Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation
Default Boozer for Kaman?

Hey, I was talking with a friend about this. What do you think from a Jazz fan perspective? Would Kaman work out and would we be better off this year?

Williams 36 /Price 12
Brewer 24/Korver 24
Kirilenko 36/Harpring 12
Okur 24 /Milsap 24
Kaman 36 /Okur 12

BTW, Luigi is my new username. I got to 2000 with L>M and decided to rebuild with a better name.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Boozer for Kaman?

I'd do it. I'd try to get Brevin Knight and maybe Powell and the big guy they have the rights to in Greece too.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Kaman is mostly a financial decision. Once we give Williams a big extension, I don't think we have enough money to keep Boozer around. We might be able to keep Milsap.

2008-09
Williams/Price
Brewer/Korver
AK/Harpring
Okur/Milsap
Kaman/Okur/Collins

2009-10
Williams/x
Brewer/Almond
AK/Harpring
Okur (resign)/Milsap (resign, 6th man of year?)
Kaman/Okur/Koufos

2010-2011
Williams/x
Almond
AK/Milsap
Okur/Milsap
Kaman/Okur/Koufos

If I thought we could keep Boozer and Okur with Williams, I would.
This is why I don't understand WHY?!?
-no Marion for AK, would have freed us up now or next year, aka perfect timing
-Giricek for Korver, Korver could stay under contract through all the important sigings (Williams, Boozer, Okur, Milsap) while Giricek was expiring.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

In a heartbeat, provided LAC sweetens the deal a bit with Knight and/or a pick. Good centers are harder to come by than good PFs, and Kaman adds defense as well as nearly keeping up with Boozer's rebounds. Of course we lose offense and some free looks for Okur, but it'd give Millsap a chance to step up and AK some minutes at his primary position.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

I like the look of that right now too.

It feels wierd to trade Boozer though. I had a lot of confidence riding on him. Kaman's defense might be what we need though. I wonder if Kaman would be more or less effective with us?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I don't think we have enough money to keep Boozer around

Jerry loves Boozer. Boozer loves money and he's probably in the best place for him basketball wise. Jazz will pay him more than anyone else(max) and give him the ball more than anyone else. He'll stay as will Harpring another fave. Collins will probably get another contract as a player/coach. The rest of the spots are up for grabs.

Quote:
This is why I don't understand WHY?!?
-no Marion for AK, would have freed us up now or next year, aka perfect timing
-Giricek for Korver, Korver could stay under contract through all the important sigings (Williams, Boozer, Okur, Milsap) while Giricek was expiring.

Korver can become a FA too. They figure they'll be able to make a move with AK or others when the time comes that they are forced to do that. They aren't about making moves just to keep up with the Jones' as they've shown time and time again.

Quote:
I wonder if Kaman would be more or less effective with us?

As long as Jerry puts him in the game which of course there is no guarantee of that with Sloan.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Jerry loves Boozer. Boozer loves money and he's probably in the best place for him basketball wise. Jazz will pay him more than anyone else(max) and give him the ball more than anyone else. He'll stay as will Harpring another fave. Collins will probably get another contract as a player/coach. The rest of the spots are up for grabs.

Korver can become a FA too. They figure they'll be able to make a move with AK or others when the time comes that they are forced to do that. They aren't about making moves just to keep up with the Jones' as they've shown time and time again.

As long as Jerry puts him in the game which of course there is no guarantee of that with Sloan.

I am afraid that chance is gone. AK's contract is an increasing one (less common for Utah signings), which makes it harder to move him every year we wait. Plus he doesn't expire until summer 2011, after everybody wants a shot at the big free agents. I would be very suprised if we get a better looking offer than Marion for AK on a player comparison level, or on a financial freedom standpoint either.

Like I said, if we can keep Boozer and Williams, I would do it. I just don't see how we can if we sign Williams to a max extention and still have Kirilenko on the books. Do you have a plan? These are my best resources for that.
http://*********.com/salaries/utah.htm
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-09-10
Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #8
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Gordon Monson read my post.:)
July 14
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/...p--Monday.html
Quote:
Gordon Monson of The Salt Lake Tribune: "Carlos Boozer's not Karl Malone, especially not at the defensive end, but he is the team's low-post presence, bringing 20 points and 10 rebounds every night, and in the NBA that makes him a ridiculously valuable asset. The question is: How ridiculously valuable? Boozer can opt out of his deal at the end of next season, which he likely will do, making his services available to the most attractive -- read: highest -- bidder, whose bidding might blast into the $130 million range. That's a difficult plate of biscuits for the Jazz to chew, given that they already will be paying Williams max money, well worth it, and Andrei Kirilenko the same, well ... not worth it. Add Boozer's new market value to that mix, along with the Jazz's other projected salary obligations, then consider that their payroll already rests in the low $60 million range, with the luxury-tax threshold at $71 million, and it's easy to see why the whole equation doesn't compute."
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I am afraid that chance is gone. AK's contract is an increasing one (less common for Utah signings), which makes it harder to move him every year we wait.

Not necessarily. The less years he has on his deal the more attractive it can become too.

Quote:
Plus he doesn't expire until summer 2011, after everybody wants a shot at the big free agents.

That's a good point but AK might be a more realistic option for someone than Lebron.

Quote:
I would be very suprised if we get a better looking offer than Marion for AK on a player comparison level, or on a financial freedom standpoint either.

I wouldn't. They've probably had lots of other decent offers for him that we don't even know about. I don't think they need a player to replace him like Marion would have. They have people on the roster to replace him so if they can fill other needs rather it be one player or multiple players/picks/cash or just a salary dump on a team with cap space an opportunity will be there if they want.

Quote:
if we can keep Boozer and Williams, I would do it.

Depends on the price. Boozer isn't worth max but I see them giving him that if that's what it takes.

Quote:
Do you have a plan?

Already said above.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
collusion
Win one for LHM

collusion has an OK reputation so far

One of the great advantages we've had this year is a deep bench with millsap, miles, harpring, korver, etc. If we were to sign boozer we lose this advantage. The most appealing part about kaman is that we will have freedom to keep a deep bench (besides the fact he can actually play D).
collusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

No thanks. I like Kaman, but not if Boozer is the price to get him. Unlike many Jazz fans, I don't think Boozer is going anywhere. Here, he can get the most money, contend for a decade, and play with a once-in-a-generation point guard on a team that suits his game to a T. Why would he leave?
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Because he'd rather live in Miami(which he already does) and play with one of two guys that have already proven they can carry a team to a title.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
No thanks. I like Kaman, but not if Boozer is the price to get him. Unlike many Jazz fans, I don't think Boozer is going anywhere. Here, he can get the most money, contend for a decade, and play with a once-in-a-generation point guard on a team that suits his game to a T. Why would he leave?

I know. I used to agree. How are we going to give him the most money though?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

By moving others. Denver just showed that is always a possibility.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #15
collusion
Win one for LHM

collusion has an OK reputation so far

Denver did just show that. How wise that was is unclear. We'd have to do it with AK or Okur to make it matter (possibly our midlevel guys korver and harpring). I can't imagine them letting go of AK for swapping second round picks after turning down marion.
collusion is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: