Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation
Default Clippers making a push for Iggy?

i just heard it on wip. instead of going all out to get a 4 (okafor, smith) the stupid clippers are just interested in revenge. lets see wat stefanski will do. it may take at least 5 years 60 mil to keep him in philly.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Clippers making a push for Iggy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
i just heard it on wip. instead of going all out to get a 4 (okafor, smith) the stupid clippers are just interested in revenge. lets see wat stefanski will do. it may take at least 5 years 60 mil to keep him in philly.
They offered him a 57 mil/5 year extention, so I doubt another 3 mil would be a big deal to match. Need to hear it from a newspaper or something though. Can't trust the radio.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

If the Clippers push the number too high, work a sign and trade. Don't set the team back with overpaying guys like they did a few years back.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
babybulls85
I brick open layups

babybulls85 has an OK reputation so far

I'm not sure what the most the clippers can offer is, but you have to bring him back or it defeats the whole point of getting Elton. You guys are about to turn the corner, you have to match it and I think you will.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
ppierce34

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
I'm not sure what the most the clippers can offer is, but you have to bring him back or it defeats the whole point of getting Elton. You guys are about to turn the corner, you have to match it and I think you will.

No, if the Clippers offer him 5-70-75, you don't match, you try and work out a deal. I like Iguodala, but he's not good enough to pay that kind of money and the team is good, but not a championship contender and overpaying him isn't going to change that. He's a borderline all-star, you don't pay those guys 70-75 million if you want to win a championship.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
babybulls85
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
No, if the Clippers offer him 5-70-75, you don't match, you try and work out a deal. I like Iguodala, but he's not good enough to pay that kind of money and the team is good, but not a championship contender and overpaying him isn't going to change that. He's a borderline all-star, you don't pay those guys 70-75 million if you want to win a championship.

I agree and a disagree. I think that applies more for up and coming teams looking to sign more free agents under the cap. For your team, even if you sign Iggy for 60 million you are going to have 35-40 million locked up between Dalembert, Iggy, and Elton Brand. Maybe even more after 3 years if Dalembert re-ups his contract. I think that either way 60 or 70 million you will most likely be over the cap for the life of EB's contract so paying extra money to Iggy wouldn't be as big of an issue with signing free agents, since you will most likely have to do sign-and-trades or MLE deals anyway. That two million could come into play with luxury tax, but Philly has paid the luxury tax before and if it means a shot at the title I think they are a big enough market to afford it.

The only argument would be that by not signing Iggy you will be able to land an equal or better free agent, but the way FA's travel around this league I don't know how much of an option that will be. It isn't often big time free agents really switch teams, most end up going back to their old teams. You could say in 2010 there is a big class coming up, but I don't think you will have the cap room to sign one of them even without Iggy. Assuming you let him walk, you would have 4 players under contract for the season after the big FA class and that would total 37 million dollars. This doesn't include andre miller who if you resign could cost you his going rate of 10 million per year, even if you bump that down to 8 you now have 5 players at 45 million. Pick up Thaddeus Young and Jason Smith's contract and now you have 7 players at 50 million. Lebron and Dwade are going to be looking at 25% of the cap so you would be pushing it offly close.

You would come so close to the cap without iggy that him at 12 million a year(on average) vs 14 million (on average) would both put you over the cap.

You could go the other direction and let andre and iggy both walk and then hold out for 2010, but what if you strike out with dwade and lebron? you wouldn't be a playoff team.

Overall, unless you're going to let iggy walk no matter what, I don't think there is a big difference between 60 and 70 million

Last edited by babybulls85 : 07-15-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
ppierce34

The Sixers have actually been hesitant with the luxury tax before, whether they would be now, I don't know. And by not signing Iggy, I'm not saying let him walk, they could attempt a sign and trade with the Clippers and work out a deal that could bring back players, contracts, or picks of value. Small differences or not, I don't think you pay borderline all-stars that kind of money.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Im so nba'd out
Banned

Im so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIm so nba'd out has one of the lowest reputations on this board

The Sixers have already stated that they will match any offer for iguodala so he will be a sixer no matter what.
Im so nba'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
babybulls85
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im so nba'd out
The Sixers have already stated that they will match any offer for iguodala so he will be a sixer no matter what.

Elton Brand also said he'd be a clipper
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
Elton Brand also said he'd be a clipper
Yeah...the Sixers are lying about their intentions on resigning Iggy. They don't REALLY want to do it. And eventually they'll throw Iggy under the bus, just like Brand did to the Clips. Right?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Clippers have traded for Camby. No longer have the cap space for a big free agent. Welcome back Andre!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 AM   #12
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Clippers have traded for Camby. No longer have the cap space for a big free agent. Welcome back Andre!
chyea
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: