Ginebra to be ranked No. 1 even in a two-way or three-way tie at 7-2 as a result of a superior PBA quotient, thus assuring Uichico of a second straight All-Star Game coaching stint and third overall. He will handle the North All-Stars who will be bannered by Mark Caguioa and Jay-Jay Helterbrand.

The scores:

Brgy. Ginebra 92 – Nealy 23, Tubid 17, Chia 12, Salvacion 11, Seigle 8, Macapagal 7, Mamaril 7, Echavez 6, Santos 1, Holfer 0,.

Purefoods 82 – Chandler 41, J. Yap 10, Yee 8, Simon 7, R. Yap 5, Evangelista 4, Castillo 3, Artadi 2, Salvador 2, Limpot 0.

Quarterscores: 21-26, 35-39, 67-67, 92-82.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MVI_0953.flv

VIDEO OF RONALD TUBID's Amazing Shot

Courtesy of Miss Rubee a Brgy. Ginebra fan.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

TUBID: ONE REASON FOR KINGS’ EARLY SUCCESS

Player of the Week April 2 to 8

Thursday, 12 April 2007

GETTING a player to understand his role in a team is not easy, especially if the said player’s mind has been saturated with other systems.

That is why Ginebra coach Jong Uichico can’t help but be impressed with the way Ronald Tubid has been absorbing the Kings’ brand of play.

“OK si Ronald. We’ve been trying to make him understand what his role is in the team and he’s slowly but surely getting there,” said Uichico.

Whatever Tubid may have sopped up is enough to make him an effective component of Ginebra and earn the nod of the PBA Press Corps as its ACCEL-Talk ‘N Text Player of the Week for the period April 2-8.

The 6-foot-2 off-guard has been doing all the things asked of him by Uichico – and more.

Clear example: In the Kings’ 100-84 win over Red Bull last Sunday, Tubid had 19 points to go with nine rebounds, helping the team notch its second straight win and improve to a 6-2 win-loss record that tied them with the Barakos at the top of the standings.

For Uichico, however, more important are the former University of the East hotshots’ three assists, two steals, hustle and defense.

“If he has a good offensive night, bonus na yon. What we’re really trying to do is make him realize what his role is first, which is to be a defender. Konti-konti, nakukuha na niya iyon,” Uichico said.

There are still some things to hone in the game of Tubid, who has been with Shell and Air21 before being part of the pre-New Year trade that sent him to the crowd favorites.

“Kung minsan kasi, sobrang dribble siya. He should realize na kapag walang sitwasyon, he must give up the ball,” Uichico pointed out.

“Those are the small things we’re trying to correct,” he added. “Once he completely understands that, he’ll be the perfect fit for us.”

There are already some good signs.

With the likes of Rudy Hatfield (on leave), Johnny Abarrientos (groin injury), Eric Menk (calf injury) and Rafi Reavis (shoulder injury) out, Uichico is forced to assign more minutes and tasks to Tubid, who is not shirking from the challenge one bit.

Ronald Tubid has been averaging 15 points, 5 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game, which are clear indications of his readiness to help the team. (NCo)
Old 04-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Enjoy.

INTRODUCTION OF PLAYERS

PUREFOODS

GINEBRA

GAMETIME

Siempre may BONUS:

THANKS MR. Danforth

SOURCE: http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopi...644241#1644241
Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

2007 PBA Mock Draft

1.Joe Devance (Welcoat Dragons) - Height: 6-7 DOB: 1983, Last year he could have been the top overall pick if he already complete all the major requirements in his citizenship case. The 6-7 Devance is a former PBL Most Valuable Player Devance is averaging 15.5 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his last PBL Stint in 2005-06 Seasons. I think Welcoat in order to booster their frontline will select Devance in this years draft.

2.Rob Reyes (Coke traded to SMB)
- Robert Reyes 6-6 Harbour Centre / Jacksonville. If Reyes made it to the deadline, they would have selected Reyes 1st first overall. SMB is in love with Reyes' game - no-nonsense, great rebounder, loves the dirty work inside and has full of energy, something their current big men lacks.

3.Marvin Cruz (Alaska Aces) – Alaska is in need of a young PG that will complement Mike Cortez, we might see the 2nd coming of the Flying an in Marvin Cruz who is probably the best PG in the Amateur now. He is now one of the corner stone of the RP Harbour Team which won the 2007 SEABA Championship. In his last UAAP Stint Cruz average, 16.8 Points, 7.9 rebs, 0.2 Blks and 1.8 steals.

Source: http://www.ubelt.com/ub/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=209

4.JC Intal (Air 21) - JC Intal 6-4 Harbour Centre / Ateneo. Intal is a high-flyer and made fame after defeating Nino Canaleta in a dunkoff in the PBL All-Stars. Intal has made tremendous progress from a bit player in the Ateneo roster to the team's main man. JC Intal will be much of a reliever to wingmen Gardy David

2006 UAAP STATS

17.9 Pts, 7.4 rebs, 4.8 assists in 32 Minutes of action

Source: http://www.ubelt.com/ub/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=183

5.Jonas Villanueva (SLR) - Jonas Villanueva 6-0 Magnolia / Far Eastern University. Villanueva has the size and the skills to be an excellent pro. He showed his capability in the current UAAP season heading the Tamaraws' charge with only Chan and a bunch of newcomers. I think that with the departure of Alex Cabagnot and Kenneth Duremdes , I think the management realize that by picking Jonas Villanueva would be a suitable replacement for Alex Cabagnot.

UAAP STATS

http://www.ubelt.com/ub/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=314

6.Jason Castro ( Air 21)- the 2007 PBL MVP one of the best combo guard in the NCAA and PBL would be an excellent pick for the young and upcoming Air 21 Express. With Winnie Arboleda on the backcourt this will be an excellent run and gun team.

7.Ken Bono ( Alaska) the 2006 UAAP Most Valuable player and 1st team Mythical member Ken Bono 6-6 Montana / Adamson. Bono is undeniably, the UAAP's top big man currently. He has great shooting touch that reminds you of Jun Limpot but has the size and the body to bang against anybody. He also reminded me of a young Eric Menk in his PBL Days.

8.Jeff Chan 6-3 ( Alaska) Magnolia /Far Eastern University. Chan is the second coming of Allan Caidic with deadly penetration skills and athleticism that is fit for the pros, and perfect for the triangle. Cone will love him.

9.Yousef Aljamal (Ginebra ) ( from SMB) Yousef Aljamal 6-4 Rain or Shine / San Beda. Aljamal was a different player in the NCAA. He was shooting from everywhere, rebounding with gusto, and played with such great confidence that scouts was looking at him as the best player in the NCAA. Aljamal will be a decent big men and is very coachable. He will be a decent replacement of Hatfield.

10.Douglas Kramer (Red bull), it is obvious that the Redbull management will select this 6-4 forward from Ateneo. With half of the lineup coming from Katipunan, I think this will be a reunion of some sort.

2nd round

11.Ryan Arana - a great slasher and a scorer this DLSU Greenarchers will probably one of these years steal of the draft. He shows that he can score as he pumps a career best 38 points against the weary Vietnam National Team. He reminds me alot of Rodney Santos not only of the chin but the style of playing.

12.JR Quinahan (Purefoods) - JR Quinahan 6-6 Granny Goose / University of the Visayas. Big man with nifty shooting and shotblocking will give the Chunkee Giants an interior presence underneath. And hey, he's starting to look like Shawn Daniels.

13.Kelvin Dela Pena- Kelvin de la Pena 6-0 Granny Goose / Mapua. Kelvin proved in the NCAA's and in the last PBL Cup that he's ripe for the pros. He has the size and the composure to play at 1. He has great tenacity and a winning attitude. Reminds you of Jeffrey Cariaso. Cone will be thrilled to have him.

14.Patrick Cabahug – a 6-2 scorer from Adamson University another player who can shoots from the outside. He reminded me of a young Boy Cabahug and Al Solis.

15.Samigue Eman - 6-10 Rain or Shine / University of Mindanao. He was the BIG Ticket Eman is a project but has the best upside among all players in this list.. I think a great coach and a great system will help him to be able to improve his basketball skills.

16.Mark Borboran- he could have been included in the 1st round of the PBA draft but with the over flowing of the talent in this years draft. He could have been an easy 1st round pick in 2005 or 2007. Anyway the team that will pick him will be lucky enough the 6-2 Mark Borboran is a complete player and a decent defensive specialist.

17.Bonifacio Custodio- another player who should have been included in the 1st round of these years 2007 Annual Draft. But like I said in my post about Mark Borboran we have a talent influx this year. Bonbon has his best year in the UAAP averaging 16.4 Points in 12 games. He is also a valuable asset to his team in the PBL.

18. Edwin Asoro – the NU Bulldogs top scorer will be a great addition to the team that will select hi. He is averaging 15.6 Points in his last UAAP Season. His Body is pro material; remind me of a younger version of Nelson Asaytono in terms of physical strength in the low post.

19. Jonathan Fernandez – 1/2 of the Dynamic NU Duo who is probably the pure scorer among this years draft with 15 PPG. Fernandez will be a great addition to any teams here in the PBA.

20. Nestor David- a 6-3 forward from the UP Fighting Maroons. He averages 11.8 Points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists. In his UAAP tenure and is a Mythical 2nds team member in the PBL.

See the Nestor David Move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyUN7d1ANuM

http://www.ubelt.com/ub/uaap/mbb/player.aspx?id=203
Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #13
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Elmer Espiritu

Slamdunk KINg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGAZs...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAaPOEbYTI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPV-...elated&search=

6-4 Skywalker.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #14
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

MILLER-LED ACES ROUT SLR, HAND CONE ALL-STAR STINT

Record-tying 5th appearance for Alaska coach in annual classic

Sunday, 15 April 2007

The Alaska Aces earned coach Tim Cone a spot in the All-Star game.

Willie Miller warmed up early and led a strong start by Alaska in a 103-88 victory past the Sta. Lucia Realtors Sunday night in the 2007 Talk ‘N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.

The game seemed so easy for the Aces who outplayed the Realtors in key departments.

"It was one of those games when lots of things went right for us and a lot of things went wrong for Sta. Lucia," offered Cone. "We hit some really tough shots and they missed some easy ones. We're not 15 points better than they are but we played a real good game tonight.”

By winning their second straight game, the Aces closed out the first half of the elimination round with a 7-2 (win-loss) card, tying Barangay Ginebra and Red Bull on top of the standings.

It also secured Cone's stint in the league's mid-year spectacle as coach of the South All-Stars team that has Danny Seigle, Eric Menk, Dondon Hontveros, Asi Taulava and James Yap as starters. It will be Cone’s fifth stint in the annual classic, which will enable him to tie Sonny Jaworski and Derick Pumaren for most All-Star Game coaching jobs since the event was institutionalized in 1989.

The North All-Stars will be coached by Barangay Ginebra's Jong Uichico.

"When you coach the All-Star game it's about your record. It's not a popularity contest. And who's responsible for your record? It's your players. So this is an honor for our whole team," Cone said.

"The All-Star coaching is not really important for me. The important thing is that we won the basketball game because that pushes us to the top and that's the key, " he added.

Miller finished with 21 points, the same output tallied by import Rosell Ellis, who also had 11 rebounds, seven assists and two steals as the Aces pounced on the Realtors off the boards, 52-44.

Miller, who shot 8-of-16, including 2-for-3 from the 3-point range, scored 11 points in the first quarter as the Aces took control early and never trailed after closing the quarter up 32-23.

Reserve guard Eddie Laure, slowly regaining his old deadly form, contributed 14 points, center Sonny Thoss also had 14, Jeffery Cariaso added 10 and Nic Belasco had 12 rebounds for the Aces, who shot 49 percent from the field.

Alaska has not had a championship in an import-laced conference since Devin Davis led the team to victory in the 1998 Commissioner's Cup.

But the Aces, under the leadership of Ellis, have made a good account of their ability to contend for the title this conference.

"I thought in the last couple of games after our loss to Air21, we've come out and made a statement defensively," Cone observe.

Rookie Kelly Williams led all scorers with 28 points but couldn't provide spark when the Realtors needed to get back in the game.

The Realtors struggled offensively all night, making just 39 percent of their shots.

Rookie head coach Boyet Fernandez rotated all his players but no one clicked. The only other Realtor in double digit was import Rock Winston, who tallied 17 points and 13 rebounds – numbers that didn't made a difference for the Realtors, who picked up their fourth loss in eight games. (DBC)

The scores:

Alaska 103 – Miller 21, Ellis 21, Thoss 14, Laure 14, Cariaso 10, Hugnatan 9, Belasco 9, Ferriols 5, Aban 0, Bajar 0, Juinio 0.

Sta. Lucia 88 – Williams 28, Winston 17, Miranda 9, Espino 8, Aquino 6, Omolon 5, Mendoza 5, Catli 3, Gonzales 3, Magsumbol 2, Isip 2, Bughao 0, Santos 0.

Quarterscores: 32-23, 55-45, 78-57, 103-88.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

SYDMAN’s TOP TEN: The best Top Overall Picks

The PBA Draft started in 1985 with Santiago “Sonny” Cabatu becoming the league’s first top pick. Incidentally, it was his teammate Leo Austria who bagged the plum.

Left out from the list are duds Alex Araneta and Apet Jao. Later top picks like Yancy de Ocampo, Mike Cortez, Rich Alvarez, Jay Washington, and Kelly Williams are too inexperienced to make the list. Paolo Mendoza, Sonny Cabatu and the late Jack Tanuan almost made the list but not quite.

My Top 11 is Andy Seigle. He should be my number ten since he did made then-newly christened Mobiline Phone Pals (formerly Pepsi) to new heights but he’s spelled out by a pretty controversial choice.

The Top Ten starts… NOW!

10. THE BIG PUNISHER

Earl Sonny Alvarado (Batch ’99) – The Big Punisher. I had to put some controversy, right? He seemed to be the perfect choice. What a **** up. Then-Tanduay coach Alfrancis Chua salivated on the former Texas Longhorn standout when he saw his name on the draft list. Tanduay was set to debut that season. From the PBL he has elevated most of his roster led by Eric Menk. Came draft day, he quickly pounced on the 6’6 leaper. He didn’t disappoint Chua as he has been great just like what he expected. However when claims of his falsification aroused he quickly bailed the league (he said he’ll clear his name but to this day he has been unheard of). After he left Chua and Tanduay boss Bong Tan severed their ties with Chua eventually leaving the club. Tanduay then dismantled their franchise.

Funny thing about this is: just when you think you found your savior, he turns out to be the living proof of the apocalypse.

Blah! Chris Cantonjos must be dying to punish Alvarado for taking away his precious minutes that could have saved his PBA stint…

9. THE TANK

Noli Locsin (Batch ’94) – The Tank. The old-school Ginebra bad boys have either retired or now playing for other teams, with only Robert Jaworski, Pido Jarencio and Jayvee Gayoso (Jarencio and Gayoso are in the barely stage) as the last links of that storied era. Locsin, a burly forward coming from DLSU topped a draft which included Rey Evangelista and eventual Rookie of the Year winner Boybits Victoria. He technically became Ginebra’s first piece for greatness that served as prequel for the acquisitions of Aquino and Wilmer Ong (via draft), Benny Cheng and Vince Hizon (via trade), and Bal David (free agency) to form the formidable Ginebra ragtag/glamour group of the 90’s. Locsin was then traded to Pop Cola for Vergel Meneses where he drifted to other PBA teams. Before the Fil-Am invasion, The Tank was collared as one of the top bruisers of his time.

8. THE SKYSCRAPER

Marlou Aquino (Batch ’96) – The Skyscraper. Pushed thru the spotlight because of his 6’9 frame, this goggled giant was a fixture in the PBL grounds playing for such teams as Nikon, Otto Shoes, Sta. Lucia, and the 1995 PBL Grand Slam team Stag. He finished his UAAP career with controversy, as Adamson was forced to sit out a season with his eligibility in question. His entry to the Ginebra team gave them a dominant force to gel with Locsin since their 7 foot monster doesn’t loom as a marquee guy (in 1995, Ginebra took its second choice and drafted EJ Feihl). In his then-promising career, twice did he almost make the MVP award his after powering the Gin Kings to multiple championships. When he was traded to the Sta. Lucia Realtors (the PBA version) , he helped to give the team its first league plum. One of the amateur players that played for the national team in the 1994 Asiad, his jolens shot and that once in a game three point attempts are basically his distinguishing moves. But his defense, if motivated, makes him the force that he is.

7. THE REAL DEAL

Jun Limpot (Batch ’93) – The Real Deal. The Surigao native started his collegiate career playing for University of Manila, then getting a crack at the DLSU lineup. Despite heavy competition led by NCAA MVP Benny Cheng, FEU and Crispa (PBL) stalwart Vic Pablo, and future MVP Johnny Abarrientos, Limpot became the top pick for the novice, Sta. Lucia Realtors. Leading the group anchored heavily on him, he averaged supreme numbers and eventually became the Rookie of the Year that season. One weakness in his arsenal proved to be his inability to lead his team to a championship. Add the fact that despite his frame he is said to be afraid to mix it up in the paint. He waited for that title to land on his grasp as a second stringer at Purefoods.

6. THE MENACE

Dennis Espino (Batch ’95) – The Menace. He led the UST Tigers to an unprecedented 14-0 win loss record which immediately annexed the title for the Espana based dribblers. Playing for Magnolia in the PBL, he played great ball to emerge as Sta. Lucia’s second top pick ever in 1995. Despite losing to Jeffrey Cariaso in the Rookie of the Year race, it’s hard to not give a damn on the 6’6 slotman. He has played in numerous international jousts and even helped the Realtors to its first ever title, months after the trade that shipped out Jun Limpot. Currently he is the longest cager to perform in a team that he has played since day one, lasting 12 years.

5. THE THRILLER

Willie Miller (Batch 2001) – The Thriller. This giggly speedster started out as a supplement for the Chris Calaguio-led offense of the Letran Knights. Unstable and often unheralded, the only thing that stands out for him is his color and foreign-sounding name. That changed in 1999 – with the addition of the Nueva Ecija Patriots in the MBA he quickly became a brand name. His moves became more furnished and his game got a little better. It was no surprise for everyone that Red Bull took him number 1 in the 2001 PBA Draft. As a Jimwell Torion backup, he quickly became a starter. His development was so rapid that merely a year after being drafted he became the league’s MVP. He is the first and only MBA player to be drafted top of his class. Although, his MBA career disqualified him from getting the Rookie of the Year award, as pick number 3 Mark Caguioa garnered the recognition.

4. THE AERIAL VOYAGER

Vergel Meneses (Batch ’92) – The Aerial Voyager. Forget that he simply vanished from the league unceremoniously – his mark in Philippine basketball is legendary. Supplied with an amazing vertical leap, Meneses was a star even when he has yet to jump in the PBA. In 1992, he was crowned as the top pick. He teamed up with Allan Caidic to create a great slash and shoot combo for Presto. However, they failed to get the necessary help from their teammates. Add the fact that San Miguel played extremely well throughout the season, Meneses lost the Rookie of the Year title to arch-nemesis “The Cosmic Avenger” Bong Ravena. Ravena however, was in fact a reliever for the likes of Samboy Lim and Ato Agustin and basically was not a focal point in the San Miguel offense. The former JRU Bomber got back at Ravena though, having a great playing career (until the end) with the 1995 MVP Award serving as its highlight.

3. THE RAISE THE ROOF KID

Danny Ildefonso (Batch ‘98) – The Demolition Man. The Raise the Roof Kid. One half of the Danny Boys. From my last take, I saw some controversies with my choices but despite that according to my criteria, he should have landed on the second spot, I can only drop him to three. Anyway, if the lawsuit fell right into MBA’s favor, the former NU Bulldog should have played for the Pangasinan Presidents. Turns out, he became Shell’s third first top pick (After Cabatu and Paras, and before Rich Alvarez). Shell then traded his rights to SMB for the services of Noy Castillo and future considerations. Danny Ildefonso’s entry marked the end of Nelson Asaytono’s scoring barrage (a year before Danny I’s entry, Asaytono was average almost 30ppg). He leads the league in Best Player of the Conference citations and moreover, he’s a back-to-back MVP. However some will say that had Danny Seigle, the other Danny, played more games than the Demolition Man, he could have easily obtained those citations. Injuries might have stalled him these past few years but his ability to light the court with his amazing clutch plays makes him a remarkable player.

2. THE TRIGGERMAN

Allan Caidic (Batch ’87) – The Triggerman. His ability to cream defenders with his cold blooded troikas made Allan Caidic the top pick of the 1987 draft. Picked up by Great Taste, the former UE Warrior quickly made a name for himself that he was awarded as the Rookie of the Year of that season. It was in 1990 with Great Taste now christened as Presto, did Caidic gained his best form, besting Alvin Patrimonio, Benjie Paras, Paul Alvarez and Ronnie Magsanoc to become that year’s MVP. In 1993 when Presto changed management to become the Sta. Lucia Realtors, Caidic went to San Miguel to join his former teammates in the multi-talented Ron Jacobs-led Philippine Team. He made respectable numbers as a Beerman but he did have a number of injuries, the best known was the one where Jaworski made the unpopular slit throat sign when Caidic bounced hard on the hardwood floor. He finished his career at Ginebra where it also finished Jaworski’s career as the club’s head coach – perhaps some sort of bad blood between the two. Nonetheless, he’ll forever be remembered as the man who had the highest point total for a local when he launched overwhelming triples to power his 79 points.

And speaking of power…

1. THE TOWER OF POWER

Benjie Paras (Batch ’89) – The Tower of Power. In 1989, SMB claimed a feat only the Crispa Redmanizers could ever brag about – a grand slam title. Ramon Fernandez was a sure man to get the title but he didn’t. Some kid came from nowhere and took what could have been his record-breaking fifth MVP Award. This same guy from UP also snatched a championship against the Jerry Codinera-led University of the East.

Anyway, before he became a bald-headed comedian, Benjie Paras was a big-haired prep star. He entered the league and made Shell an instant contender. This was like when Lew Alcindor (Now called Kareem Abdul Jabbar) made the Milwaukee Bucks a title threat when they selected him first pick of 1969. Twenty years past, Paras is hailed in the record books as the first and only player to achieve the MVP and the Rookie of the Year plum in the same year.

The feat he accomplished was almost duplicated in 1999 when Danny Seigle, another player from SMB, proved to be a sure pick for the MVP and Rookie of the Year title. Unfortunately he wasn’t. The person who took it? Paras, of course – making him the player who waited the longest the get back the MVP distinction. Once an aggressive slamming machine, injuries sidelined him in the mid 90’s. He developed a Webber-like jump shot, and he made a living out of this until his retirement. He did return out of his retirement, and he did it by joining the same team he took two MVP’s in the course of his career, playing limited action, but his image alone serves as basis for intimidation – as a San Miguel Beerman.

Source: http://hoops.blink.ph/2006/11/16/syd...overall-picks/

Last edited by Baller1986 : 04-15-2007 at 01:06 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: