Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #76
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
like Batum who has been poor in the euroleague.They think in the NBA that he is a great prospect.Maybe he'll do better there.

I'm pretty sure he will be a bust no matter where he plays. It will be years before he even has the chance to play.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #77
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Besides Parker that isn't a very good team.
I was just stating that they weren't busts in the NBA.that was all.Diaw had a standout season a couple years ago so I hardly doubt he is a bust.Yet in Europe against other european teams they struggle.That was my point,not that they are a good team.You are insinuating that any player that plays in Europe is an NBA failure and I am saying that it works both ways.As for your argument about team US not taking their best against European nations the size of conneticut not taking their best,I still think you are being totally unreasonable.Hinrich,Battier are better players than the first choice PG and SG of other nations nevermind their 3rd or 4th Choice.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #78
dd24
College superstar

Of course they are. I'm not taking countries that aren't medal contenders into consideration. There's no relevance to it. I'm basically saying would a guy like Hinrich make the team in Spain? No way. If Navarro didn't even play much today than I can't see how Hinrich would play there. I'm only taking the elite teams into consideration. That gold medal is what matters.

Diaw, Turiaf, and Pietrus aren't busts in the NBA, so I agree with you there. I don't think they are busts in the Euroleague either though. Clearly any of those players can play where ever they want, but they aren't good enough to lead a national team. Besides Parker who can tear up the competition wherever he goes.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #79
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he will be a bust no matter where he plays. It will be years before he even has the chance to play.

The Blazers thought Batum was a great prospect after the rumors started about him he was headed for the second round. It was almost as if the Blazers were out of the loop and didn't even know.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #80
dd24
College superstar

He's only 19 so we probably won't even know for another 4 years if the kid can play or not. KG and Kobe took years before they were good. It's too difficult to judge those guys who are basically high schoolers.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #81
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Of course they are. I'm not taking countries that aren't medal contenders into consideration. There's no relevance to it. I'm basically saying would a guy like Hinrich make the team in Spain? No way. If Navarro didn't even play much today than I can't see how Hinrich would play there. I'm only taking the elite teams into consideration. That gold medal is what matters.

Diaw, Turiaf, and Pietrus aren't busts in the NBA, so I agree with you there. I don't think they are busts in the Euroleague either though. Clearly any of those players can play where ever they want, but they aren't good enough to lead a national team. Besides Parker who can tear up the competition wherever he goes.
Hinrich and Navarro is a bad comparison one is a pg the other a sg.Hinrich is a starter for the Bulls ,Raul Lopez plays for real Madrid and had a secondary role(albeit well played) at Utah.So I think Hinrich might have made the spanish team,I admit he would have loads of competition as Raul Lopez has been playing really well,Ricky Rubio has also been playing well and Cabezas who has been left out is also a good PG.But leave Navarro out as he has never played Point. and Hinrich is an out and out Point.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #82
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Quote:
He's only 19 so we probably won't even know for another 4 years if the kid can play or not. KG and Kobe took years before they were good. It's too difficult to judge those guys who are basically high schoolers.

The he's only 19 part is a matter of debate between nba organizations
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #83
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:

I would say if Slovenia could have their strongest team possible,if not contenders,definately dark horses.
Udrih,Becirovic,Nachbar,Smodis and Nesterovic is a very strong 5.Lakovic,vujacic,Slokar,Dragic.This ,if you knew european basketball a bit better you'd agree ,is a a very good side capable of beating the best.Their problem in the past has been psychological
Old 07-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #84
dd24
College superstar

Navarro was more of a PG here and some say Hinrich is better suited playing SG than PG, especially now that the Bulls have Rose. Nonetheless, you see my point, and that is although Hinrich is a starter in the NBA and a decent player he's not the guy you want to lead your elite national team.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #85
Grinder

Quote:
Hinrich and Navarro is a bad comparison one is a pg the other a sg.Hinrich is a starter for the Bulls ,Raul Lopez plays for real Madrid and had a secondary role(albeit well played) at Utah.So I think Hinrich might have made the spanish team,I admit he would have loads of competition as Raul Lopez has been playing really well,Ricky Rubio has also been playing well and Cabezas who has been left out is also a good PG.But leave Navarro out as he has never played Point. and Hinrich is an out and out Point.

Do you think Ricky Rubio or Raul Lopez will be the backup for Calderon?

I can't wait to watch Spain, Greece, and the US play against each other.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #86
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Navarro was more of a PG here and some say Hinrich is better suited playing SG than PG, especially now that the Bulls have Rose. Nonetheless, you see my point, and that is although Hinrich is a starter in the NBA and a decent player he's not the guy you want to lead your elite national team.
No I don't.the point was that the US misses its top players more than other nations would.I totally disagree with that.Navarro never played point.Maybe in the NBA where the point guard is being lost,atleast seeing the celtics lakers finals were pierce and kobe where effectively playing point,or the "move out the way one on one in process NBA game".I remember Navarro always being in the team with Conely or Lawry.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #87
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Do you think Ricky Rubio or Raul Lopez will be the backup for Calderon?

I can't wait to watch Spain, Greece, and the US play against each other.
So far Aito is using Raul Lopez and Rubio more than Calderon,that is however because Calderon has joined late.Don't be suprised if he uses Rubio as a 2 occassionaly together with Raul or Calde as point.especially as defensive weapon.With Aito,if you look at his past exploits with barca and dkv there are no real starters , he moves the bench an awful lot,he likes to defend with intensity and to keep it up he likes to keep players fresh.They will all play.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #88
Grinder

Quote:
So far Aito is using Raul Lopez and Rubio more than Calderon,that is however because Calderon has joined late.Don't be suprised if he uses Rubio as a 2 occassionaly together with Raul or Calde as point.especially as defensive weapon.With Aito,if you look at his past exploits with barca and dkv there are no real starters , he moves the bench an awful lot,he likes to defend with intensity and to keep it up he likes to keep players fresh.They will all play.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing this Spanish team play, you gotta love a coach that's not afraid to go deep into his bench. I think Spain's best lineup is:

Calderon/Rubio
JC Navarro
Garabajosa
Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol

The Spanish team is looking very dangerous after they absolutely trashed Russia with their best players playing limited minutes and the Russians playing Holdem, Kirilenko, and Kaun.

It should be interesting to see how they match up with the Greeks, who I believe are slightly superior because of their amazing defense.

Match ups that I'm looking forward to:

Papaloukas/Rubio
Spanoulis/Navarro
Koufas/Pau Gasol
Schortsanitis/Marc Gasol

I think Glyniadakis will be replaced by Koufos.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #89
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
You're making the wrong comparison. They didn't replace a great player with a very good one. That team in 2004 was mediocre NBA players with big names.

Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Amare Stoudamire, Shawn Marion, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer? Headcoach: Larry Brown?

How is that a mediocre team? Either the coach is an idiot, or he didnīt think some of these NBA superstars werenīt worthy to start over and opted for Richard Jefferson and Lamar Odom, but if these are mediocre NBA players, Iīd like to know, who the good ones are.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #90
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I would say if Slovenia could have their strongest team possible,if not contenders,definately dark horses.
Udrih,Becirovic,Nachbar,Smodis and Nesterovic is a very strong 5.Lakovic,vujacic,Slokar,Dragic.This ,if you knew european basketball a bit better you'd agree ,is a a very good side capable of beating the best.Their problem in the past has been psychological

Serbs and Slovenians have been corrupted by NBA money, somewhere they lost their national pride. After Serbia won the title under the guidance of Pesic in 2001, they never were the same. Itīs like Pesic pushed their diva star NBA butts too hard. Slovenia on paper is without a doubt the best balkans team, top five in the world based on talent. I donīt understand their young guys, they had a perfect opportunity to make the Olympics, but Iīm happy for Nowitzki, who busted his a** for 10 years to get to the Olympics, so Vujicic and Udrih can stay in California.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: