Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #61
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Default Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
First let me say, I'm from Michigan and played class D basketball just like Kaman. I am one of his biggest proponents. I want to see him do well and I like his game.

With that said it's not even a debate. Chandler can play anywhere and anytime. He is faster, can jump higher, can defend better, and has a better back to the basket game than Kaman. It wouldn't matter what league the two played in. Players for the Olympic team are selected based on how they feel their games would translate into the international game. Kaman has never even been in the discussion. I'm glad Germany got him. End of discussion.

You're mistaken, just like there are some euroleague players that would be a bust in the nba there are some nba players that would be a bust in the euroleague and Chandler is one of those players. The nba is different and the league tries to keep scores up by restricting defenses and calling multiple fouls but the euroleague doesn't care. You can literally grab somebody the entire game in the euroleague and someone like Chandler would struggle in that system.

Kamen is a non-issue, Germany isn't a threat at the olympics and are one loss away from not even qualifying. To be honest if they weren't part of the easier group in the eurobasket they wouldn't have qualified.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #62
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
I can't believe Germany didn't get that rebound. They made such a comeback but can't rebound from a free throw. I'm praying that Greece loses, and then get's knocked out by Germany. But that's nearly impossible. Either way, Germany will probably win the third ticket. I'm guessing Greece will beat PR by 20-30 points.
Also, since everyone is discussing likes and dislikes, my main dislike for American basketball is the constant bit.ching about not bringing the best players. Slovenia is a great example given by la bomba. Lithuania never had Ilgauskas, and hasn't had Macijauskas in years. Look at Serbia in the Eurobasket. Terrible. Canada never has Steve Nash, and they don't even mention that. Argentina still won 2nd place in America after having no one but Scola. This isn't a problem just for the US. And for small countries like Lithuania or Serbia, missing athletes is a much bigger blow than to the US.

There are a couple very big differences in what you are saying though. With Slovenia they wouldn't be a force anyway. I think that example is irrelevant. The other teams you mention it's only a player or two. For the USA it's 5 or 6 of the worlds greatest players. There's a big difference. Missing KG and Duncan is a bigger blow to the US than any small country could have. The roster does look better this year though, and what were rookies playing in the 04 games are now more seasoned athletes. I've said before I'm not sure why Nash doesn't play. Maybe it's because the Canadian team wouldn't really have a shot anyway. Even with Nash they certainly wouldn't be a favorite for the gold. Also there is something weird with the Canadian national team anyway. If you look at the way Samuel left the team this year there is something crazy going on with the coaching. It could be possible Nash doesn't want to put up with that kind of stuff. You would think if the Canadians really wanted him they would make a strong push to get him on the team, which is something I have never seen.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #63
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Slovenia would have a good showing against team usa with their best
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #64
simasu01
Decent playground baller

I agree that Duncan or KG are better than anyone on Slovenia's roster, however, due to the size of the United States, I think they have a much bigger selection in their main basketballers, in contrast, Slovenia didn't really have anyone beyond the 5 guys that missed the tournament. If you didn't know, Slovenia's population is under 2 million, Lithuanian at 3 and a half million, Serbia, I am not sure, If I was to guess I'd say somewhere around 6-7 million, I am probably way off. The United States has over 300 million, sure there are other major sports, but that still leaves more than enough prospects for basketball. Neither Slovenia nor Lithuania have the world's best players, but since the choices are much more limited for such countries, I really think the situation is actually more positive. Plus Slovenians and Lithuanians didn't play due to injuries, while Americans rejected invitations. That's a huge difference. For Lithuania, Macijauskas and Ilgauskas haven't played because of injuries, while KG, Duncan, Shaq and so many others aren't playing because they don't want to. I personally hate Kobe because he is a prick, but I admire his love for basketball, and USA basketball players should look at his attitude towards the game, because he actually is playing with an injury.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 PM   #65
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
There are a couple very big differences in what you are saying though. With Slovenia they wouldn't be a force anyway. I think that example is irrelevant. The other teams you mention it's only a player or two. For the USA it's 5 or 6 of the worlds greatest players. There's a big difference. Missing KG and Duncan is a bigger blow to the US than any small country could have. The roster does look better this year though, and what were rookies playing in the 04 games are now more seasoned athletes. I've said before I'm not sure why Nash doesn't play. Maybe it's because the Canadian team wouldn't really have a shot anyway. Even with Nash they certainly wouldn't be a favorite for the gold. Also there is something weird with the Canadian national team anyway. If you look at the way Samuel left the team this year there is something crazy going on with the coaching. It could be possible Nash doesn't want to put up with that kind of stuff. You would think if the Canadians really wanted him they would make a strong push to get him on the team, which is something I have never seen.
Do you realise what you are saying?you are totally off your head.how can it be a bigger blow for a country that can replace a great player with a very good player to that of a country that can only replace a great player or a very good player with only a mediocre player??
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #66
Grinder

Germany should beat Puerto Rico.

Arroyo is probably out for this game with a torn leg muscle.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #67
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Germany should beat Puerto Rico.

Arroyo is probably out for this game with a torn leg muscle.
I prefer Puerto rico cause they are almost a fixture in the olympics and they always suprise a few.However like you I think Germany will win.It would not be suprising that all 3 qualifiers are european.
When you think that France with tony Parker,Boris Diaw,Roney Turiaf,Pietrus,etc didn't even qualify for the right to compete.Maybe its because they are all busts in europe and they can only play in the NBA?lol.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #68
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
I prefer Puerto rico cause they are almost a fixture in the olympics and they always suprise a few.However like you I think Germany will win.It would not be suprising that all 3 qualifiers are european.
When you think that France with tony Parker,Boris Diaw,Roney Turiaf,Pietrus,etc didn't even qualify for the right to compete.Maybe its because they are all busts in europe and they can only play in the NBA?lol.

Pietrus, Turiaf, and Diaw are all role players, elevating them to the main contributor on the team obviously means they're going to bust.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #69
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #70
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
like Batum who has been poor in the euroleague.They think in the NBA that he is a great prospect.Maybe he'll do better there.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #71
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Do you realise what you are saying?you are totally off your head.how can it be a bigger blow for a country that can replace a great player with a very good player to that of a country that can only replace a great player or a very good player with only a mediocre player??

You're making the wrong comparison. They didn't replace a great player with a very good one. That team in 2004 was mediocre NBA players with big names. It was also rookies with a ton of potential. When Lamar Odom was one of the go to guys you know that's a problem. He's third option type of player in the NBA. The olympic team should be nothing buy first option kind of guys. This year the team is much better besides the potential inside situation.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #72
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
You're making the wrong comparison. They didn't replace a great player with a very good one. That team in 2004 was mediocre NBA players with big names. It was also rookies with a ton of potential. When Lamar Odom was one of the go to guys you know that's a problem. He's third option type of player in the NBA. The olympic team should be nothing buy first option kind of guys. This year the team is much better besides the potential inside situation.
not making the wrong comparison.Odam 3rd go to guy for the Lakers.Smodis is the Guy for CSKA and is replaced by whom? a starter for Olympia Ljubljana?No desrespect for Slovenian players who I have nothing but admiration.But in Slovenia Smodis is irreplaceable definately no one equivalent to Odom in 2004!

Last edited by la bomba : 07-20-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM   #73
la bomba
Local High School Star

How about the world championships in Japan? was that a mediocre team too?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #74
dd24
College superstar

Irrelevant, you're still not making the right comparison. A great player here could have went instead of Odom. If Slovenia doesn't have a player that is as good as our mediocre players it's irrelevant. They aren't in medal contention.

As for 2006, yes it was a mediocre team. It had guys like Kirk Hinrich, Antawn Jamison, and Shane Battier. All good players but certainly nowhere near the best. Let's not forget that mediocre team still finished third. Look at how many different people are on the roster this year from 2006. I've posted this before. It's a completely different team. There's only 6 players from 2006 on this team.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #75
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Pietrus, Turiaf, and Diaw are all role players, elevating them to the main contributor on the team obviously means they're going to bust.

Besides Parker that isn't a very good team.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: