Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #46
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Is our guard situation a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
HbB - Pierce is a forward.

A.M.G - I agree. Read back through my posts, I said it's a combination. But what we are disputing is that RapsFan said he would prefer us to be strong at the guard position and weak/average at the F/C than to be weak/average at the guard position and strong at the F/C to which I strongly disagree.

Well, Pierce plays on the perimiter, which I thought had already been established.

Also, you're now putting words in my mouth to support your opinion. I never said weak/average at any position.

Basically what I am saying is that we'll get destroyed on the perimiter by many teams. I hope that doesn't hurt us too much. Parker is not a good defender. And to minimize Ray Allen that much, to also support your opinion is a bit over the top. He played well enough to make the all star team, he play burtal in the early part of the playoffs but was HUGE in the finals....again, great perimiter play for the celtics.

I also think that a guy like Hump if given 35 mins a night could get a double double. I see little difference b/w him and a guy like David Lee. So, injuries aside, if you could deal Bosh for Wade straight up, a team of Jose, Wade, Moon, Hump and JO would be better then our team will be next year. I am sure that comment will make some of you go off the deep end.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #47
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
Well, Pierce plays on the perimiter, which I thought had already been established.

Also, you're now putting words in my mouth to support your opinion. I never said weak/average at any position.

Basically what I am saying is that we'll get destroyed on the perimiter by many teams. I hope that doesn't hurt us too much. Parker is not a good defender. And to minimize Ray Allen that much, to also support your opinion is a bit over the top. He played well enough to make the all star team, he play burtal in the early part of the playoffs but was HUGE in the finals....again, great perimiter play for the celtics.

I also think that a guy like Hump if given 35 mins a night could get a double double. I see little difference b/w him and a guy like David Lee. So, injuries aside, if you could deal Bosh for Wade straight up, a team of Jose, Wade, Moon, Hump and JO would be better then our team will be next year. I am sure that comment will make some of you go off the deep end.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but JO and Wade together would be one hell of an injury-prone lineup.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #48
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
I'm not saying you're wrong, but JO and Wade together would be one hell of an injury-prone lineup.

As I said, injuries aside. It was a hypothetical.

I think this thread has gotten off track a bit. Is our guard situation a problem? I think it is. To what extent we will find out.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #49
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

We have probably a top 5 PG in the Eastern conference. Ukic I think will be solid backing up Jose, He's a big PG who can also fill in at SG.

Its the SG position were weak at. AP has lost a step and is better suited to come off the bench.

If the Raps make anymore moves this summer, I hope its to shore up the 2 spot. My dream trade would be Bargs, Filler, Filler and a pick for Rip Hamilton.
Can't see that happening though. IMO a lineup with CB4,JO,Jose and Rip would put us ahead of Boston.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM   #50
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

Teams that live on the perimeter, die on the perimeter. It happens to Washington and Phoenix year after year in the playoffs. I'd rather be the team that works on playing solid defense in the paint and grabbing rebounds then the team that wins by shooting the lights out. We don't have to have the greatest perimeter defenders as long as they make an effort to stay in front of their man, and if the man gets past them, Bosh and JO rotate to cover the basket. It is somewhat of a weakness yes, but one i'll gladly take over the roster we put out last year.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #51
RapsFan
Great college starter

Problem is Bosh is not a good defender.

Anyway....I think we are a 2 guard away from being totally legit....title legit. But until we get that we're a first or second round exit at best.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #52
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

A.M.G - I agree. Read back through my posts, I said it's a combination. But what we are disputing is that RapsFan said he would prefer us to be strong at the guard position and weak/average at the F/C than to be weak/average at the guard position and strong at the F/C to which I strongly disagree.

So your saying that Pierce never plays SG ever? or hasn't ever played that position in the NBA?

Pierce is a shooting guard the only reason they have him listed as a small forward is to get him to the All-Star Game and because Ray Allen is on the team!
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #53
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:

So your saying that Pierce never plays SG ever? or hasn't ever played that position in the NBA?

Pierce is a shooting guard the only reason they have him listed as a small forward is to get him to the All-Star Game and because Ray Allen is on the team!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #54
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo

LOL LOL LOL
Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 AM   #55
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

I still really can't see this being the backcourt the Raptors go into the season with, not if there's even a borderline-decent trade to be made. Too many smart basketball people on that staff not to recognize how terrible the team is going to look back there.

I'd gladly trade Bargnani straight up for Jannero Pargo right now and not think twice.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #56
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
I still really can't see this being the backcourt the Raptors go into the season with, not if there's even a borderline-decent trade to be made. Too many smart basketball people on that staff not to recognize how terrible the team is going to look back there.

I'd gladly trade Bargnani straight up for Jannero Pargo right now and not think twice.

wow i think that Bargs is worth more than Jannero Pargo.
I honestly think that the roster is set we just got to give Adams and Ukic a chance.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #57
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
wow i think that Bargs is worth more than Jannero Pargo.
I honestly think that the roster is set we just got to give Adams and Ukic a chance.

Our roster is set. Let's wait and see!! Collective game (offense and defense)could make the things work.
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #58
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise

I think Calderon + Ukic + Adams + Solomon is already better than

Calderon + Ford + Martin + Dixon...

Ukic is suppose to really good, from the management's representation...

Let it Ride!!!!
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #59
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

It's all dependent on Ukic to determine how good our backcourt will be(We already know what Calderon and Parker can bring) ..if he's successful ,then our back court will be fine..Adams and Solomon are going to be little to no factor, barring any injury.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #60
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
I think Calderon + Ukic + Adams + Solomon is already better than

Calderon + Ford + Martin + Dixon...

Ukic is suppose to really good, from the management's representation...

Let it Ride!!!!

I have to say, that is a pretty wild statement in my opinion. There is no way that Jose and 3 guys who either have never played in the NBA or played very little is better then Jose, Ford and Dixon.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: