Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool
Default Ukic inked for 3 years

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/rokoukic_071608.html

Hopefully he can play a bit of 2 guard competently in the NBA as well. Do we use MLE money for this signing or no?
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board
Default Re: Ukic inked for 3 years

Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

BrownBaller has an OK reputation so far

do i remember wrong, or at one point was this guy projected as a lottery pick on nbadraft.net wayy back when? Also I feel a small reason he signed is the team he played for just signed brandon jennings who would probably take the keys to the team cause he is after all the #1 rated PG of the class of 2009

..hopefully roko can show us something, i'm lookin forward to it
BrownBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

12 pts, 6 reb and 5 ast in 24 mins against puerto rico and carlos arroyo today.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBaller
do i remember wrong, or at one point was this guy projected as a lottery pick on nbadraft.net wayy back when? Also I feel a small reason he signed is the team he played for just signed brandon jennings who would probably take the keys to the team cause he is after all the #1 rated PG of the class of 2009

..hopefully roko can show us something, i'm lookin forward to it

He was expected to go in the 12-18 range in his draft, but he dropped like a stone come draft day because he had to pay his own buyout with his European Club, and most teams expected him to just stay over in Europe rather then coming to the NBA and paying the buyout with his money (since he'd make more money in Europe then on his rookie salary), hence why he slid to the Raptors at 41 and why it's been like 3-4 years before he's finally making it over to the NBA.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Should be interesting to see how he does in the NBA..Calderon had a bit of an adjustment period and I would expect the same from Ukic.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

Ukic should be fine. He'll have a good mentor in Calderon for him to adjust to the NBA. As long as he can come off the bench when Calderon is tired and make some stops on d he should survive. His offensive game doesn't look too bad viewing some of his plays on youtube. I'd like to see him become another 3 point threat but some ball handling and passing are a must.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

I am sure we all seen our share of Ukic highlights if u do keep track of where he's played. I think he will be a solid player in at least 2nd year.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I don't know about making stops on D at the NBA level right now, but I think he'll be fine. He could emerge as an upper elechon backup PG.

I am concerned about Mitchell coaching him. I read a few articles that Mitchell used to blast Jose over and over...in games, in practice, swearing at him etc. Pretty brutal stuff. It worked with Jose, because that is his mentality obviously, but who knows if it will work with everyone. Although, is it possible Mitchell actually tailored his approach to what he felt would work with Jose...a la Phil Jackson.....nah...too much credit for the Smich.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I don't know about making stops on D at the NBA level right now, but I think he'll be fine. He could emerge as an upper elechon backup PG.

I am concerned about Mitchell coaching him. I read a few articles that Mitchell used to blast Jose over and over...in games, in practice, swearing at him etc. Pretty brutal stuff. It worked with Jose, because that is his mentality obviously, but who knows if it will work with everyone. Although, is it possible Mitchell actually tailored his approach to what he felt would work with Jose...a la Phil Jackson.....nah...too much credit for the Smich.

If there is one thing that is Sam Mitchell's strength is making his team's PG better. He had his run-ins with Rafer, but rafer played decently well under Sam Mitchell. Mike James had a career year under Sam Mitchell (whether it be because of contract of Sam, it was under sam's coaching). TJ Ford improved pretty much each year he was with Sam. and Sam brought up Jose Calderon. Sam has a pretty good track record when it comes to making his PGs produce...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
If there is one thing that is Sam Mitchell's strength is making his team's PG better. He had his run-ins with Rafer, but rafer played decently well under Sam Mitchell. Mike James had a career year under Sam Mitchell (whether it be because of contract of Sam, it was under sam's coaching). TJ Ford improved pretty much each year he was with Sam. and Sam brought up Jose Calderon. Sam has a pretty good track record when it comes to making his PGs produce...

A lot of that has to do with the PG's having the freedom to do whatever they want but I agree with you. Sometimes it backfires when the PG is making bad decisions (Alston, James and Ford chucking and Calderon overdribbling) but Sam has had more of a positive than negative effect on the PG's.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

In the end, it's about maximizing your possessions and I think under Sam, our PGs have done that much offensively. Defensively, it's a team effort and we haven't been good in that regard for a long while now, hopefully with JO, it gets better...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

He'll be fine...saw him this morning against Canada...has a knack for finding the open man. A decent shooter...and has a nice fisrt step and plays the lanes decent enough..saw him with at least a steal and maybe teo or three deflections. He should get about 10-14 mins a game backing up Jose.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
He'll be fine...saw him this morning against Canada...has a knack for finding the open man. A decent shooter...and has a nice fisrt step and plays the lanes decent enough..saw him with at least a steal and maybe teo or three deflections. He should get about 10-14 mins a game backing up Jose.

Yeah he didn't get much burn but he did show kind of why people sometimes make the Jason Williams kind of comparisions. He'll at least bring a change of pace when Calderon sits.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: