Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Bargnani #1 Pick worth it?

If we let Bargnani walk and don't bother to sign him or trade him for a low end player he will become the first Euro #1 pick BUST. #1 Picks are suspose to change your WHOLE franchise around and for us to let him just go after his contract or trade him for a low end player .... that is a one of the biggest mistakes made ever. it really is you gotta remember we had the chance to chose other players that we worked out and Colango went with " Potential " which means he KNEW there was a good chance it wouldn't work out, which isnt a smart thing to do with the #1 pick .......... Roy, Lamarcus, Alford, those three players alone everyone know that they were going to be really good ..... but with Bargnani it was a PURE toss up and right now it looks like we made one of the worst decsions ever ( Fact that we knew there were BETTER players we could of had but we didn't take them ) ...... what all yall thoughts ?
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Bargnani #1 Pick worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
If we let Bargnani walk and don't bother to sign him or trade him for a low end player he will become the first Euro #1 pick BUST. #1 Picks are suspose to change your WHOLE franchise around and for us to let him just go after his contract or trade him for a low end player .... that is a one of the biggest mistakes made ever. it really is you gotta remember we had the chance to chose other players that we worked out and Colango went with " Potential " which means he KNEW there was a good chance it wouldn't work out, which isnt a smart thing to do with the #1 pick .......... Roy, Lamarcus, Alford, those three players alone everyone know that they were going to be really good ..... but with Bargnani it was a PURE toss up and right now it looks like we made one of the worst decsions ever ( Fact that we knew there were BETTER players we could of had but we didn't take them ) ...... what all yall thoughts ?

Learn how to read, write and spell, that's what I all yall thought.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
BrownBaller
I airball my layups

BrownBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Learn how to read, write and spell, that's what I all yall thought.

What?

I also agree with the 1st post. I don't think any of the mock drafts really believed Bargs should have been the first pick, they only put him in that slot because they knew the Raptors were overly infatuated with him ("worse kept secret in the NBA" - Steven A. Smith) But I do feel Colangelo was blinded a bit with his vision of the Raptors being a Euro type team. We needed a post player, and Aldridge was right there... I can let go the fact that we didn't pick Roy because I think a lot of people didn't expect him to be as good as he is or how quickly he has developed.

...I still lament the fact of the stupid highschool rule and how the NBA took Oden right from our hands...
BrownBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

Well technically our record the year we got him was a massive imporvment over the year before. So maybe he did dramtically change the Raptors for the better.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #5
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far

Of all the years, we have to get the #1 pick in the worst draft of the decade but at the time, a 7 footer who can shoot 3s n drives imo is worth #1 pick.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

as a full time nuggets fan & a part time raptors fan, i really like bargnani's game- but i do believe he is totally ro*******ed from reaching that "potential" in toronto-

bargnani is NOT a small foreward, and he is NOT a centre, imo the guy is a pf who would have alot of problems defensively at sf or c

i do believe that his trade value is very high, maybe even higher than his value to the raptors winning this year?

i dont think your management is probobly ready to give him up, and i dont think they should- ive seen complete bust in tsiktavilli sp??(skita), who the nugs chose instead of amare- bargnani is a real basketball player who will be a good player in this league for a long time

so dont trade him unless its to the nuggets- in that case what do you see as his value? would you want chucky atkins (expiring contract pg) along with 3 1sts or would klieza (your perfect sf imo) w a pick or so? or the 10 mill trade exemption + 3 1sts for bargnanani and a contract (garbajosa??)

i think bargnani could reach his full potential playing alongside carmelo's low post sf game- imo melo & nene working down low and bargnani & jr smith spreading the court would be the most difficult 2-5 to match up against in the nba-

do the right thing and send him to denver- make my year and take iverson... ok now ive gone too far
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
Of all the years, we have to get the #1 pick in the worst draft of the decade but at the time, a 7 footer who can shoot 3s n drives imo is worth #1 pick.

Well, it wasn't the worst draft of the decade. And he wasn't worth the #1 pick. You think so because he's 7 feet tall and can shoot 3's and drive....all the way to 34% on 3's and 38% FG? Skita anyone?

I would say a 7 footer who can rebound, score on the block and block shots is worth the #1 pick.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
DaveM123
I brick open layups

DaveM123 has an OK reputation so far

What good does this thread do? Hindsight is always 20/20.
You post the question to just stir sh*t up!
I'm not ready to write him off just yet!
DaveM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123
What good does this thread do? Hindsight is always 20/20.
You post the question to just stir sh*t up!
I'm not ready to write him off just yet!

Sorry but I used to watch Bargnani in Euroleague and his is the player I though. He will improve the FG percentatge this season playing more PF, and he can increae the blocks playing alonside to CB4 and O'neal, but he always was a poor rebounder and he will always will. He don't like to play near the basket and I fear that will never do.

So let's improve him in a way to be more useful to the Raptors, but don't pretend to select Dell Curry and pretend that you have David Robinson.
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The recent moves to Europe add another twist to Bargnani's situation. He is obviously not going to get many minutes the next 2 seasons playing behind O'Neal and Bosh so he won't have much of a chance to earn a big contract (not that he'll actually deserve one anyways). So what if a European team offers him $7-8 million per year after his option years are done? I could easily see him leaving. It's just adding another reason why the Raptors should seriously consider trading him unless he looks absolutely spectacular to start the year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

what you just said makes the most sense!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I wonder what we could realistically get for him in a trade. Anyone have some decent proposal ideas....just for us to toss around? Consider team fit for who would be getting Bargs.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:40 AM   #13
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The recent moves to Europe add another twist to Bargnani's situation. He is obviously not going to get many minutes the next 2 seasons playing behind O'Neal and Bosh so he won't have much of a chance to earn a big contract (not that he'll actually deserve one anyways). So what if a European team offers him $7-8 million per year after his option years are done? I could easily see him leaving. It's just adding another reason why the Raptors should seriously consider trading him unless he looks absolutely spectacular to start the year.

Q, Bosh is playing Olympic ball again this year, and will play a lot more this year because the American's are so slim up front. Bosh barely played last year and was hampered through out the season with many injuries including his knee. This will affect Bargnani in a big way this year cause Bosh will need some rest and some time to recover.

Bargnani may have an opportunity to play PF and blow all our doors off with JO in the middle. Optomistic maybe, but Barg's does have game, As far as going anywhere, the way you talk about him I don't think anybody want's to touch him, and thanks for that..
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #14
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I wonder what we could realistically get for him in a trade. Anyone have some decent proposal ideas....just for us to toss around? Consider team fit for who would be getting Bargs.

i really think bargnani's best fit is next to carmelo as a denver nugget- denver SHOULD be an interested team

a guy that could for sure be involved is yakouba diawara, imo a poor mans ron artest at the 2/3- except perfect attitude- would be a s&t

chucky atkins is a proven solid commodity- IS a very good backup pg- has an expiring deal somewhere around 3.5 ish

steven hunter might be a good backup center for you imo- 2 years remaining 4-5 ish per

the guy i would hate for the nugs to give up but i see as maybe the perfect fit for you is linas klieza- the guy is a prototype sf and could break out in the right situation- he also plays the 2 just as well or better, and can play some 4- really i think he is the closest thing denver has to a hidden gem- 1 more year at less than 2 mill, then becomes rfa

for the nugs i would really hope for a trade like diawara, and atkins or hunter and a 1st rd pick or two

if i was looking to trade bargnani from the toronto side, i would jump all over klieza and one or possibly 2 of the others i listed depending if you wanted a 1,2, or 5- i dont know what or if picks should be thrown in??

are any of the denver peices i listed appealing?
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

HalphbreedBaller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub
i really think bargnani's best fit is next to carmelo as a denver nugget- denver SHOULD be an interested team

a guy that could for sure be involved is yakouba diawara, imo a poor mans ron artest at the 2/3- except perfect attitude- would be a s&t

chucky atkins is a proven solid commodity- IS a very good backup pg- has an expiring deal somewhere around 3.5 ish

steven hunter might be a good backup center for you imo- 2 years remaining 4-5 ish per

the guy i would hate for the nugs to give up but i see as maybe the perfect fit for you is linas klieza- the guy is a prototype sf and could break out in the right situation- he also plays the 2 just as well or better, and can play some 4- really i think he is the closest thing denver has to a hidden gem- 1 more year at less than 2 mill, then becomes rfa

for the nugs i would really hope for a trade like diawara, and atkins or hunter and a 1st rd pick or two

if i was looking to trade bargnani from the toronto side, i would jump all over klieza and one or possibly 2 of the others i listed depending if you wanted a 1,2, or 5- i dont know what or if picks should be thrown in??

are any of the denver peices i listed appealing?

linas klieza would be nice...but he doesn't solve our poor perimeter defence...

I think Toronto is staying pat with the fact they want to give AB 1 more year or the first half of the season to get back on track...
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: