Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far
Default JO Determined To Be An All-Star Again.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...asketball/home

O'Neal has gone out of his way to prove he's ready for a fresh start in Toronto.

Following news of the deal, O'Neal called Colangelo, Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell and Bosh, in each case assuring them he was determined to make the most of a fresh start and fit in well alongside Bosh. He wanted to prove his string of six consecutive all-star seasons was the norm and the past two years the exception.

More important, he's been walking the walk, Abunassar says.

O'Neal has spent nearly two months focusing primarily on basketball-specific fitness training with just a dusting of skill work thrown in. His fitness and health have continued to improved, and he's now up to 45 minutes of basketball work following nearly two hours of therapy and training.

His four- to five-hour days will get longer later this month as he begins to scrimmage against other NBA players later this month.

"Most NBA players don't start coming in until June or July," Abunassar said. "But Jermaine was here in May. He was very determined to get into elite shape, and we set up a four-month plan to get there and we're way ahead of schedule.

"I've been doing this for 10 years and he's as good a guy as I've had in terms of focusing on the plan and doing what it takes to get ready. If he keeps going at this pace, he's going to have a tremendous summer and be able to roll right into training camp. He'll be ready."

power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Salami_N_Cheese
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Salami_N_Cheese has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: JO Determined To Be An All-Star Again.

Sounds like the VC situation we had....average career lows due to injuries and lack of motivation.....fresh start......breakout year! Good thing we're on the other end of the deal this time. I honestly feel like JO can average numbers that are close to his all star years. Especially with a Co-Leader in Bosh and a core of players that are "team" oriented. And if you extrapolate Jose's minutes to around 40 mins a game, he can average close to Nash's numbers last year....somewhere in the 16ppg and 12 assists.

DAMN, the more time I spend on this forum reading posts the more excited I get for the season!!!

LET THE CHAMPIONSHIP RUN BEGIN! haha
Salami_N_Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
ejeezy
I airball my layups

ejeezy has an OK reputation so far

i just really want to see Colangelo swing a deal for a good scoring SG, then ill be head over heels for this team... i dont want parker to be included in it though, he should come off the bench
ejeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeezy
i just really want to see Colangelo swing a deal for a good scoring SG, then ill be head over heels for this team... i dont want parker to be included in it though, he should come off the bench

Not gonna happen this year.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
power works
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeezy

Any trades for a scoring wing will more likely happen during the season or by the all-star break, should the need arise. Of course it would look good on paper if the Raps have added a Maggette or maybe even a Crawford. But the luxury tax police indicates thereís nada money. Maybe just enough to buy 2 of Bryanís suits.

As of now you have AP, Kapono, Moon, Adams & Graham. None of them a threat to dominate, but 2 of them can shoot lights out from trey. Add 2 other decent shooters in Jose & Bargnani and Raps will likely finish in the top tier in 3-pt shooting again. That makes it a easier for the big men to operate. And thatís basically the teamís bread ní butter. To ride Bosh & JO. If they gel and be healthy you may not need a dominant scoring wing. What they need is to limit the other teamís wings from killing them, as witnessed mucho times last year. JO should help limit any highlight dunks whenever LeBron blows by Moon.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by power works
Any trades for a scoring wing will more likely happen during the season or by the all-star break, should the need arise. Of course it would look good on paper if the Raps have added a Maggette or maybe even a Crawford. But the luxury tax police indicates there’s nada money. Maybe just enough to buy 2 of Bryan’s suits.

As of now you have AP, Kapono, Moon, Adams & Graham. None of them a threat to dominate, but 2 of them can shoot lights out from trey. Add 2 other decent shooters in Jose & Bargnani and Raps will likely finish in the top tier in 3-pt shooting again. That makes it a easier for the big men to operate. And that’s basically the team’s bread n’ butter. To ride Bosh & JO. If they gel and be healthy you may not need a dominant scoring wing. What they need is to limit the other team’s wings from killing them, as witnessed mucho times last year. JO should help limit any highlight dunks whenever LeBron blows by Moon.

100% agreed!!! The team needs to focus on gettin' the ball to Bosh and JO, then the open shots will come from Kapono, Parker and Jose

Look at the Utah Jazz back then with Malone and Stockton.. they didn't win the champs (lost to bulls) but make it to the finals with the likes of Hornacek at SG (similar to Kapono)

Last edited by Sekman : 07-09-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
100% agreed!!! The team needs to focus on gettin' the ball to Bosh and JO, then the open shots will come from Kapono, Parker and Jose

Look at the Utah Jazz back then with Malone and Stockton.. they didn't win the champs (lost to bulls) but make it to the finals with the likes of Hornacek at SG (similar to Kapono)

Jeff Hornacek was 1000 times better then Jason Kapono...come on.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
power works
High School JV MVP

Just watching the Jose press conference.

And Bryan just said Jose was nice enough to restructure the money his upcoming contract to save the club $60,000 (after the official cap money came out).

The Raptors are officially $1,107 below the luxury tax.

Not enough for even one of Bryan's suits.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Wow....were are we in terms of overall payroll now? Like ranking in the NBA? Obviously teams final numbers aren't close to being in.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Jeff Hornacek was 1000 times better then Jason Kapono...come on.

1000 times better than Jason Kapono??? I can't agree with that.

Hornacek might be better, but not that much better, my point is only to draw comparison and I think Kapono has similar caliber/ability - shooting the three...

Also, Hornacek WAS better than Jason Kapono... during his final years and playoff seaons... I think Kapono can develop the same way.. with bosh JO and calderon playing significant minutes this comin' year

What about the year when the Rockets won? They only had Olajuwon and Cassell, the SF/SGs weren't superstars as well (mario elie, kenny smith?)

I guess my point is not all good teams have an mediocre SF/SG... an excellent perimeter shooter to complement is often the answer.

All-Star PG, PF and C would be sufficient to be a contender
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

I hope his abg is more than 13 pts...more than 8 rebounds...more than 1 block..... and shooting a respectible %.

Id be happy.. thats some good contribution
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #12
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Hornacek might be better, but not that much better, my point is only to draw comparison and I think Kapono has similar caliber/ability - shooting the three...

Also, Hornacek WAS better than Jason Kapono... during his final years and playoff seaons... I think Kapono can develop the same way.. with bosh JO and calderon playing significant minutes this comin' year

What about the year when the Rockets won? They only had Olajuwon and Cassell, the SF/SGs weren't superstars as well (mario elie, kenny smith?)

I guess my point is not all good teams have an mediocre SF/SG... an excellent perimeter shooter to complement is often the answer.

DREXLER?!?!?!?!?
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:

Sorry, but I question your historical basketball knowledge. Comparing Jason Kapono to Jeff Hornacek is ridiculous. They are both white and can shoot the 3 well...comparison's end there. Hornacek average 20/5/5 on 51% FG when he played for Phoenix. He put up 19/4/7 the next year in Philly. Then he had all those Utah years.

And Houston actually had great guard play. Horry was also a young force at the 3. You say Kenny Smith as if he was bad...he was quite good. Elie, Maxwell, Clyde...top quality guard rotation to team with Hakeem. Cassell wasn't even starting..he was just another member of a great backcourt.

Anyway, not really relevant to the Raptors.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Too_Cool has an OK reputation so far

I'm not worried about the offensive side of our current wing players, I'm concerned about them on the defensive side of the ball. One of our biggest weakensses was their defense last year.

That was what I was lookin for in a new wing if we were to in fact get one this off season.

W/e we will see.
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
power works
High School JV MVP

Excerpts from JO press conference:

JO looks pretty sharp in a dark suit with diamond earrings that probably costs 5x an average Canuck makes in a year.

He's gonna wear jersey #6.

- BC says out of the TJ sweepstakes, JO deal was considered the best.

- SMitch says it’s pretty sweet that the 17th pick yielded a 20/10 guy. He's already studying old Spurs tapes of Robinson/Duncan.

- JO trains in Vegas and has run into Raptor tourists that voiced their support.

- When JO first heard of the trade from his agent, he was ecstatic, in his words.. “a great emotional high for the next 4 days...."

- JO on CB4: “…one of the best players in the game….I like to bang….he’s more finesse...."

- JO on duo: “….league hasn’t seen a big man tandem like this since Duncan/Robinson”

- JO on his problem knee: “….tore it 2.5 years ago…a meniscus tear…..didn’t want to have surgery initially caused he wanted to play….playing injured made it worse…..next season came back too early cause of the new coach…..sitting out 40+ games last year was a career move to rest the knee…..no doubt in his mind this will be a healthy upcoming year for him…..”

- Medical team on JO: Raptor doctors examined the latest MRI, scans….yada yada…and BC is not the least bit concerned about the knee.

- JO: “…numbers don’t measure success….sacrifices have to be made due to the talented roster….ultimately his success should be measured by wins and losses”

- JO on Bargnani: “…..has a lot of talent…very young….worked out together in the academy in LV…..needs physical presence, toughness…..can change the game due to his size and shooting….called him Andre in the press conference...

- Reporter asks JO whose team is it? JO: "...this is Chris team….he’s just here to help the team…..

- JO: ”….I’m not 50 years old….I played on 1 leg for awhile”
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: