Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Dalembert Booted From Team Canada

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor..._the_door.html

Quote:
Samuel Dalembert still has the Canadian citizenship he so desperately wanted. But his place on his adopted country's national basketball team - just two victories away from qualifying for the Beijing Olympics - is gone.
A source familiar with the situation said Dalembert had a major falling out with Canada coach Leo Rautins as the team was boarding the bus for yesterday's qualifying tournament game against Korea in Athens, Greece.

"This is extremely disappointing because a lot of effort was made to make this work," Rautins told the Daily News last night. "Sam's teammates are extremely disappointed in him and how he alienated himself from them."

Rautins said the rest of the players are unified and that - given the circumstances - feel they are better off without Dalembert.

Canada came back from an 18-point deficit to defeat Korea, 79-77, and needs a victory tomorrow against Croatia in the quarterfinals and a victory in the semifinals to reach the Olympics. The top three from the 12-country field qualify.

Canada's chances seemed far better with Dalembert, the 76ers center who was born in Haiti but lived in Canada as a teenager and worked diligently to gain citizenship.

"Something like this just doesn't happen in one game or overnight, it's been brewing for a little bit," Rautins, a star at Syracuse and a former Sixer, said in an earlier conference call with Canadian reporters. "Everybody that's here now wants to be here and wants to be part of this team."

Marc Cornstein, Dalembert's agent, was disappointed that anyone would question Dalembert's commitment, saying: "To question his desire seems a little ludicrous. If someone can explain what agenda Sam would have, I'm happy to hear it.

"I know Sam is very disappointed at the direction this has taken and I'm disappointed for him," Cornstein said. "I know how important this was to him. It's a very disappointing situation. This isn't the 76ers, where it's his job. If he didn't want to be in Canada, he didn't have to be. It meant so much to him."

Cornstein added: "It's been fairly well-documented that they've had a difficult time recruiting NBA players to play for them. Sam was a willing participant, becoming a citizen, playing last summer and this summer, coming off 82 games with the Sixers. If I have this right, he was there Day 1 of [Canada's] training camp . . . Good luck to Canada getting another NBA player to run to sign up." *
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Dalembert Booted From Team Canada

I'm actually glad he got the boot. Need a fresh Dalembert for the season.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Probably something brewed up from both sides:

Quote:
In Europe, insiders say Dalembert didn't participate in team meals and spent most of his time with a group of friends he had travelling with him.

"He's not a bad person," said one player agent who asked not to be named. "But his level of dedication isn't the same as a Rowan Barrett or a Joel Anthony. He's kind of got an NBA aura. He's a role player in the league, but he sees what stars can get away with there and now that he's in a smaller pond, he's pulling a lot of the same stuff."

Dalembert came to Montreal from Haiti as a teenager before moving to New Jersey to pursue basketball and finish high school. Rautins worked diligently to push Dalembert to get his citizenship work done.

Sources say Rautins may have created some of the issues because the program was desperate to add a player of his stature in the absence of the likes of Nash. "He's a player's coach and he was so happy to have Sam that he may have overlooked some things and set up a double-standard," one source said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Sports

I actually enjoy international basketball and like to see players in their national squads, so this doesn't makes me happy, despite it gives the Sixers a rested Dalembert.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Venja42
Decent playground baller

Venja42 has an OK reputation so far

I seriously wasn't surprised by any of this.

Can you imagine what their coach is thinking when you throw it to Dalembart in the high post and he reverse-pivots, puts the ball on the floor to try and break his guy down and then pulls up with a jumper that hits the backboard, ricochets off the front end of the rim and then lands in the opposing point guard's hands and he dashes down court while Sammy D is still posing with his follow-through??

Venja42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation

I actually don't care that much about Sammy getting booted from Team Canada (fresh Sammy would be good), but I'm actually more disappointed (reading the quoted article in first post) that Korea lost the game against Canada
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I'm actually glad he got the boot. Need a fresh Dalembert for the season.

Cheers to that. **** Canada they have no shot any way.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Californiafan
I brick open layups

Californiafan has an OK reputation so far

I am also glad that he is not playing this offseason. He justs seems to be a risk of injury. I am a little worried about his attitude. I know he had a little attitude last year with the coach about playing time.
Californiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Sam's always had a star attitude for some reason. This is a guy that *****ed about his touches during a big winning streak and is a guy that shouldn't be getting a lot of touches. I don't want to see any of those turnaround off the side of the backboard jumpers.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
Sam's always had a star attitude for some reason. This is a guy that *****ed about his touches during a big winning streak and is a guy that shouldn't be getting a lot of touches. I don't want to see any of those turnaround off the side of the backboard jumpers.
Brand's in. Sammy won't be getting any low post touches in those 35 mins that Brand is in.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sammy cried about touches/getting involved
Sammy cried about minutes even tho he played more mpg than he ever has
Sammy has always had a tude, during LB being here, during AI being here.

I'm starting to think that he feels he developed faster than most expected and he is owed something. Wants to be given all these oppurtunities that often he still dispite his improvement/progression simply doesnt warrant. When i heard about the problems in Canada...it didnt surprise me. True or not, I';m sure Sammy found a way to exploit the same attitude up there times 10 since afterall he is the bigger fish.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: