Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far
Default ATL refuses to pay Josh Smith more than 9 mil...

Props to Interminator for the link and info...

Quote:
They reported that Josh Smith has been extended a six-year, $60 million offer from the Hawks. But spies in both camps confirm that this is absolutely, 100 percent NOT true.

In fact, Smith has never been formally offered a cent over $9 million from the Hawks. They’ve only had discussions about where things might go but there’s never been a formal offer at that rate.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...id=blogs_hawks

If this is all true, this should be the final piece of evidence to show Luol Deng that he is not worth more than 10 mil and if he still doesn't get it, I don't see how we can't at least offer them a sign and trade deal...

Not sure how it would work because Deng has that BYC deal but i'd expect it to be Deng + a young, decent filler for Josh Smith + 2nd round pick?

Maybe thats a bad idea, but Smith and Deng are the same age both out of the '04 draft and Smith is far ahead of Deng and he's a player we could really use right now.
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: ATL refuses to pay Josh Smith more than 9 mil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
Props to Interminator for the link and info...

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...id=blogs_hawks

If this is all true, this should be the final piece of evidence to show Luol Deng that he is not worth more than 10 mil and if he still doesn't get it, I don't see how we can't at least offer them a sign and trade deal...

Not sure how it would work because Deng has that BYC deal but i'd expect it to be Deng + a young, decent filler for Josh Smith + 2nd round pick?

Maybe thats a bad idea, but Smith and Deng are the same age both out of the '04 draft and Smith is far ahead of Deng and he's a player we could really use right now.

I have been saying for about a week now the a sign and trade with Deng for Smith is the best idea for both teams. I am glad that there is finally a bit of chatter picking up about this idea.

Come on Bulls fans, this is a great move for our favorite team. Let's continue to buils the buzz and demand for this trade.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Deng13
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Deng13 has an OK reputation so far

that would be sick!! Josh smith is a lock down defender...and his weak side is best to nothing...this would be killer...although josh smith would have to work on his J...which i know he can cause his shot mech is really good. this makes sense for both teams but i dont understand how atlanta would pay deng more than 9 mil....and why deng would agree to it with them. WE can easily offer josh smith who i think is a better player than deng a 53 mil for 5 year deal...

jeez

rose
thabo
josh smith
tt
noah

They all have the potential to become lock down defenders....talk about the future no1 defensive team.
Deng13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deng13
that would be sick!! Josh smith is a lock down defender...and his weak side is best to nothing...this would be killer...although josh smith would have to work on his J...which i know he can cause his shot mech is really good. this makes sense for both teams but i dont understand how atlanta would pay deng more than 9 mil....and why deng would agree to it with them. WE can easily offer josh smith who i think is a better player than deng a 53 mil for 5 year deal...

jeez

rose
thabo
josh smith
tt
noah

They all have the potential to become lock down defenders....talk about the future no1 defensive team.

not to be buzz kill here, but why would Atlanta trade a guy who thinks he is worth 13 million for another guy who thinks he is worth 13 million??
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
babybulls85
I brick open layups

babybulls85 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
not to be buzz kill here, but why would Atlanta trade a guy who thinks he is worth 13 million for another guy who thinks he is worth 13 million??

agreed, the problem with this trade is it only makes sense for us
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #6
CaNt Be ToUcHeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST

Smith doesnt like their Coach Woodson and they aren't willing to pay him more than 9 mil and we are... Deng is BYC so they'd only take in like 6.5 mil or something
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
Deng13

hahah yea thats what i said...but check out this trade....it also sorta looks nice...i wanted to include deng to atlanta for josh smith to chicago but since they have no contract it doesnt show up on their roster....

so basically
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...~4~4&te=&cash=

chicago gives up: Kirk, Deng, and Gooden
Chicago Gets: Josh Smith, Odom, and fisher

Atlanta Gives up: Bibby, Josh smith
Atlanta Gets: Kirk, Deng, Quincy Douby

Sacramento gives up: Artest Quincy
Sacramento gets: Gooden, Ariza

La gives up: Fisher, Odom, Ariza
gets: Bibby and Artest

What do u guys think?? It makes sense for atlanta cause they get a pg a good sf so its fair for josh smith. Chicago gets a pf, sf, and a veteran pg to mentor rose and remain contenders. LA gets to win the championship next year. LA can always throw some draft picks at sacramento to make it fair....

Chicago:
Fisher/Rose
Hughes/Ben/Thabo
Smith/Noce
Odom/TT
Noah/Gray

Atlanta:
Kirk
joe
deng
dont know
horford

LA
Bibby
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum
Old 07-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
CaNt Be ToUcHeD

that is a large confusing trade... do the salaries really work?

and i like everything about that trade for odom, idk why everyone wants him but i dont think hes worth ANY of our young players
Old 07-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
babybulls85
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNt Be ToUcHeD
Smith doesnt like their Coach Woodson and they aren't willing to pay him more than 9 mil and we are... Deng is BYC so they'd only take in like 6.5 mil or something

they're both byc, but the problem is I doubt either team would make that trade happen unless extensions were agreed to.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Deng13

the salaries work as u can see in my trade machine link...yea odom is prolly overrated but he has a nice contract that comes off next year and is better than any big man we have now.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Deng for Smith works quite nicely all by itself, however, if the Hawks need a little incentive to make the deal the Bulls have just the right person.

Jokim Noah would be the guy the Hawks would want and (if we Bulls fans stop kidding ourselves ) we can afford to part with him.

The Hawks prefer to play Al Horford at power forward but in the crucial moments of a game they often move him to center because they don't trust Zaza Pachulia. Zaza doesn't seem to know where to place himself to be helpful in the defensive moment, his footwork is merely average and he is slow.

Noah would not only be re-uniting with Horford from his college days, (good chemistry) he would be the energetic, huslte and rebound defender they crave. The Hawks have so many guys that can put the ball in the basket that they can afford to have this type of center that is mostly just a defense guy.

The Bulls though can not afford to have a center that is merely this type of role-player for the team. I believe the Hawks would do the deal Smith for deng, but if they need the deal sweetened Noah is the guy.

I would be perfectly okay to see Noah go under these circumstances as we get a player that has better defense, brings more excitement, and has more mental toughness than deng. The Hawks get the compensation of deng putting up similar numbers at his best, and the fact that most players play better after leaving the Bulls.

The Bulls can take a 2nd round draft pick from the Hawks which would have two benefits; The Bulls get a 2nd round pick to replace one of the FREAKING THREE they gave away to acquire Omar Asik, someone that wont play for the Bulls for AT LEAST two more years.

The other benefit of this deal is that it keeps another players salary from coming in which leaves more cap room for the Bulls to avoid the luxury tax, and to possibly make a run at another player this summer. This would be crucial along with letting Ben Gordon go to having the funds to make a respectable offer at Okafor.

If not Okafor it could leave room for later in the summer or near the season trade deadline to to absorb the contract of another player that might be what the Bulls need.

This deal is hot, and this deal is should be in demand from every Bulls fan. For those who cry for the loss of Noah it is crucial to be honest with ourselves and realize that he is not going to be a superstar. Noah will be a nice role-player but the Bulls need more than that down in the paint.

Letting Noah go forces the Bulls to be honest about this reality and to create a plan other than wait-and-see who develops and who doesn't. The Bulls already have too many projects on this team and need change that.

Thomas is a project for sure and since the Bulls already gave up Aldridge for him, they might as well see if their hunch was right and see if Tyrus becomes the player they envisioned him to be.

Someone like Nenad Kristic could be signed to a two year deal to cushion the loss of Noah if deemed needed. Kristic will give us a little less defense than Noah but he will put the ball in the basket a bit more. All in all, it works out.

This deal is hot, and this deal is should be in demand from every Bulls fan.

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 07-23-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
babybulls85
I brick open layups

CelticForce, in any of ur posts are u going to address the issue of Deng wanting $60+ million and there being no chance of the hawks giving that to him or are u just going to keep calling the deal hot?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
CelticForce, in any of ur posts are u going to address the issue of Deng wanting $60+ million and there being no chance of the hawks giving that to him or are u just going to keep calling the deal hot?

Still having trouble figuring it out eh? I will give you 3 reasons just for starters.

1) The Hawks management have known for quite some length of time that Mike Woodson ( the head coach) and Josh Smith have been clashing for numerous reasons.

They just re-signed Woodson to a large longterm contract, while they continue to drag their heels and have yet to even make an offer to Smith. Can you guess where the loyalty of the brass is on this one?

2)After seeing the excitement that making the playoffs has given the fans, (those people that have just started to take interest in the team again after years of little interest) and the ticket sales, merchandise money, etc, that they bring, the owner and management want to keep the ball rolling.

They can't afford to have such a young team and have one of their best players questioning the abilities of the coach or creating a distraction to the goal of the team.

3) The Hawks need someone to do what Smith does and are probally looking elsewhere for that person.

A) When Deng is at his best he can put up numbers NEARLY as good as Smith.

B) Many former Bulls players often play better after leaving and that would certainly be considered by the Hawks organization in evaluating Deng's worth to their team.

C) Deng is considered to be a model citizen which is usually valued quite highly and would probally bring positive energy to a team AFTER he leaves the Bulls.

The Hawks can afford to make this change/take this risk because they have money to spare now that Josh Childress just left them today to go play in Greece. As of today their pockets are pretty deep.

Are you starting to see it now homie, or are you just one of those Deng fanatics that doesn't want to lose his favorite player?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Sorry to chime in so late, but why do we want josh smith again? So we can have yet ANOTHER offensively challenged frontcourt player? Seriously, we'd win the title if all that mattered was potential of players in the backcourt becoming scorers and players in the frontcourt being freak athletes. Unfortunately, that's not how you win. Josh Smith, while a better player than Deng, is not better FOR US. Not with our current team. Now if we get rid of other players, and play Josh at the 4....
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Sorry to chime in so late, but why do we want josh smith again? So we can have yet ANOTHER offensively challenged frontcourt player? Seriously, we'd win the title if all that mattered was potential of players in the backcourt becoming scorers and players in the frontcourt being freak athletes. Unfortunately, that's not how you win. Josh Smith, while a better player than Deng, is not better FOR US. Not with our current team. Now if we get rid of other players, and play Josh at the 4....

You are out of your mind. Where are you getting the ideas to say such a thing?

seriously...Smith is only good for us if we "get rid of our players?" We should be looking to make changes to the roster for sure, however, upgrading from Deng to Josh Smith is a great start.

I will take Smith's scoring, defense, hustle, rebounding, shot-blocking, and excitement over Deng's play any day.

What would you suggest the Bulls do right now?

Last edited by CelticForce1349 : 07-23-2008 at 11:36 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: