Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #46
BabyBron23
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BabyBron23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 5 Greatest video games of all time IYO

Top 5

1. Madden
2. Goldeneye - N64
3. No Mercy - N64
4. Tekken 3 - Playstation
5. Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter - NES (they're a tie)

But the madden series as a whole is the best!
BabyBron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #47
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Strider is a great call. I loved that game when I was a kid. I may hook up my Nintendo and play it.

I'm surprised that San Andreas is as well recieved as it is. Not that it wasn't great, but so much of it was tedious. The map had huge voids in it that made getting around more annoying than it needed to be.

But if you follow the storyline, the map takes you along to each area in the proper time. Most of the voids are basically just extra areas to explore and aren't really part of the plot. Yeah, it takes a long time to walk from Barbara's house, to C.J.'s house, but by the time you get that far in the game, you ought to have mastered flying by now.

Quote:
And the eating, working out stuff, seemed to be enough like busy work that it was eliminated in GTA IV.

I guess to a certain extent I can see that, but the eating also gave you limitations, which I thought was reasonable. The working out stuff was buggy. If it had worked out the way it should, it's actually a neat system. Name another video game where your main character can be either a skinny punk, a fatass, or a buff super hero?

Quote:
And the damn seashells too.

Didn't like the seashells? Try getting them when you're still on the first island. Now THAT is fun. Trying to run around and scavenger hunt with 4 police stars? Good times.

Quote:
At the time it was great, but in retrospect, I liked the tighter play and map in Vice City. To each his own.

If Vice City had been created after San Andreas you might be right, but while I can deal with the older graphics of VC, and the pausing upon entering buildings in VC, I can't deal with the horrible controls and the slow movement.

Once San Andras sped things up and added the ability to look around without having to enter "first person mode." it was all over.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 08-11-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #48
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
But if you follow the storyline, the map takes you along to each area in the proper time. Most of the voids are basically just extra areas to explore and aren't really part of the plot. Yeah, it takes a long time to walk from Barbara's house, to C.J.'s house, but by the time you get that far in the game, you ought to have mastered flying by now.

So many of those areas were just vacant and boring though. I'm the kind of guy who searches through every crevice, so all that space that yiedled so little I found a little frustrating after a while.
Again, not that it wasn't great, but a lot of it's "improvements", I just didn't find that usefull.
The gameplay advances that have carried over to Liberty City, combined with what I feel is a better layout, I think has made it really great. The problem I have with IV is that it has less of a time and place feel. The dated music and attire set the tone better in the previous two more than this one seems to. I actually find myself somewhat bothered by the radio in this one.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #49
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Half Life 2
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Chrono Trigger (I can't wait for the DS version!)
5. Super Smash Brothers Brawl- Although I could name a dozen other games to fill this spot that are equally qualified.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
frayed knot
Banned

frayed knot has an OK reputation so far

You know, there's one game that is often overlooked for its impact and innovation. I'd like to mention Rygar.

One of the earliest action/rpg games which introduced several elements still used in today's games. There was a very primitive version of the hookshot/claw grabbing weapon. The background music, I really am a sucker for the synthesized nintendo tunes. There was a valley to traverse in between areas/worlds. Progression of weapons items to prevent player from exploring areas too early. If you don't obtain item X you can't access Area Y. Most of the game is a side scroller, but the overhead works in the same way Dragon warrior did. Some people didn't like it, but it didn't bother me.
frayed knot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #51
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

I love Rygar on the NES!
It was a great adventure game along the same line of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Rygar was pretty good on the Lynx too… I regret to say I have still not tried the PS2 Rygar… its on my backlog of games to try/buy.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #52
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
I love Rygar on the NES!
It was a great adventure game along the same line of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Rygar was pretty good on the Lynx too… I regret to say I have still not tried the PS2 Rygar… its on my backlog of games to try/buy.

Rygar for PS2 is a HUGE disappointment. Poor level structures, slow play, .... just generally bad play altogether. A huge disappointment. This game could have been God of War before GoW, but they dropped the ball big time. You can probably pick up a copy for $5.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #53
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayed knot

I loved this game as a kid..
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #54
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Rygar for PS2 is a HUGE disappointment. Poor level structures, slow play, .... just generally bad play altogether. A huge disappointment. This game could have been God of War before GoW, but they dropped the ball big time. You can probably pick up a copy for $5.

Mathius

Eh, maybe I'll give it a trial play before I commit to keeping it…
Good thing for Game Stops 7 day no questions asked policy…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I loved this game as a kid..

I love this game as a grown up
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #55
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
I love this game as a grown up

..Wish i could get my hands on it!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #56
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
..Wish i could get my hands on it!

An NES emulator and a rom you can easily find somewhere on the Net should do it......
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #57
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
An NES emulator and a rom you can easily find somewhere on the Net should do it......
True!..Haven't thought of that game in years!...think I just might do that.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #58
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

NESplay.com

it's a good site, the controls suck a little though
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: