Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 07-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: Boozer for Kaman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiye
It amazes me how much credit people give to Boozer for the Jazz's success. He's a nice player and all but Williams is the piece that makes it all work. If you had seen more Jazz games you'd realize how useless he is on the defensive end. I know this sounds rough, but he's basically Randolph with better passing skills and he's more likely to pass than ZBo.

Honestly, I don't think this is a bad trade for the Jazz. They have enough offesnive weapons, Okur is a good rebounder and a much better man-man defender than Boozer - he can make up for the scoring we'd lose from losing Boozer.

Shifting Okur to PF would make people realize that he's not all that bad defensively, he just can't block a shot to save his life. Kaman could take care of the shot blocking and the rest of the rebounding while scoring down low a bit. This would also make it easier to sign Milsap after this season (which will be impossible if Boozer is around).

The Jazz may not win as many regular season games but I like the idea of Okur/Kaman better than Boozer/Okur come playoff time.
I think it's more amazing how people are overrating Chris Kaman. The guy's been like a 12/8.5 guy his career. Elton Brand gets hurt, more shots and rebounds to be had, and his stats go up. It's not surprising.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
qrich
King Heno

No thanks. Davis-Mobley-Thornton-Fazekas-Kaman > Davis-Mobley-Thornton-Boozer-Jordan
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
craiye
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think it's more amazing how people are overrating Chris Kaman. The guy's been like a 12/8.5 guy his career. Elton Brand gets hurt, more shots and rebounds to be had, and his stats go up. It's not surprising.

I'm not saying that Kaman is equal value for Boozer but getting equal value for Boozer just isn't going to happen. There's a good chance he'll opt out and screw you over after this year and he just had a terrible time in the playoffs.

Kaman would fill a need for the Jazz - a big man who can play D, rebound, block shots and score inside. He'd be a downgrade talent wise but he may be the piece they need to be successful. It's tough to tell though and I doubt that Boozer is getting traded. If anyone on the Jazz is getting traded it's AK47 and/or Okur.

I just feel like the Jazz have 2 other guys in Okur and Milsap that can do the same things as Boozer but play defense better. If you have a 3 man rotation of Okur/Kaman/Milsap I don't think the Jazz would end up missing Boozer too much, they have a lot of talent at the 4/5 right now but none that can really be a defensive presence in the lane.

I'd rather the Jazz wait to see how things pan out this year before they start making deals though. They've got a few Cs lined up now that could turn into the defensive anchor they need, only time will tell...
craiye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiye
I'm not saying that Kaman is equal value for Boozer but getting equal value for Boozer just isn't going to happen. There's a good chance he'll opt out and screw you over after this year and he just had a terrible time in the playoffs.

Kaman would fill a need for the Jazz - a big man who can play D, rebound, block shots and score inside. He'd be a downgrade talent wise but he may be the piece they need to be successful. It's tough to tell though and I doubt that Boozer is getting traded. If anyone on the Jazz is getting traded it's AK47 and/or Okur.

I just feel like the Jazz have 2 other guys in Okur and Milsap that can do the same things as Boozer but play defense better. If you have a 3 man rotation of Okur/Kaman/Milsap I don't think the Jazz would end up missing Boozer too much, they have a lot of talent at the 4/5 right now but none that can really be a defensive presence in the lane.

I'd rather the Jazz wait to see how things pan out this year before they start making deals though. They've got a few Cs lined up now that could turn into the defensive anchor they need, only time will tell...

Why didn't we take Marion for AK.

Yup, three man rotation there would be great. Adding a third big to cover the defense seems like the solution to me.

Fes could do it! Nah, I have way too much homer confindence in him. Can't wait that long. But I do think he has the best shot out of Kosta and him. Looks like you might have to convince Kosta to get in the paint, all the while Fes is busy getting 3 second calls.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
intrinsic
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi
So I'm not high...:)

Like I said, if I thought we could keep Boozer, I wouldn't shoot at Kaman.

since someone brought up Okur, is there any reason to believe he wouldn't opt out of the 9m due to him in 09-10?
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
craiye
Local High School Star

Quote:
Why didn't we take Marion for AK.

Yup, three man rotation there would be great. Adding a third big to cover the defense seems like the solution to me.

Fes could do it! Nah, I have way too much homer confindence in him. Can't wait that long. But I do think he has the best shot out of Kosta and him. Looks like you might have to convince Kosta to get in the paint, all the while Fes is busy getting 3 second calls.

I'm hoping Fesenko starts contributing this year but who knows? He's a bit raw to step in and fill the hole ASAP, but I'm hoping just like you are
Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #22
craiye
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic
since someone brought up Okur, is there any reason to believe he wouldn't opt out of the 9m due to him in 09-10?

I think that depends on how well he plays this season. He was on an all star level the season before last (when he was the replacement for Boozer on the AS team) so he's capable. If he plays like he did last season I don't think he'll opt out.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #23
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrinsic

Blind Trust.

If he does opt out, he knows he is leaving so we can pay Boozer and Williams. I will miss him. Guy is crazy clutch, has a post game now, plays great post defense and is hilarious in interviews.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #24
starface
Banned

i've always liked boozer but for some reason, and i dont know if its real or imagined, but my opinion of his game has been very slowly sliding downward. maybe i just had him overrated slightly to begin with, cuz i always saw him as a guy that was super valuable, but lately im starting to think that while he's above average, he's not really the stud i once perceived him as. at this point, as a clipper fan, i think i would rather just keep kaman.

Last edited by starface : 07-14-2008 at 08:43 PM.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #25
starface
Banned

Quote:
Blind Trust.

If he does opt out, he knows he is leaving so we can pay Boozer and Williams. I will miss him. Guy is crazy clutch, has a post game now, plays great post defense and is hilarious in interviews.

uhh, im pretty sure "memo" has put up at least as many duds in big games as he has quality performances thus far
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #26
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
uhh, im pretty sure "memo" has put up at least as many duds in big games as he has quality performances thus far

He has hit quite a few buzzerbeaters in the playoffs. He is always a big option for Williams creating in a game end situation. He has hit enough big threes for me to trust him, and I think the gerneral consensus is that he is a clutch shooter.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #27
collusion
Win one for LHM

Boozer is great on offense but the Jazz do not lack for offense firepower. I think that all you need is to add a defensive inside presence to the Jazz and they are serious contenders. Boozer is a complete liability on defense. However he is a legit offensive weapon that would be useful to the Clips seeing as how they were the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league last year and that they just lost they're number one scorer to golden state. I see it as a win win
collusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #28
Darius
Good college starter

Quote:
That is a legitimate concern. Okur can still run it, albeit differently than Boozer does.

A lot of the motivation for the trade comes from finances. I am not sure Utah will have the dough to keep Boozer after this coming season. The other half of the motivation comes from Boozer's lack of defense. Kaman would sure up the center. Maybe clippers could throw in Knight to back up Williams? Or a pick? I really didn't think there was that big of a disparity between Boozer and Kaman.

I think Boozer is a better player than Kaman but Kaman is locked in to a reasonable contract which ups his value.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #29
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by collusion
Boozer is great on offense but the Jazz do not lack for offense firepower. I think that all you need is to add a defensive inside presence to the Jazz and they are serious contenders. Boozer is a complete liability on defense. However he is a legit offensive weapon that would be useful to the Clips seeing as how they were the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league last year and that they just lost they're number one scorer to golden state. I see it as a win win

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius
I think Boozer is a better player than Kaman but Kaman is locked in to a reasonable contract which ups his value.

This is exactly why I thought the trade was reasonable.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

clippers would need to throw on their next year's 1st rounder to even it out a little...

utah is a good fit for kaman, though... he'll fit white in.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: