Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

BrownBaller has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is our guard situation a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Ray Allen was not an all-star or even an all-star reserve until multiple injuries to players that were picked.. If you're gonna tell me Ray played like an all-star all season and playoffs then your anti-raptor blinders are on.

look you made a dumb point, and you got caught, no need to try and senselessly defend. Ray Allen included in the guard lineup of rondo/cassel/house automatically makes it better no matter how sporadic he was from time to time, celtics would not be as good as they were without him period. I sense u have a personal dislike for allen, and even if u dont think he deserved an allstar spot, he was still one of the premier guards in the league, i'd take him over AP (but i'll admit a little bias because Ray is one of my favorite players...JESUS SHUTTLEWORTH).

Also if u wanna stretch it and just genralize it to Boston's perimeter play, as one guy said b4 in this post Paul Peirce, but also Tony Allen and Posey.
BrownBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBaller
look you made a dumb point, and you got caught, no need to try and senselessly defend. Ray Allen included in the guard lineup of rondo/cassel/house automatically makes it better no matter how sporadic he was from time to time, celtics would not be as good as they were without him period. I sense u have a personal dislike for allen, and even if u dont think he deserved an allstar spot, he was still one of the premier guards in the league, i'd take him over AP (but i'll admit a little bias because Ray is one of my favorite players...JESUS SHUTTLEWORTH).

Also if u wanna stretch it and just genralize it to Boston's perimeter play, as one guy said b4 in this post Paul Peirce, but also Tony Allen and Posey.
Generally in order to "get caught' you need to be lying about something. When I opened this thread and thought about guard situation i was thinking more in terms of our pg situation. I'm so sorry it offended you. I beg your forgiveness oh great one.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

Quote:
Generally in order to "get caught' you need to be lying about something. When I opened this thread and thought about guard situation i was thinking more in terms of our pg situation. I'm so sorry it offended you. I beg your forgiveness oh great one.

well the word 'point' would've help. the rest of this post just proves ur ignorance and idiocy.

anyway, yaa i think we are weak at both spots, roko looked ok in international competition (how much are we paying him?), but i mean getting a back up point like a marcus wiliams or brevin knight would of been cheap to get and slightly more experienced, as for SGs I have no idea who we couldve really got that would have been an upgrade over AP because he is pretty solid, just on the wrong side of the age hill.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #19
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
well the word 'point' would've help. the rest of this post just proves ur ignorance and idiocy.

anyway, yaa i think we are weak at both spots, roko looked ok in international competition (how much are we paying him?), but i mean getting a back up point like a marcus wiliams or brevin knight would of been cheap to get and slightly more experienced, as for SGs I have no idea who we couldve really got that would have been an upgrade over AP because he is pretty solid, just on the wrong side of the age hill.
My point was that strong guard play isn't the key to winning. It most certainly helps but i'd rather have the problem of half decent guard play and strong play from the bigs then to have strong guard play and weak bigs.. If you think the opposite of that you're kidding yourself.

And I like how people throw the word ignorance around without even knowing what it means. To say i'm ignorant would be to say that I don't KNOW or am uneducated to the fact that we have weak guard play. I clearly never said that, I just said I'd rather have our problem than strong guard play and weak bigs. So you showed your own idiocy and incoherence in not even knowing how to use the word correctly..
Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
My point was that strong guard play isn't the key to winning. It most certainly helps but i'd rather have the problem of half decent guard play and strong play from the bigs then to have strong guard play and weak bigs.. If you think the opposite of that you're kidding yourself.

I just don't agree. There hasn't been a team that won without great perimiter play. I think to say that strong guard play isn't the key to winning in unbelievable.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #21
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I just don't agree. There hasn't been a team that won without great perimiter play. I think to say that strong guard play isn't the key to winning in unbelievable.
No team in this decade has won without strong play from the bigs either. SA, LA, MIA, DET, BOS.. It's happened before but from what we've seen of this era that same strong guard play was aided by players like Duncan, Shaq, SHeed, Wallace... So at best i'll say it's a combination.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
No team in this decade has won without strong play from the bigs either. SA, LA, MIA, DET, BOS.. It's happened before but from what we've seen of this era that same strong guard play was aided by players like Duncan, Shaq, SHeed, Wallace... So at best i'll say it's a combination.

It can be done with primarily guard play though is what I am saying. For those teams, they all had elite production from their guards to get a title.

Getting back to the point about the Raptos....our guard play is a problem compared to a lot of teams. Our post play will hopefully compensate.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #23
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
It can be done with primarily guard play though is what I am saying. For those teams, they all had elite production from their guards to get a title.

Getting back to the point about the Raptos....our guard play is a problem compared to a lot of teams. Our post play will hopefully compensate.
I do respect your point, and it is a problem. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out since it doesn't seem like we'll be making more changes anytime soon.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

I am very concerned about the back-up SG spot behind Parker.

Kapono is lousy when he plays the 2 and is much better suited to strictly play the 3.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #25
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

Quote:
And I like how people throw the word ignorance around without even knowing what it means. To say i'm ignorant would be to say that I don't KNOW or am uneducated to the fact that we have weak guard play. I clearly never said that, I just said I'd rather have our problem than strong guard play and weak bigs. So you showed your own idiocy and incoherence in not even knowing how to use the word correctly..

ignorant - lack of knowledge, learning, information as in, you forgot to put in "point" infront of guard, so stfu and read a dictionary

and seriously this isnt an english forum its a basketball forum so i can talk about basketball related things however I want and if it hurts your grammar/punctuation feelings then cry me a riverrrrrrrr
Old 07-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #26
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Insightfull post Funk!!!

Every team has weaknesses. We were the envy of the league with our combination of point guards last year and we still flamed out quickly. Beaten by a big in the middle with some shooter on the outside, I'm talkng about Orlando here. So I'm game with changing direction this year. I like that we brought JO over and I think we might get by with the weak wing.

How weak will our wing positional play be and how are other coaches going to exploit that weakness? It's going to be harder to exploit because of JO. The flip side is how will the offense work, will having JO there help or hinder the offense?

It's not going to be the players that make the diference at this point, we have what we have and I don't expect anything else before the start of the season. It's about, how will Sam use what we have to increase our defensiveness and maintain or increase our offense in a divition that has gotten better. This is Sam's year, not the starters or the bench, it's Sam's year to prove to everybody that he has the capacity to develope some offense and defense with a team that is better then any other he has ever coached.

Last edited by b4ball : 07-26-2008 at 01:32 AM.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #27
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
i'd take him over AP

Really? What a shocker.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #28
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

since were pretty solid upfront..

weak field left for back up SGs:

Shannon Brown - inexperienced, not really sure if he can bring anything, MAY have some potential because he's young

Yakhouba Diawara - started some in Denver at one point, more defensive but nothing special

Flip Murray - combo guard i guess, can score in spurts, may good to have to back up both spots?

DerMarr Johnsons - only thing i remember really bout this guy is his giant Orlando blue fur coat...

Von Wafer - No.

Kareem Rush - well we drafted him..seems streaky, but can light it up from time to time

Derek Anderson - old and i think coming off injury..

Fred Jones - yaaaaaaa, no.

Gordan Giricek - may rather play overseas?

Micheal Finley - i don't think anything can be done here...

..HOPEFULLY Hassan Adams will work out, because the FA market looks pretty bleak for backups shooting guards
Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #29
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

im fine with the guard spot only if they play really great defense and not chucking anythinh
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
ignorant - lack of knowledge, learning, information as in, you forgot to put in "point" infront of guard, so stfu and read a dictionary

and seriously this isnt an english forum its a basketball forum so i can talk about basketball related things however I want and if it hurts your grammar/punctuation feelings then cry me a riverrrrrrrr
Again proving you're an idiot. You know how to copy and paste a definition but you don't know anything about application of the word. Get back to me when you pass 5th grade. Until then, i'm done with you.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: