Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Channing Frye

I always thought that Channing Frye had a less-appealing version of Aldridge's game, and now with the addition of a quality back-up PF (Diogu's a beast), Frye really seems redundant to me.

He has expressed to management that he'll do whatever is needed to stay a part of the Blazers' franchise, but what is value on the market??? What could Portland get for him?
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Channing Frye

I think at the trade deadline, Portland could have gotten a lot for him but he began to faulter near the end of the season so his value may have gone down. I wouldn't expect anything more than a decent role player like a Bobby Jackson or Edjuardo Najera type.

Also, you might get a lot of heat for saying Diogu is a beat (although he is) because some people around here think differently.

But Diogu is a beast on the boards and in the blocks on offense. I think Blazer fans will love him after they see his hustle.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I think at the trade deadline, Portland could have gotten a lot for him but he began to faulter near the end of the season so his value may have gone down. I wouldn't expect anything more than a decent role player like a Bobby Jackson or Edjuardo Najera type.

Also, you might get a lot of heat for saying Diogu is a beat (although he is) because some people around here think differently.

But Diogu is a beast on the boards and in the blocks on offense. I think Blazer fans will love him after they see his hustle.

I watched Diogu for four years when he played Arizona State (i'm a Duck) and anyone who flames me for thinking Diogu will be a force hasn't watched him play.

He's a TENACIOUS rebounder that has a developed low-post offensive game with pump fakes and great footwork. He may be shorter for a PF, but he's got long arms with good timing for blocking, and can play man-up defense.

Oh and don't forget that he was a 90% freethrow shooter at ASU.

Seems like a great complement to Aldridge/Frye (if he stays) to me. Total steal by the Blazers.... again
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I think at the trade deadline, Portland could have gotten a lot for him but he began to faulter near the end of the season so his value may have gone down.

What? At the end of the season he probably raised his value. The moment Joel went out with an injury, Frye really filled the void.

Bankshot - I agree Frye is redundant, but I'm not ready to call Diogu a quality backup yet. He really hasn't proven anything in the league yet. If Diogu pans out, then sure, trade Frye. But I'm not ready to trade Frye for a guy that averages something like 4 and 4 (I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers right now).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

Yes he filled in for Joel but his production still dipped.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
I think at the trade deadline, Portland could have gotten a lot for him but he began to faulter near the end of the season so his value may have gone down.

Seriously? The end of the season? That time he put up four consecutive double-doubles?
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

Thats the only thing people point too. Wow, he put up consecutive double doubles...that automatically eliminates everything else he did.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I watched Diogu for four years when he played Arizona State (i'm a Duck) and anyone who flames me for thinking Diogu will be a force hasn't watched him play.

He's a TENACIOUS rebounder that has a developed low-post offensive game with pump fakes and great footwork. He may be shorter for a PF, but he's got long arms with good timing for blocking, and can play man-up defense.

Oh and don't forget that he was a 90% freethrow shooter at ASU.

Seems like a great complement to Aldridge/Frye (if he stays) to me. Total steal by the Blazers.... again

i saw a number of games of ike at GS and i thought that he was developing well-- until the trade

ike can surprise many this year which i agree could make channing expendable. i think that the blazers would do well to add some veteran depth-- someone who has experienced going deep into the playoffs

when it comes to crunch time, this type of bench experience makes a big difference in the nba

Last edited by RainierBeachPoet : 07-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Thats the only thing people point too. Wow, he put up consecutive double doubles...that automatically eliminates everything else he did.

The point of mentioning the double doubles is that it shows that he can be productive if the minutes are available. He got limited minutes behind Przybilla and Aldridge, but any team that would be interested in him would likely have minutes to fill and are curious what he can do in a bigger role.

Also, he didn't have that big of a dip in the second half. Heck, I can't even really remember it. I think in this particular case, those 4 games really helped his image. If he stunk up the entire season and then had those 4 games, that is one thing. But having a decent season that had maybe a slight decline in the second half followed by a strong finish isn't really going to reduce his trade value.

Edit: Also, what is the point of bringing in Najera or Bobby Jackson? We would lose a good young PF for either a 6'1" 35 year old PG (which we are packed at that position) or a 32 year old SF, both of which are less productive than players at those very positions that we currently have and we would lose our backup PF to do so. Trading for them would make no sense.

Last edited by Myth : 07-16-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

unfortunately frye should have been included with the bayless deal .. frye's value when this season starts and when ike actually steals playing time from him would be very low.. i hope he learns a thing or two from the post up game of oden.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Myth

How would it have been better to include Frye in the Bayless deal? That doesn't make any sense to me. I still don't think Ike is getting many minutes. He might start out with 10 mpg if he is lucky, but mostly to see what he can do. He easily may have to settle with 10 mpg, mostly garbage time.

Last edited by Myth : 07-17-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
veilside23

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

i just think that frye might be stuck in here until his contract is up being a bench warmer. however i know nate is a really good coach so he will still get mins . you could have picked up travis diener.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #13
Myth

Diener wouldn't play on this team either.

Ok, I get the idea of unloading Frye's contract, but its not huge and we need a backup PF if we lost him. I would be completely shocked if Diogu ended up being good enough to play Frye's minutes.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
veilside23

if only we could have lured a craig smith type of back up for aldridge ... wait landry hasnt signed yet right?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:11 AM   #15
Myth

Why is everybody so down on Frye? Sure, I'd love a bruiser too, but the 2nd string combo has Przybilla (D) and Frye (O), which doesn't sound so bad if you ask me.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: