Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
la bomba
Local High School Star

Default New euroleague proposals,for or against?

The euroleague wants to have 18 permanent teams with the other 6 qualifying.I think this would lead to a more NBA like closed league.I think it would be wrong.It would be a bad thing for competition in the domestic leagues.Money is starting to talk.teams are spending too much and can't afford not to qualify for the euroleague.Would the 18 teams be the best or the most financially equipped?Please Bartomeu think about it.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Re: New euroleague proposals,for or against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
The euroleague wants to have 18 permanent teams with the other 6 qualifying.I think this would lead to a more NBA like closed league.I think it would be wrong.It would be a bad thing for competition in the domestic leagues.Money is starting to talk.teams are spending too much and can't afford not to qualify for the euroleague.Would the 18 teams be the best or the most financially equipped?Please Bartomeu think about it.

totally agreed. i don't like the Euroleague as a closed league.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

my guess is that the euroleague is going to expand to 32 teams. That way the euroleague can have it's crappy team from the western countries and have it's two russian, two Litvak, three greek and two isreali teams.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
my guess is that the euroleague is going to expand to 32 teams. That way the euroleague can have it's crappy team from the western countries and have it's two russian, two Litvak, three greek and two isreali teams.
for me the odd changes in format here and there is ok.like the way they have reduced the regular season this year by changing from 3 groups to 4 groups.but they are changing too quick and not in the right direction,in this particular case.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
simasu01
Decent playground baller

This league should be based on qualifying every year. Maybe every 2. There shouldn't be a single permanent team, whether it's CSKA or Milano, Sopot or Le Mans. If it's 18 permanent, I would guess 5 would be Spanish, 4 Italian, 1 German, 2 French, 2 russian, 1 Serbian, and 3 Greek. Then Lithuanians, Croatians, jews, and the lower teams of the aforementioned countries could qualify. Money is really talking, I wouldn't be surprised if the rich teams like CSKA and Real decided this.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #6
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
This league should be based on qualifying every year. Maybe every 2. There shouldn't be a single permanent team, whether it's CSKA or Milano, Sopot or Le Mans. If it's 18 permanent, I would guess 5 would be Spanish, 4 Italian, 1 German, 2 French, 2 russian, 1 Serbian, and 3 Greek. Then Lithuanians, Croatians, jews, and the lower teams of the aforementioned countries could qualify. Money is really talking, I wouldn't be surprised if the rich teams like CSKA and Real decided this.
I hope you are wrong with the french! 1 would be bad enough but 2!!I can't believe they have 2 at the moment,its pathetic they are nowhere near decent.atleast in the 80's and 90's they had limoges,pau orthez who were good enough to be there.Limoges of course winning it under maljkovic.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
simasu01
Decent playground baller

I hope I am wrong too, but I think they would keep the current teams, and add more, thus resulting in at least 2 French teams. Hopefully this plan doesn't go through at all.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

We also have to think about something that may not be in the near future but could happen. What if the NBA and Euroleague merged? If Europe had a bunch of weak teams it makes that difficult to happen. I would rather keep the quality of both leagues up, we all know that some day they want to have international play as more of a regular thing. I'd like to see each continents best teams.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
We also have to think about something that may not be in the near future but could happen. What if the NBA and Euroleague merged? If Europe had a bunch of weak teams it makes that difficult to happen. I would rather keep the quality of both leagues up, we all know that some day they want to have international play as more of a regular thing. I'd like to see each continents best teams.
I hope foe the sake of basketball that never happens.keep the nba in the US!!and canada I suppose.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
dd24
College superstar

It already did happen, although it's only preseason ball so it's not real competition. I see the day when our best teams compete against your best teams. When the rules can match up and the rest of the world catches up (which with the signings lately) it will be soon, we will see this happen. I can't say it's a bad thing for basketball. Why not let the best in the world compete against the best in the world at all times, no matter where they are signed from?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
simasu01
Decent playground baller

In Europe, basketball is different, especially for the fans, they are more like football fans, while Americans are more like their own football fans. In Europe, if you consider yourself that club's fan, you would go to games wearing team colors, singing the songs, and usually even more, sometimes basketball goes back to politics, good example is Serbia and Croatia. People would probably lose a lot of passion, because they couldn't travel to away games as much, but at the same time, supporting your club against Americans would bring a lot to the game. Rules would really hurt the game, especially the defensive end. However, the NBA would really help the Euroleague's merchandising. At the same time, money would talk even more, so it wouldn't be fair at all to teams like Zalgiris or DKV, teams that have to find other ways to win besides signing top talent, like CSKA or Real. So chances are only the really rich clubs of Europe would survive, which wouldn't be a high number.
http://www.ballineurope.com/european...ubs-in-europe/
According to this, I would say the only clubs that would survive the merger would be: CSKA, Pana, Real, Barca, Olympiakos, Tau Ceramica, Unicaja, and I would guess since these aren't accurate numbers a few more teams, like Montepaschi or Maccabi.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

I don't think all of the Euroleague teams would survive but there is a flip side to that too. There could be NBA teams that wouldn't survive if there was hypothetically a merger.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
la bomba
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think all of the Euroleague teams would survive but there is a flip side to that too. There could be NBA teams that wouldn't survive if there was hypothetically a merger.
it would be a total catastrophe!!!why this obsession with globalising everything.European sport not basketball only is different to american sport,and it differs in ways which make european sport better so why change it.In europe the essence of sport is more pure than in america.In america its all megabucks,no one gets relegated(boring!)In europe there are fairy tale stories where a semi-pro team beats a big team and go far in the competition.or teams like dkv that depend on producing young talent but dont have that much money,they survive because of their produce of young talents,in a world of closed leagues they wouldnt be in it!teams get relegated every game matters right to the very end!why not have two good basketball scenes,stop with the obsession of merging or wanting to compare,the bottom line is they are different games.you either prefer the showbiz and athleticism of the nba with little in the way of competition and a lot of arrogance(boston being world champions !wtf?) or you like the traditional rivalries of the big european clubs,team basketball,upsets,small clubs doing good etc of european basketball.I say leave everything as it is before we spoil it and kill off the true hotbeds of young talent like badalona,belgrade,kaunas etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #14
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
it would be a total catastrophe!!!why this obsession with globalising everything.European sport not basketball only is different to american sport,and it differs in ways which make european sport better so why change it.In europe the essence of sport is more pure than in america.In america its all megabucks,no one gets relegated(boring!)In europe there are fairy tale stories where a semi-pro team beats a big team and go far in the competition.or teams like dkv that depend on producing young talent but dont have that much money,they survive because of their produce of young talents,in a world of closed leagues they wouldnt be in it!teams get relegated every game matters right to the very end!why not have two good basketball scenes,stop with the obsession of merging or wanting to compare,the bottom line is they are different games.you either prefer the showbiz and athleticism of the nba with little in the way of competition and a lot of arrogance(boston being world champions !wtf?) or you like the traditional rivalries of the big european clubs,team basketball,upsets,small clubs doing good etc of european basketball.I say leave everything as it is before we spoil it and kill off the true hotbeds of young talent like badalona,belgrade,kaunas etc.

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 AM   #15
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

Anyone that believes the purity of the euroleague is absolute is wrong. Yeah it's cleaner than the nba because there's no ncaa or David Stern controlling everything.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: