Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default Why the hell isn't Bargnani taking part in summerleague?

I mean, I know he's completed 2 years, but I haven't heard any reports on this guy AT ALL. You know, look at a guy like Joey Graham. We've all had problems with his inconsistent play, but you've gotta respect that he's working on it in summerleague and giving it his all out there. Bargnani on the other hand is probably in italy somewhere sipping champaigne, eating some pasta, and laughing at BC for picking him number 1 overall. I mean, I know #1 can come with some unfair expectations, however, Bargnani has done nothing but disappoint. His numbers this year were an underwhelming 10.2ppg on about 38% fg and 3.5 rebounds a game with 0.5 blocks. I mean wow, just wow. I'd have more respect for this guy if I at the very least knew he was working hard to improve his game. I hope JO is a hardass and gets on him to kick it in gear.

Last edited by bokes15 : 07-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
bonez26
Local High School Star

Default Re: Why the hell isn't Bargnani taking part in summerleague?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I mean, I know he's completed 2 years, but I haven't heard any reports on this guy AT ALL. You know, look at a guy like Joey Graham. We've all had problems with his inconsistent play, but you've gotta respect that he's working on it in summerleague and giving it his all out there. Bargnani on the other hand is probably in italy somewhere sipping champaigne, eating some pasta, and laughing at BC for picking him number 1 overall. I mean, I know #1 can come with some unfair expectations, however, Bargnani has done nothing but disappoint. His numbers this year were an underwhelming 10.2ppg on about 38% fg and 3.5 rebounds a game with 0.5 blocks. I mean wow, just wow. I'd have more respect for this guy if I at the very least knew he was working hard to improve his game. I hope JO is a hardass and gets on him to kick it in gear.

Actually he is working out with the rest of the team in Las Vegas right now and afterwards is going to attend the best big man camp (tim Grgurich's) after with Jawai.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Actually he is working out with the rest of the team in Las Vegas right now and afterwards is going to attend the best big man camp (tim Grgurich's) after with Jawai.
oh really? ok well thats good to know. although in my personal opinion i'd still prefer him in summerleague but we'll see the results.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
bonez26
Local High School Star

Quote:
oh really? ok well thats good to know. although in my personal opinion i'd still prefer him in summerleague but we'll see the results.

I'd rather him playing against stiffer competition and working out with the coaches one on one...Oh and with JO..said he's gonna push him around a bit. He'll learn much more there than at summer league.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
I'd rather him playing against stiffer competition and working out with the coaches one on one...Oh and with JO..said he's gonna push him around a bit. He'll learn much more there than at summer league.
true. good point.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:

Couldn't the same be said for Joey Graham?

Bargnani should be in the summer league 100%. Guys like Noah and Brandon Wright are playing, so should he.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Andrea needs to get in as much pratice as possible
That man can barely lace his own sneakers let alone play ball
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

When he first got drafted, everybody on this board was accepting the fact that this kid was a project, two years later taking a huge dump on Bargnani seems to be the cool thing to do in this forum. I admit he's far from being the Dirkish player we were all praying he'd turn out to be, but if he can come in off the bench, give quality minutes, he'll still be a bust, yet a reliable asset to the team. He's shown glimpes of what he can do however that has been overshadowed by weak post-play, lack of rebounding and inconsistant play. My point is, sure he's hasn't shown much improvement but if he receives proper coaching in different camps to address his many needs, maybe we can give him the opportunity to become a viable option off the bench and a respectable first overall pick bust. At worst, another team is bound to ask about him.

As for the topic of the thread, this summer Bargnani needs to find anything that could pass-off as an inside game. He's attending a post-player summer camp with a dedicated coach well known to get everything out of his "students". I'd rather have him working out with other guys his size, learning fundamentals and most importantly being constantly coached! That beats playing scrimmage basketball where you can how many fouls? (atleast 8 Graham) .

Speaking of Joey, I think he's there because someone in the organization strongly suggested it to him. It seems to me like Colangelo is either trying to give Graham a chance to showcase himself, he (JG) definitely needs to be a force this summer if he expects to get any playing time (that's another first rounder sitting on the bench). He's our 3rd option at the 3 behind Moon and Kapono. Or maybe, just maybe, Colangelo might be trying to showcase Graham to other teams, finally giving scouts a chance to complete a 9.3 min/game worth of scouting report. All points to Joey Graham not being back next year, so why not try to trade him? If he makes a good impression on anyone, packaging him with either Parker or, yes, Bargnani could land us a legit scorer and defender at SG.

Last edited by pocketWs : 07-15-2008 at 07:28 AM.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Quote:

He doesn't need to play against scrubs, he needs to work out with other bigs, keep himself in the gym, and work out against high level competition.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

Bargnani should be in the summer league 100%. Guys like Noah and Brandon Wright are playing, so should he.

Totally wrong on Bargs.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Bargs was given a very detailed off season plan by management. To his credit, by all account, he is hard worker that gave up his entire summer to basketball without blinking. The kid has his flaws, but he is at least putting in the effort to improve. Hopefully the footwork and boxing out drills will improve his inside game and rebounding. I also have feeling his block numbers will be very solid this year.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtrdff
Totally wrong on Bargs.

Totally disagree. The scrubs that Bargs shouldn't be playing against as you say...some are considerably better then Bargs. You improve by taking what you practive into game situations. You're telling me he wouldn't improve playing against guys like Al Thorton and Brandon Wright? He can practice all he wants like Darko did for years, but unless you play in games it doesn't matter. Doing post up moves against JO will only help so far. He needs to work on those post up moves with 8 other people on the floor.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
Bargs was given a very detailed off season plan by management. To his credit, by all account, he is hard worker that gave up his entire summer to basketball without blinking. The kid has his flaws, but he is at least putting in the effort to improve. Hopefully the footwork and boxing out drills will improve his inside game and rebounding. I also have feeling his block numbers will be very solid this year.
The thing is, practice is one thing, and game situations are another. You can work hard on drills, fitness, weight training, short scrimmages, etc.. all you want, all NBA players do that. It's not easy to take a whole summer off and then just come back and jump into things again, their NBA players so they get paid great money to work hard. I would've liked to see him in summer league to see him getting in some game action. It's only a week right? So there would be plenty of time to get back in the gym and train.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
The thing is, practice is one thing, and game situations are another. You can work hard on drills, fitness, weight training, short scrimmages, etc.. all you want, all NBA players do that. It's not easy to take a whole summer off and then just come back and jump into things again, their NBA players so they get paid great money to work hard. I would've liked to see him in summer league to see him getting in some game action. It's only a week right? So there would be plenty of time to get back in the gym and train.

Normally I would agree more...but Bargnani isn't polishing center skills he has trained all his life on, he is learning the mechanics of an entirely new postion. Practicing half learned (at best) mechanics is going to be less beneficial than intensive training, in a ideal enviroment, that he will not have access to at an other time. The camp he is at is only on for a few weeks, to lose a whole week of that precious time would undo much of the potential benefit. Bargs will get lots of practice, in a much more structured enviroment, in the pre season.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Totally disagree. The scrubs that Bargs shouldn't be playing against as you say...some are considerably better then Bargs. You improve by taking what you practive into game situations. You're telling me he wouldn't improve playing against guys like Al Thorton and Brandon Wright? He can practice all he wants like Darko did for years, but unless you play in games it doesn't matter. Doing post up moves against JO will only help so far. He needs to work on those post up moves with 8 other people on the floor.

a) Bargs needs to get the fundamentals straight. He needs to walk before he can run, I mean come on the kid looked super lost on the court sometimes, clearly needs to improve in practice first, handle the fundamentals about being a big man (hence the camp) and then let him near a court. Also if you dont know any post up moves how are you gonna work with 8 other people in your face. He needs drills.

b) Thorton and Bargs would never really matchup cause Bargs being a 3 doesnt work. Brandan Wright played 1/4 of the minutes Bargs played, THATS why he's in the summer league to get some run because come regular season Wright is sitting on the bench (O'Bryant Syndrome) again because of the Randolph hype and Don Nelson's disgust for anything over 6'7 on that team.

Finally, I remember Colangelo saying Bargs was having off season surgery for a sinus problem that bugged him all year, hopefully the fix will improve him
BrownBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: