Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
mln03
I airball my layups

mln03 has an OK reputation so far
Default Okafor vs Dalembert

Who would you rather have on this Sixer squad?
mln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Junny
I air my balls

Junny has decent reputation
Default Re: Okafor vs Dalembert

Don't care who's better, Sammy any time of the day
Junny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sammy JUST because he's a center...and Okafor wants to be a power forward.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
mln03
I airball my layups

I'm tired of dalembert....especially in the playoffs. 2 games double digit points-4 games single digit. He's probably a better shot blocker than okafor, but I'm pretty sure okafor is a better straight up defender in the post. They both can run the floor well. Offensively, i'd rather have okafor. If sammy isn't allowed to get his 3/4 alley-oops per game he becomes a non-factor.
Plus his attitude concerns me. Not just because of the team canada thing, but remember during the year last year he came up with some weird statements about the Sixers/Mo. If I had the chance to...i'd swap them out and wouldn't think twice about it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln03
I'm tired of dalembert....especially in the playoffs. 2 games double digit points-4 games single digit. He's probably a better shot blocker than okafor, but I'm pretty sure okafor is a better straight up defender in the post. They both can run the floor well. Offensively, i'd rather have okafor. If sammy isn't allowed to get his 3/4 alley-oops per game he becomes a non-factor.
Plus his attitude concerns me. Not just because of the team canada thing, but remember during the year last year he came up with some weird statements about the Sixers/Mo. If I had the chance to...i'd swap them out and wouldn't think twice about it.
Okafor is easily the better player...but if I'm picking for THIS team I go Dalembert. Don't want a 6'10" Okafor playing center and 6'8" power forward in Brand with 6'7" Evans coming off the bench. His height and length is helpful to us right now. Plus Okafor wants to play power forward and not center, and that doesn't help us.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Californiafan
I brick open layups

Californiafan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yes, this can be a concern. But until true center comes around who has qualities that match or exceeds Sammy's, he is the best we have. The team doesn't need to weaken itself in that postition with someone undersized. We presently don't have a true backup center (like Calvin Booth) to come in when Sammy is over matched by someone like Shaq.
Californiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
mln03
I airball my layups

How is okafor undersized at 6"10" 255, while sammy is listed at 6'11" 250? (per nba.com)

I think okafor is also smart enough that given the choice of A) being on a playoff team with someone like EB next to him or B) staying on a lame squad while playing PF it would be a no-brainer. Especially if the money was the same. It's not like he didn't play C during college.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
How is okafor undersized at 6"10" 255, while sammy is listed at 6'11" 250? (per nba.com)

I think okafor is also smart enough that given the choice of A) being on a playoff team with someone like EB next to him or B) staying on a lame squad while playing PF it would be a no-brainer. Especially if the money was the same. It's not like he didn't play C during college.
Yeah but he wants to play power forward NOW. There's 6'8" guys that play center in college. Okafor's also more of a halfcourt player. You're not going to see any of this from him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i639wJl91Wc

Okafor would change our style of play. Like I said...for this team I'll take Sammy.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
mln03
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Yeah but he wants to play power forward NOW. There's 6'8" guys that play center in college. Okafor's also more of a halfcourt player. You're not going to see any of this from him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i639wJl91Wc

Okafor would change our style of play. Like I said...for this team I'll take Sammy.

C'mon dude, don't come at me with highlight reel crap. Gerald Green is full of highlight reel stuff, but he can't play. I know you watch them closely, how many times did sammy fumble passes in the paint or just not be in the right position to make a play....LOTS!

Don't get me started with the halfcourt offense either. Teams that can play a halfcourt offense are the teams that win championships. Celtics, Pistons, Spurs not Suns, GSW, Nuggets. So if you really want to win a 'ship, you'd better start becoming efficient in the halfcourt game. Running is fun to watch and will get you in the playoffs, but you'll never win the whole thing on just a running game.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
C'mon dude, don't come at me with highlight reel crap. Gerald Green is full of highlight reel stuff, but he can't play. I know you watch them closely, how many times did sammy fumble passes in the paint or just not be in the right position to make a play....LOTS!

Don't get me started with the halfcourt offense either. Teams that can play a halfcourt offense are the teams that win championships. Celtics, Pistons, Spurs not Suns, GSW, Nuggets. So if you really want to win a 'ship, you'd better start becoming efficient in the halfcourt game. Running is fun to watch and will get you in the playoffs, but you'll never win the whole thing on just a running game.
Of course the half court game wins. But in that case we might as well trade Iguodala for Rip, Young for Tayshaun. The Sixers aren't going to change their identity anytime soon, which is a running team.

Another reason I don't want Okafor is because he's running up his price right now. He doesn't want the 12 mil a year Charlotte is offering, would you give a 13/10/2 guy more than that? I know Dalembert is overpayed but damn.

I also find it a little funny that Okafor played a full 82 games when he knew he had a free agent summer coming up, but played 67 and 26 games in the seasons before. Dalembert's played 82 games 3 of his 6 years, so I'll give it to him.

I know where you're coming from dude. We all get pissed when we see Dalembert throw up a dumb shot or fumble a post entry pass. But he's still cheaper, only a year older, and his numbers aren't that far off from Okafor's even though he was playing on a less than spectacular Bobcats team. I doubt you'll see him fumble too many entry passes this year...because he won't GET any. Why pass the ball to Dalembert in the post when Brand is on the team now?

If we hadn't got Brand, I would have liked to see an Okafor/Dalembert combo as the next best thing. But now that we got Brand we're okay. As long as Dalembert does his job (offensive putbacks, weakside blocks, finishing alley oops, running the floor) then I'm satisfied.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

sammy dddddddddd all day
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
mln03
I airball my layups

I hear you posterize.....
Old 07-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
RickyPryor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RickyPryor has an OK reputation so far

Sam is the 20th best center in the league. We need better; no team will ever win a ring with him as starting 5.

Dump the Dope.
RickyPryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyPryor
Sam is the 20th best center in the league. We need better; no team will ever win a ring with him as starting 5.

Dump the Dope.
20th? Who's the other 19?

Iglauskas
Oden
Bogut
Ming
Howard
Chandler
Duncan
Camby
Okafor
Horford
Miller
Stoudemire
Okur

Those are the guys I have better than him. The bold I think are more power forwards. Chandler is kinda iffy. They're mostly the same. And Oden hasn't played a season yet. Who else you got?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
RickyPryor
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RickyPryor has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Who else you got?

Howard
Camby
Okur