Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 PM   #31
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Just read somewhere Deng is threatening to leave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
Actually, Smith was basically a PF with the Hawks, and I think he could continue to play there for the Bulls.

I think if we offered Deng and Noah, the Hawks would jump all over it. I'm sure they are looking to bolster their bench after losing Childress, who was their 6th man last year. Getting Deng and Noah allows them to to fill two starting spots, let Horford move into his natural PF spot, and move Marvin Williams and his 15 points/game to the bench. This gives them 4 legitimate scoring options with Johnson, Deng, Horford, and Bibby.

The Bulls already have too many players, and I've been saying for a while that we need to consolidate and make a 2 for 1 trade. This gives us the perfect opportunity. If we are truly going to make a push at a FA in the 2010 offseason, it would be better not to sign Deng now and have to worry about giving Noah a new contract that offseason. We can lock in Smith right now, and with him, Rose, and Tyrus (hopefully improved by then), we would have a great situation for somebody like Wade (as so many people are hoping for).

The only problem with this trade is that it leaves us incredibly small in the frontcourt. Aaron Gray will be our only 7-footer, with Gooden following up at 6'10". Smith is 6'9", so are TT and Cedric Simmons. I don't know how I would feel starting the season with Gray at center, but he has really impressed me, and I would definitely give him a chance. He was another guy that really improved over the course of the season.

We could sign Jamaal Magloire, who is only 30, as a backup for the minimum. Maybe Theo Ratliff has another season in him. Has Zo resigned with the Heat? He would be a decent option as well. Depending on how much cap space we have left, we could make an offer for Biedrins, but that would be another long-term deal, which I don't think we need. A couple other names: David Harrison (Pacers), Francisco Elson, even Kwame Brown would be serviceable as a backup. We would only need them to play 10 minutes/game or so, as long as Gray can play for 25-30 minutes. We could go small for part of the game with Gooden at center if need be...that worked this past season.

I don't have a whole lot to add other than I know that Smith was down in Houston last summer and he trained with Hakeem Olajuwon fro about 6 weeks. I assume that is part of the reason for his success playing at the power forward position.

Other than that...I just want to say I couldn't agree more. Excellent post.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: