Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #16
Jballer
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,202
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
AP I think will play the main stretches....with Kapono/Ukic moving from other positions to pick up spot minutes. Moon and Graham will split minutes at the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
AP I think will play the main stretches....with Kapono/Ukic moving from other positions to pick up spot minutes. Moon and Graham will split minutes at the three.

Barges/Moon/Graham will split minutes at the three.

Watch ole Sam roll out Barges for a "big" line up to create mis-matches.

1) Gives Barges confidence to play on the top line with the "big two".

1b) Gives Barges a cance to crash some boards from outside and develop his skills in the O - RB knowing the the "big two" are primarily responsible to grab the brick off the glass.

1c) Gives Barges playing time to produce and get in a flow to rotate to the 4 when CB needs a breather.

2) Gives Barges open room to hit the 15 - 20 footer that seems to be his skill point

3) Is a defensive liability unless JO and CB can rotate to help out - but offensively certainly creates a lot of size mis-matches bound to give opposing coaches headaches.

I am not suggesting 43 minutes a game at the 3 for Barges

...but I'll bet a beer he gets 15+ at the 3 spot.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #17
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
 
Qwyjibo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,061
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Bargnani at the 3 is completely pointless.

The main idea with having a big man with Bargnani's perimeter touch is to create mismatches with slower big men guarding him. Putting him at SF totally negates that. The best way to guard Bargnani is with a typical SF that can take away his drives to the basket or quickly crowd him on the perimeter. Then on defense we would have to watch Bargnani guard the likes of Lebron, Carmelo, Pierce, Deng, Prince, Maggette, Jefferson etc. etc. because you can't just stay in a zone the entire time.

The SF minutes should go to Moon and Kapono since both are better players than Bargnani. Graham will get whatever garbage minutes are left over.


To me it looks like:

Calderon -- Ukic -- Solomon
Parker -- Adams -- (Ukic)
Moon -- Kapono -- Graham
Bosh -- (Bargnani) -- Humphries
O'Neal -- Bargnani -- Jawai
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #18
RapsFan
Great college starter
 
RapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,660
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Bargs skill set isn't shooting, considering he shot less then 39% last year. Having him play the 3 would be a disaster. Bosh would be WAY better suited to play the 3 in a big lineup. Also, for Bargs to take advantage of a smaller defender, logically it would be in the post....but you have Bosh and JO already in that area.

I am scared to death of our wings and our backup wings are even worse. If we could trade Bargs for a 2, even moreso then a 3, I think we'd be pretty awesome.

We had the mistake of Tj being redundant due to Jose. Well same goes for Bargs with Bosh and JO and with Hump also a better player for what we need. Deal away the redundant parts for need....deal Bargs for a 2!
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #19
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm
 
RAPSCANWIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a Field of Potatoes
Posts: 916
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

We had the mistake of Tj being redundant due to Jose. Well same goes for Bargs with Bosh and JO and with Hump also a better player for what we need. Deal away the redundant parts for need....deal Bargs for a 2!


The only thing keeping Bargs from being dealt is that he was a #1 pick overall.
If he'd been simply a top ten pick, I believe he'd a been dealt already.

Also....as much as I like AP. I think he slowed considerably in the second half last year. So your idea of trading Bargs for a 2gaurd is right on. IMO.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #20
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

We had the mistake of Tj being redundant due to Jose. Well same goes for Bargs with Bosh and JO and with Hump also a better player for what we need. Deal away the redundant parts for need....deal Bargs for a 2!


I agree, people talk about depth so much that they forget this is not hockey (with 3 line-ups), we need a balanced group of starters that will play over 30~35 minutes!

I think the only problem is we can't get a decent player with Bargs... if we can get a R. Stuckey, D. Gibson, or a Keith Bogans ! I am in!!!!! I'll even take MoPete Back!

Last edited by Sekman : 07-29-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #21
Good Old Willy
DBDs
 
Good Old Willy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: On
Posts: 2,292
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Bargnani at the 3 is completely pointless.

The main idea with having a big man with Bargnani's perimeter touch is to create mismatches with slower big men guarding him. Putting him at SF totally negates that. The best way to guard Bargnani is with a typical SF that can take away his drives to the basket or quickly crowd him on the perimeter. Then on defense we would have to watch Bargnani guard the likes of Lebron, Carmelo, Pierce, Deng, Prince, Maggette, Jefferson etc. etc. because you can't just stay in a zone the entire time.

The SF minutes should go to Moon and Kapono since both are better players than Bargnani. Graham will get whatever garbage minutes are left over.


To me it looks like:

Calderon -- Ukic -- Solomon
Parker -- Adams -- (Ukic)
Moon -- Kapono -- Graham
Bosh -- (Bargnani) -- Humphries
O'Neal -- Bargnani -- Jawai


Bingo.

... and Kapono and Moon start the season interchangably until one steps up.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #22
nerdsunite
Decent playground baller
 
nerdsunite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hali Wood
Posts: 262
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

For everyone pleading for the trade of Bargs, pls do not be too hasty. For the previous poster that stated they would take Bogans or Mo pete back in return you need to take a chill pill and relax. Bargs is a much better player then those players and has more talent in his baby toe. He just needs to adjust his mindset and get the swagger back he had in his first season, stop trying to over power players and play within himself.
nerdsunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #23
new noise
madvillain
 
new noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
I think the only problem is we can't get a decent player with Bargs... if we can get a R. Stuckey, D. Gibson, or a Keith Bogans ! I am in!!!!! I'll even take MoPete Back!

Mo is probably the only one out of that group who'd be a realistic pickup. Stuckey is untouchable, Gibson is terrible, and getting a role player like Bogans in return for a former #1 would be a gigantic admission of defeat for Colangelo.

Mo Pete on the other hand may become the odd man out yet again with the Hornets getting Posey, still having Peja and probably looking to get Julian Wright some decent minutes. Mo wasn't even much better than Rasual Butler this last year. I wouldn't rule out an attempt to bring a familiar face back.

I'd probably trade Bargs and Jamario for Mo and Hilton Armstrong right now.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:20 PM   #24
bballnoob
Decent college freshman
 
bballnoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Moon alone brings more value than those 2 players.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdsunite
For everyone pleading for the trade of Bargs, pls do not be too hasty. For the previous poster that stated they would take Bogans or Mo pete back in return you need to take a chill pill and relax. Bargs is a much better player then those players and has more talent in his baby toe. He just needs to adjust his mindset and get the swagger back he had in his first season, stop trying to over power players and play within himself.


My comment was exaggerated a bit to emphasize my point that Bargs might not have much value.

On the otherhand, I really hope that it is going to be a breakout year for Bargs.

Back to Solomon, can he play PG?
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #26
bonez26
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Bargs will rarely if ever play at the three... they need a young SG to develop behind Parker for next season. Wilson Chandler looked capable in summer league also Morris Almond. Anyways guys like these guys that can be in expensive and resigned down the road. Ronnie Brewer....actually what I was thinking unfortunately we don't have any money left was to bring Reggie Miller out of retirement for a run..b/c he's good friends with Jermaine...but that's just a pipe dream...lol
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #27
Burgz
Banned
 
Burgz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TDOT
Posts: 1,886
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
My comment was exaggerated a bit to emphasize my point that Bargs might not have much value.

On the otherhand, I really hope that it is going to be a breakout year for Bargs.

Back to Solomon, can he play PG?

He couldn't cut it with memphis when he came into the league because he was a (dare i say it) tweener. He was an undersized two-guard, who lacked the lead guard skills and great size for the pg position, let alone the 2-guard. His time in europe, especially with Maccabi, really benefited him, the confidence in his game and his pg skills have improved, but the NBA is a whole different ballgame. Mitch might favour him over Roko as a backup if we get deep in the playoffs, do to his championship pedigree
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #28
Sekman
Great young streetballer
 
Sekman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 525
Default Re: Raptors 13th roster spot filled. Will Solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
He couldn't cut it with memphis when he came into the league because he was a (dare i say it) tweener. He was an undersized two-guard, who lacked the lead guard skills and great size for the pg position, let alone the 2-guard. His time in europe, especially with Maccabi, really benefited him, the confidence in his game and his pg skills have improved, but the NBA is a whole different ballgame. Mitch might favour him over Roko as a backup if we get deep in the playoffs, do to his championship pedigree


good to know... i am sure there will be days when roko or jose might sit out a game coz of injuries (touch wood), we definitely need a third pg... soloman seems as he can play the 2 as well.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy