Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Summer League Rookie Zeroes and Heroes

I've been watching the Summer League games on NBATV and there are some surprises and disappointments thus far while some players are just what they are billed to be.

The Heroes:

Anthony Randolph - Golden State Warriors

19 points, 6.3 boards a game

My first impression of this guy was "boy he's skinny", but this guy is wiry strong. He was banging in there with the big boys every chance he got. What really impressed me was his ball handling abilities. He truly handles the ball like a point guard and showed some nifty behind the back dribbles going full speed to juke guards trying to steal the ball from him. He is exactly the kind of player that needs to play alongside Monta Ellis.

Kevin Love - Minnesota Timberwolves

20 points, 15 boards and 2 assists per game (3)

Many had this guy as a bust and questioned McHale's decision to deal Mayo for him, but this guy is look like a beast so far. He's much more athletic and quicker than I thought he was. He showed that he can score in a variety of ways. Love and Jefferson in the front court? Wow.

Donte Green - Houston Rockets

25 points and 4 rebounds

Though I would like to see his rebounding numbers higher, he has really impressed me with the way he can stroke the ball. Possibly the best shot creator in the draft. Had a 40 point game and was on fire from everywhere on the court. Can handle the ball pretty well also. Though comparing him to another Syracuse product, Carmelo Anthony, wouldn't be too far off at this stage, he's definitely Tim Thomas.

Others: Joey Dorsey, Eric Gordon, JJ Hickson, Marreese Speights, Jason Thompson

Zeroes:

Jerryd Bayless - Portland Trailblazers

27 points and 1.3 assists

For a guy that had huge questions regarding his ability to play the point guard position, he has yet to show that he can play that position. His defense has been pretty bad and his shoot first, shoot second mentality makes Iverson look like John Stockton. 1 assist and less than a steal a game? Hardly Arenas type numbers, even in Summer League standards. Will be a role player in the league like a Luther Head, Juan Dixon, Delonte West, or Willie Green.

DJ Augustin - Charlotte Bobcats

19 points and 1 assist

The same goes for Augustin who as a 5'11 point guard, should dish out more than an assist a game. On a team like the Bobcats who have very little passers, this may not bode well for their team. He's looking more like Nate Robinson without the athleticism and speed.

Others: OJ Mayo, Robin Lopez, Darrell Arthur, Javale McGee, DeAndre Jordan
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is popular on this boardbrandonislegend is popular on this boardbrandonislegend is popular on this boardbrandonislegend is popular on this board
Default Re: Summer League Rookie Zeroes and Heroes

i acutally thought bayless and mayo looked REALLY good...they are so smooth and play the game with such ease.

its summer pro league stats dont mean ****.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is complete garbage. No one that watched these summer league games could say that Bayless/Mayo/Jordan/Lopez have been "zeros"
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallGuru08
I've been watching the Summer League games on NBATV and there are some surprises and disappointments thus far while some players are just what they are billed to be.

The Heroes:

Anthony Randolph - Golden State Warriors

19 points, 6.3 boards a game

My first impression of this guy was "boy he's skinny", but this guy is wiry strong. He was banging in there with the big boys every chance he got. What really impressed me was his ball handling abilities. He truly handles the ball like a point guard and showed some nifty behind the back dribbles going full speed to juke guards trying to steal the ball from him. He is exactly the kind of player that needs to play alongside Monta Ellis.

Kevin Love - Minnesota Timberwolves

20 points, 15 boards and 2 assists per game (3)

Many had this guy as a bust and questioned McHale's decision to deal Mayo for him, but this guy is look like a beast so far. He's much more athletic and quicker than I thought he was. He showed that he can score in a variety of ways. Love and Jefferson in the front court? Wow.

Donte Green - Houston Rockets

25 points and 4 rebounds

Though I would like to see his rebounding numbers higher, he has really impressed me with the way he can stroke the ball. Possibly the best shot creator in the draft. Had a 40 point game and was on fire from everywhere on the court. Can handle the ball pretty well also. Though comparing him to another Syracuse product, Carmelo Anthony, wouldn't be too far off at this stage, he's definitely Tim Thomas.

Others: Joey Dorsey, Eric Gordon, JJ Hickson, Marreese Speights, Jason Thompson

Zeroes:

Jerryd Bayless - Portland Trailblazers

27 points and 1.3 assists

For a guy that had huge questions regarding his ability to play the point guard position, he has yet to show that he can play that position. His defense has been pretty bad and his shoot first, shoot second mentality makes Iverson look like John Stockton. 1 assist and less than a steal a game? Hardly Arenas type numbers, even in Summer League standards. Will be a role player in the league like a Luther Head, Juan Dixon, Delonte West, or Willie Green.

DJ Augustin - Charlotte Bobcats

19 points and 1 assist

The same goes for Augustin who as a 5'11 point guard, should dish out more than an assist a game. On a team like the Bobcats who have very little passers, this may not bode well for their team. He's looking more like Nate Robinson without the athleticism and speed.

Others: OJ Mayo, Robin Lopez, Darrell Arthur, Javale McGee, DeAndre Jordan
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE has an OK reputation so far

This is a horrible post.

How is Jerryd Bayless a "zero" when he is averaging nearly 28 ppg?

He hasnt been playing the point, he has been playing the 2 while Koponen plays the majority at the 1.

The coaches asked Bayless to do one thing and one thing only. Score.
KNOW1EDGE is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: