Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
nuggzgangsta87
Can barely lace up my sneakers

nuggzgangsta87 has an OK reputation so far
Default Renaldo Balkman To The Nuggz?

Renaldo Balkman to the nuggets for Tauren Green And Bobby Jones

Posted: 7/28/2008 3:19:00 AM
Source: Newsday

Renaldo Balkman's days with the Knicks appear to be numbered.

An NBA front office source familiar with the discussions told Newsday Sunday night that the Knicks are considering trading Balkman to the Denver Nuggets for point guard Taurean Green and small forward Bobby Jones.

The deal was proposed to the Knicks late last week, and both teams are discussing the deal internally.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...,7410321.story

Knicks consider trading Balkman to Nuggets

BY KEN BERGER | ken.berger@newsday.com
July 28, 2008

The Knicks and Nuggets are discussing a trade that would send 2006 first-round pick Renaldo Balkman to Denver for point guard Taurean Green and small forward Bobby Jones, an NBA front-office source told Newsday last night.

The deal would mark the end of Balkman's mostly confusing tenure with the Knicks, who selected him with the 20th pick two years ago when Isiah Thomas said Phoenix would've swiped him if he hadn't. That scenario appears even more dubious now that the former coach of the Suns, Mike D'Antoni, is ready to ship Balkman out for little more than roster fodder.

The deal was proposed late last week and is being discussed internally by both clubs, the front-office official familiar with the situation said. If the two-for-one deal goes through, it would leave the Knicks with 17 players under contract, although Green and Jones - who have non-guaranteed contracts - expect to be waived. It would get the Knicks back to the 15-player roster limit and save them Balkman's $1.32 million against the salary cap.

Green, 23, appeared in only 17 games last season with Portland and Denver but is a ball-moving point guard who could add more competition at the position in training camp if the Knicks can create a roster spot by shedding another body.

The Knicks were high on Green (6- foot, 183) coming out of Florida, and were poised to select him in the second round with Portland's pick, but it ended up not being included in the draft-night trade for Zach Randolph. Portland selected Green and traded him to the Nuggets for Von Wafer. Jones, a 6-7 forward out of Washington, was with six teams last season.

The Knicks are overloaded at small forward with the addition of first-round pick Danilo Gallinari, and Balkman also became expendable because he lacks the savvy and quick decision-making required by D'Antoni's system. But are looking to shave a lot more salary. They are known to be looking to move Randolph's contract, and are involved in other trade discussions with several teams.
nuggzgangsta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Renaldo Balkman To The Nuggz?

If it's only for jones and green, why the hell not. They would never get any playing time anyway.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

KRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat coolKRAYZIE is considered somewhat cool

Balkman is a hustle player and can play defense, kinda like Najera, so I'd do the trade.
He'd be a good back up and a good pick up if that's all we're going to lose in order to get a guy like him.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
dwight20-20
future footer

dwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation heredwight20-20 has an incredible reputation here

yeah i like this because he will bring energy and we're not losing much for him.
dwight20-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
paguy1955
High School Starter

paguy1955 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
If it's only for jones and green, why the hell not. They would never get any playing time anyway.
It is a giveaway. Because after August 15th both Green and Jones were NOT gonna be Nuggets.I don't think the front office was going to guarentee any of those contracts.!
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Brings energy. Don't know about his defense but can can somewhat make up for Najera. Depending on how he plays, he could even do more for us than Eddie did. Hope we get him.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Mile High Crew has an OK reputation so far

He will give us a stronger bench in which I think we have one of the best benches in the league now because of Kleiza, Smith, Andersen, Carter, Jones and now Balkman.

This bench seems high energy to me!
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
paguy1955
High School Starter

paguy1955 has an OK reputation so far

Denver POST:

The Nuggets today acquired forward Renaldo Balkman from the New York Knicks for guard Taurean Green, swingman Bobby Jones and a second-round draft pick in 2010.

Balkman, the 20th overall pick of the 2006 draft, is a defensive-minded player who has averaged 4.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in two NBA seasons.

Itís a move that carries little risk for the Nuggets; Green and Jones had non-guaranteed contracts and were expected to be waived soon.

Denver now has 11 players with guaranteed contracts on its roster. Restricted free-agent guard J.R. Smith likely will return, leaving the Nuggets room to add another veteran at a minimum salary.
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yep, it's official.

http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/nugs...an_072808.html
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

Alright so we got Birdman to replace Camby, Balkman to replace Najera, now all we have left to do is sign us a point guard. Any guesses as to who will get the spot?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Alright so we got Birdman to replace Camby, Balkman to replace Najera, now all we have left to do is sign us a point guard. Any guesses as to who will get the spot?

do you all really believe that we are now A player away from a full roster?

the way i see it is that birdman is a replacement for jamall sampson and balkman is a replacement for yakouba, and d jones is a replacement for b jones

i agree that we still need a point gaurd, but how can anyone not see that we are painfully thin up front? we are imo for sure 1 and probobly 2 nba bigmen short of a full roster

the nets are planning to give away nenad krstic- i really really believe that he would be a GREAT pickup- a great complement to both kmart & nene

i realise that half of the fans here have a longtime following of steven hunter, but can anyone really say that they are comfortable w hunter as the 3rd big guy behind the most injury prone pf/c combo in the league

this roster is a mess and would get very very scary w an injury or 2

are either or both of klieza & balkman being thought of as pf's now- i just cant figure out the plan unless things are just beginning, but it seems like they are close to done reshaping the roster

would anyone even be open to trading hunter & atkins for krstic and signing a guy like pargo and maybe bringing sampson back

on balkman in particular- trading 2 guys that dont get used, it cant be a bad deal- im hoping for the best, but what should we really hope for out of a guy who comes in at the only positions we have filled w quality players- a backup for melo & klieza cant have been that big of a priority could it
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM   #12
tsforthrees
red vines cray

tsforthrees has decent reputation

we need a point guard and a center. the chances we find a quality starter at either of those positions is close to zero. i would love to get okafor but i don't know how we would pull that off, and we don't have many trading pieces.

the way the front office is treating this team, i expect to see kleiza dealt this season. he is gonna be a free agent after the season, and is due for a hefty pay raise. we could use the money we save by letting ai walk to resign him, but for what reason? he's still gonna be stuck behind melo. i'd see if we could use him as a chip to try to pull okafor from charlotte or a point guard from someone.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOwlClub

on balkman in particular- trading 2 guys that dont get used, it cant be a bad deal- im hoping for the best, but what should we really hope for out of a guy who comes in at the only positions we have filled w quality players- a backup for melo & klieza cant have been that big of a priority could it

I said what I said as if that's what the nuggets management was predicting. I realize our frontcourt still needs work, but this is definitely a start. As far as balkman, he, without a doubt in my mind, is almost as exact replica of najera, just a better blocker. He comes off the bench purely for energy and I think he'll get more boards than najera too. That said, najera played the PF position multiple times and I have faith that Balkman could do the same.

I guess I'll just end by saying that knicks fans are not happy with essentially giving Balkman away, so that has to have value to us nuggets fans.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

Quote:
As far as balkman, he, without a doubt in my mind, is almost as exact replica of najera, just a better blocker. He comes off the bench purely for energy and I think he'll get more boards than najera too. That said, najera played the PF position multiple times and I have faith that Balkman could do the same.

najera played pf multiple times???? najera played the pf position ALL OF THE TIME- maybe a couple minutes as a terribly undersized center

balkman plays his minutes at sf , and possibly at sg
Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsforthrees
the way the front office is treating this team, i expect to see kleiza dealt this season. he is gonna be a free agent after the season, and is due for a hefty pay raise. we could use the money we save by letting ai walk to resign him, but for what reason? he's still gonna be stuck behind melo. i'd see if we could use him as a chip to try to pull okafor from charlotte or a point guard from someone.

for what reason do you keep klieza?? to have the perfect 6th man/emergency starter at 3 positions- you dont let good players leave period-

i dont see someone else paying more than 5 ish mill per year- lk for 5 years 25-30 million dollars is a step in the right direction- if it follows a jr smith for 5 years 25-35 million dollar deal its even better

why would you want okafor ar 12 million + per year over klieza at half that?

right as we are getting closer to the end of horrible horrible contracts eatng up too much cap room is seems as if most fans here want to get another one of those contracts???

there is zero chance that in the free agency market that the nuggets could get more value out of 10-12 million dollars than splitting that between jr and klieza- that isnt how free agency works, to get free agents to switch teams you pay k-marts and larry hughes and rashard lewis's superstar money

why all of the intrest in avoiding fixing this horrible cap management?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: