Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #16
babybulls85
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 129
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

@trig

well said, i agree
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #17
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!
 
CelticForce1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rose+Kirk=Verfechters!
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85


The first part is just dumb and you should look around the league for players making 5-10 million dollars then come back to posting.

Also, you speak of leaving money open to go after other players, you don't even know if those players will hit the free agent market and if we do we'd probably have to overpay them to get them on our team cause that's how FA's work.

Deng had an off year and was injured and was still the best player on our team. There is absolutely no way that Nocioni could take over his spot. Nocioni doesn't get the same attention, on offense, by other teams that deng does and if he did he would turn the ball over more than he already does. He can't share the ball as well as deng and if given more minutes he would probably foul out of every game. I like Nocioni, but to say that he could put up the same numbers of deng is just wishful thinking.



Because those weren't the offers, it was 50 mill over 5 for Gordon and slightly below 60 mill over 5 for deng going into this past season.


Overall I don't want to overpay either guy, but I would rather keep deng because he has the potential to be the most well rounded player on our team. If we let Gordon and Deng both walk, there is no telling if we will be able to replace them with new free agents in the future and we could set ourselves far back.




lol. I don't care if you think I am dumb for not wanting to overpay Deng. This inflated concept of how much deng's Basketball abilities are worth just makes your opinion towards my own views pointless and silly.

Okay, let me state first of all that I don't think ANYONE deserves 15 or 20 million dollars a year to play Basketball. Salaries have been out of control for quite some length of time and I think it is time that people come back down to earth.

When I say deng should get paid about 5 million dollars a year and shut up and be happy, I am not basing the number on what 40 other guys get paid that do about the same thing. I am basing the number on the fact that deng is a good Basketball player, or a very good role player on a Basketball team.

This is not Michael Jordon or Larry Bird we are talking about, this is freaking Luol Deng. This is not a franchise player. Deng is not the guy that makes the casual fan watch basketball again. Nobody buys season tickets to see Deng play because they would rather die than miss the chance to see him.

If someone on the Bulls team is going to make 12, 15, 17 million dollars per year I want it to be Dwayne Wade and Amare Stoudemire in 2010. At least those guys are in the category of superstars for todays NBA. That can't happen if the team spends rediculous amounts of money on the current roster.

If the Bulls are going to be forced to spend 12 million dollars per year on deng I would prefer they sign and trade him for Josh Smith. I believe Smith is a better player and he would bring much more excitement to the Bulls. I could justify that based on actual performance and to see the happiness/excitement of the Bulls fans.

The type of exciting Basketball that would would happen between Rose and Smith generates wins, more scheduled television games, more buzz around the league for potential Bulls players to say I want to play with that team, and much more merchandise money.

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 07-23-2008 at 05:13 AM.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 AM   #18
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star
 
CaNt Be ToUcHeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 528
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

i disagree with parts of what trig said, gordon CANT creat his own shot??? WHAT? gordon can score with whoever on him whenever he just doesnt do anything else
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #19
trig
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
i disagree with parts of what trig said, gordon CANT creat his own shot??? WHAT? gordon can score with whoever on him whenever he just doesnt do anything else

no doubt gordon can score because he's a great shooter and has great range. However, bec of his height and his poor ball handling, its easy to guard him on crucial parts of the game. How many times have you seen him get blocked or turn the ball over in the last 2mins of the game. he also rarely drives to the basket unlike in his rookie yr.

In order for them to get 20pts, they need to get 10fgs bec they cant go to the line. Getting to the line affects the game big time. It helps get you into your rhythm and it also gets the other team in foul trouble w/c in turn opens up the lane for everybody.

Last edited by trig : 07-23-2008 at 03:38 AM.
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star
 
Bulls_Fan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,158
Post Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

I really hope Gordon is watching a ton of tapes of Rip Hamilton playing, because that's what he needs to model his offensive game after. Running off a ton of screens, then hitting an open jumper. He doesn't need to be driving when he has the best jumper on the team. Leave that to people that actually know how to finish at the hoop.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
babybulls85
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 129
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Celtic -

Its fine if you think every player in the nba is overpaid, but then if you were GM you wouldn't have a team cause you wouldn't sign anyone. The fact is what other guys in the league make is the market. As for the josh smith trade, josh smith will demand more money than deng and you are assuming atlanta would pull off that trade.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!
 
CelticForce1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rose+Kirk=Verfechters!
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
Celtic -

Its fine if you think every player in the nba is overpaid, but then if you were GM you wouldn't have a team cause you wouldn't sign anyone. The fact is what other guys in the league make is the market. As for the josh smith trade, josh smith will demand more money than deng and you are assuming atlanta would pull off that trade.


A sign and trade with Deng for Smith is as real as it gets dude. This is not some cedric Simmons and a old pair of sneakers for Dwight Howard fantasy crap, this is the real deal.

Both guys play the same position, are perceived to be the same in talent, they are both free agents this summer, they are both unhappy with their current teams, etc. This is real. This deal could happen and it should happen.

Both teams get the piece they need and no longer have to worry about an unhappy player ruining the chemistry or under-performing.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
babybulls85
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 129
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
A sign and trade with Deng for Smith is as real as it gets dude. This is not some cedric Simmons and a old pair of sneakers for Dwight Howard fantasy crap, this is the real deal.

Both guys play the same position, are perceived to be the same in talent, they are both free agents this summer, they are both unhappy with their current teams, etc. This is real. This deal could happen and it should happen.

Both teams get the piece they need and no longer have to worry about an unhappy player ruining the chemistry or under-performing.


How is this as real as it gets, there hasn't been any talk about it. I understand it from our side because Josh Smith is disgruntled and doesn't want to play for the Hawks coach, but you have no idea if the Hawks are even interested in Deng. Even if they are, they are refusing to pay Josh Smith more than 9 million a year so why would they all the sudden want to pay Deng, what he's asking, over 10 million a year? Josh Smith had a better year last year and Deng isn't going to lower his demands.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #24
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!
 
CelticForce1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rose+Kirk=Verfechters!
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
How is this as real as it gets, there hasn't been any talk about it. I understand it from our side because Josh Smith is disgruntled and doesn't want to play for the Hawks coach, but you have no idea if the Hawks are even interested in Deng. Even if they are, they are refusing to pay Josh Smith more than 9 million a year so why would they all the sudden want to pay Deng, what he's asking, over 10 million a year? Josh Smith had a better year last year and Deng isn't going to lower his demands.


I can't believe you need more explanation of this trade idea. You really don't see why both teams would look at it with some serious interest?
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #25
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star
 
Bulls_Fan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,158
Post Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
A sign and trade with Deng for Smith is as real as it gets dude. This is not some cedric Simmons and a old pair of sneakers for Dwight Howard fantasy crap, this is the real deal.

Both guys play the same position, are perceived to be the same in talent, they are both free agents this summer, they are both unhappy with their current teams, etc. This is real. This deal could happen and it should happen.

Both teams get the piece they need and no longer have to worry about an unhappy player ruining the chemistry or under-performing.

Actually, Smith was basically a PF with the Hawks, and I think he could continue to play there for the Bulls.

I think if we offered Deng and Noah, the Hawks would jump all over it. I'm sure they are looking to bolster their bench after losing Childress, who was their 6th man last year. Getting Deng and Noah allows them to to fill two starting spots, let Horford move into his natural PF spot, and move Marvin Williams and his 15 points/game to the bench. This gives them 4 legitimate scoring options with Johnson, Deng, Horford, and Bibby.

The Bulls already have too many players, and I've been saying for a while that we need to consolidate and make a 2 for 1 trade. This gives us the perfect opportunity. If we are truly going to make a push at a FA in the 2010 offseason, it would be better not to sign Deng now and have to worry about giving Noah a new contract that offseason. We can lock in Smith right now, and with him, Rose, and Tyrus (hopefully improved by then), we would have a great situation for somebody like Wade (as so many people are hoping for).

The only problem with this trade is that it leaves us incredibly small in the frontcourt. Aaron Gray will be our only 7-footer, with Gooden following up at 6'10". Smith is 6'9", so are TT and Cedric Simmons. I don't know how I would feel starting the season with Gray at center, but he has really impressed me, and I would definitely give him a chance. He was another guy that really improved over the course of the season.

We could sign Jamaal Magloire, who is only 30, as a backup for the minimum. Maybe Theo Ratliff has another season in him. Has Zo resigned with the Heat? He would be a decent option as well. Depending on how much cap space we have left, we could make an offer for Biedrins, but that would be another long-term deal, which I don't think we need. A couple other names: David Harrison (Pacers), Francisco Elson, even Kwame Brown would be serviceable as a backup. We would only need them to play 10 minutes/game or so, as long as Gray can play for 25-30 minutes. We could go small for part of the game with Gooden at center if need be...that worked this past season.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #26
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter
 
ConanRulesNBC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 8,577
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

I think Deng should just stay with the Bulls this season and try and prove himself again. If he can bounce back from last season it would be great. If he can improve from the second half of the 2006/2007 season he'd turn into an all-star in this league.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #27
final.wrath
Banned
 
final.wrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,732
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

wouldn't you rather have okafor than smith?
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #28
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star
 
Bulls_Fan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,158
Post Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
wouldn't you rather have okafor than smith?

Nope, I would definitely rather have Smith. For one, he can actually stay on the floor for a whole season. They are probably about equal on the defensive end, with Okafor probably having a slight edge in post defense. I would rather have Smith for offensive purposes as well. If Okafor were a 20 ppg scorer, this would be a lot closer, but I think Smith is a better player right now, especially when you consider the health factor.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #29
zadok
I hit open layups
 
zadok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 147
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
wouldn't you rather have okafor than smith?


No way, I'd much rather have smith.
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #30
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!
 
CelticForce1349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rose+Kirk=Verfechters!
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
wouldn't you rather have okafor than smith?


I would like to have both because I want the Bulls to have all the options they can acquire to help the team. However, if I get to choose only one than I pick Smith in a heartbeat without any 2nd thoughts.

Smith is that good.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy