Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

Default What kind of contract do you think Bargnani will get?

I guess it could be considered a premature topic, but he's in a contract year and we've yet to hear any type of talk of an extension. Do you think that maybe that means Colangelo has decided that either he improves significantly or he's gonna let him walk?

Next question, being that he's in a contract year do you think that is gonna be a major motivation for him to improve his game?

And final question.. what kind of money do you see him getting offered when his rookie contract expires next summer?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: What kind of contract do you think Bargnani will get?

Whatever contract it is, I hope the Raptors will not be the team giving that to him.

He probably won't get anything less than the MLE like Radmanovic. The most I see him getting is a Darko-like contract simply based on his perceived potential around the league. But he'll be quite a bit older than Darko when he got his contract and will have more NBA minutes too so I don't think he'll have the "potential" tag anymore once his rookie deal is up.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
new noise
madvillain

I have to think that Colangelo is smart enough that he's resigned himself to the fact that if Bargnani doesn't show significant improvement this year, he's done in Toronto. Hopefully the worst case scenario is that overall he plays like garbage again but with flashes of brilliance here and there, giving him at least a little value in a sign & trade.

To be honest I have no idea what to think of Bargnani at this point. You'd like to think the threat of having whatever garbage minutes were left for him taken by a rookie from Australia who's only played organized ball for a few years would be motivation enough for him to get his sh*t together, but given the lack of 'getting it' he showed this past year, I'm genuinely not sure he will.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I just don't think he has much of a future in TO and the JO deal sealed that IMO. Bargnani had trouble getting minutes behind Bosh and Rasho. It's only going to be harder behind Bosh and O'Neal now. The Raptors now appear to be a team that wants to win in the next couple years and there is no time to dick around doing everything possible to fit Bargnani into the lineup.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I just don't think he has much of a future in TO and the JO deal sealed that IMO. Bargnani had trouble getting minutes behind Bosh and Rasho. It's only going to be harder behind Bosh and O'Neal now. The Raptors now appear to be a team that wants to win in the next couple years and there is no time to dick around doing everything possible to fit Bargnani into the lineup.

I still feel like Colangelo made the JO deal with the best of both worlds in mind - ie hopefully O'Neal helps them win now and get to a 50-win team these next couple years, and if Bargnani has figured it out to the point that he's worth a contract, we let 32-year old O'Neal walk when his contract is over and lock up Andrea. Conversely, if Bargnani has still done nothing by that point, they're both gone and the Raptors use that cap money on one or two nice free agents.

Either way, unless JO has helped the Raps to the Conference Finals I doubt they re-sign him at the age of 32 with the kind of free agents that'll be there.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
I still feel like Colangelo made the JO deal with the best of both worlds in mind - ie hopefully O'Neal helps them win now and get to a 50-win team these next couple years, and if Bargnani has figured it out to the point that he's worth a contract, we let 32-year old O'Neal walk when his contract is over and lock up Andrea. Conversely, if Bargnani has still done nothing by that point, they're both gone and the Raptors use that cap money on one or two nice free agents.

Either way, unless JO has helped the Raps to the Conference Finals I doubt they re-sign him at the age of 32 with the kind of free agents that'll be there.

I tend to agree with this. He made this trade with hopes that JO can help them win now, but its also not a huge risk since JO is only under contract for this season.

Where I disagree is the thought that Colangelo would let both walk if we fail to do well in the playoffs this year. I think that one of 2 things would happen or both. First being that Sam Mitchell would probably be fired, and the second that he would probably let JO go and just resign Bargnani because of age and "potential." and not only that, I can see Bargnani having an agent who will ask for something like a 3 year 30 mill contract at least, or something of that nature. But we will see.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 AM   #7
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I tend to agree with this. He made this trade with hopes that JO can help them win now, but its also not a huge risk since JO is only under contract for this season.

Two seasons I believe.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
Two seasons I believe.
I used trade machine on ESPN.com to check, it could be wrong but it said one year.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

JO has two season's left.

If we end up having the #1 pick simply walk out the door at the end of his deal, that will go down as one of the worst picks in NBA history. He needs to be dealt at the earliest sign of positive play. He'll get a freakin' $8-$10 mill deal the way the NBA is going these days and do not be surprised if we're the idiots that give it to him. He'll still be a '7 footer who can shoot'...no matter how irrelevant that is because he sucks.

Even when JO is done in 2 years, Bargs is still a PF and we have Chris Bosh. He never fit with us and fits even less now. Idiotic pick then and still is now.

The raps have been destroyed with terrible recent drafting by our GMs.....Hoffa and Graham/Cvill and then Bargs. Yes Cvill played well his rookie year, but no team is winning anything with that guy getting significant minutes.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

just wrote a whole bargs post, i guess in the wrong spot. but be patient. the kid had one bad year. we were all singing praise after his rookie season.

i do think bc has made a mistake with bargs because he wants it to work so badly for him here. the whole italian connection. trying to convert him to centre is a real mistake. I think he could become a very good forward in this league if he were on a team that had a post type of big man to complement him. he'll actually work well with jo but never work with bosh.

Lots of teams have tried to have two finesse big men who they built around and it usually doesn't work.

But BC still wants to try, otherwise he would have traded AB already. I am positive there are teams out there that would want to give him a try. He would fit with the clippers, the nuggets, philly, utah. Just think of a team with a traditional big he can complement. but a 7 footer with his skill set (not just shooting, but very good quickness) is still very valuable.

My hope is that BC will give it up and he is already planning to do it (recognizing his mistake) but he wants to set bargs up to perform well and improve his trade value first.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
b4ball
Local High School Star

The Raptors will pick up the team option on his contract and have him for two more years.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
JO has two season's left.

In any case, I still don't see 2 years as a big risk. We test it out this season, and if he doesn't pan out, we have an expirer next year to either use as trade bait for a loaded 2010 offseason or a guy we can keep until he expires and have money of our own to spend on a great FA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: