Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
bulls0704
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bulls0704 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official " Let Ben Gordon Walk" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
I think the organization should do everything they can to keep him(except overpay), because as a player, he gets the job done consistently.

When last season was he consistent? The first week they put him as the 6th man he was consistent for a week or so then went back to being incosistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
Clutch Gordon has came through big for us, but if his pride and feelings of overworth continue, he's become more of an obstacle than an asset. This offseason shouldn't be consumed by the demands of two players. One is down, now Reinsdorf and Pax need to work double time to figure Gordon's deal out, or let him walk.

First two seasons he did come through clutch consistently. Last year they relied on him for all the clutch shots and he didn't even get them off half the time because he is short and they just double team him and have him figured out. His clutch factor is almost zero now.

I have no problem with keeping him around but he needs Noc money at the most and should not be a starter.
bulls0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #17
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9
I want BG back but it's such a ****ed up situation at this point, it's tough to even express how I feel. I just read today that his agents the Raymond Brothers think he should be the highest paid player because he has averaged the most points on the Bulls for 3 straight seasons. Well maybe he should be the highest paid if he was ever consistent. I LOVED BG the first 2 seasons with the Bulls. The guy has so a lot of talent, and is truly one of the deadliest shooting/scoring threats in the league when he is on fire. But unfortunately he is streaky as hell and has a major EGO problem. I mean he is definitely undersized out there at his position and most SG's he guards shoot right over him.

I see all you guys want BG to walk but I just can't go along with that. He is our deadliest scorer and we will SEVERELY miss him if he walks in a year, if he takes the qualifying offer this year. I would pay 9-10 a year for him, BUT NO MORE THAN 10 mil. He wants more than 10 for sure, and that is a major problem, hence why isn't signed. If he BG could night in and night out put up a minimum of 20 ppg or hopefully more in the range of 22-25 ppg then i would say give him 11-12 a year, but he hasn't proven himself to be able to do so.

I love BG and I want him a Bull, but this **** is just a mess. I don't know how this drama will conclude, I just hope BG can meet Bulls management in the middle and take a 5-6 year deal worth 9-10 mil a year. If not, then sign and trade, or let him sign the QO and hopefully he has a big year and we can sign him long term next summer if that appears as the right move. If he shows consistency for 82 games in the scoring aspect of the game in 08-09, the Bulls should keep him.

Dengness... I agree with most of our points but here is the question... would you rather have Gordon for 5years or save the $ to sign a true superstar in 2009 or 2010... i.e. Wade, Bosh, Lebron, Amare are all gonna be free agents soon... maybe we get lucky with one of those guys in free agency
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls0704
Seriously man you are the only one that is extra backwards. Maybe Deng is only a role player but he is definitely one thing that Gordon is not. He is consistent when he is healthy. I see Deng being a 20/7-8 guy with Rose. Possibly even a couple more points a game. Gordon is one of the streakiest players ever. One game he will pour in 30-35 points and the next 3 he will put up 12 ppg and 5-6 TO's a game. Deng would consistently get 13-18ppg and 6-8 rebounds. Gordon also was the main reason Hinrich was always in foul trouble. Hinrich would have to try and help him out every time someone would blow by him and get stupid fouls. And that whole pound for pound thing means absolutely nothing. I am sure most people on here would agree you are so far off on this one. It isn't even close Deng > Gordon.

No one said one was better than the other. Deng is consistent and bg can be streaky. But you all who love deng and hate gordon are biased because i dont think either r worth 10mil a yr. Please dont bring up hinrich he just sucks at pg. Deng doesnt have great defense it is decent at best. Gordon can guard ppl his size decently but no he isnt going to lock ne one down but who on the bulls is a lock down defender ughhh no one. You know what it doesnt matter cause if both of them get signed or bg gets traded the bulls will still suck.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
babybulls85
I brick open layups

babybulls85 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwax26
No one said one was better than the other. Deng is consistent and bg can be streaky. But you all who love deng and hate gordon are biased because i dont think either r worth 10mil a yr. Please dont bring up hinrich he just sucks at pg. Deng doesnt have great defense it is decent at best. Gordon can guard ppl his size decently but no he isnt going to lock ne one down but who on the bulls is a lock down defender ughhh no one. You know what it doesnt matter cause if both of them get signed or bg gets traded the bulls will still suck.

The point with Gordon is few people his size play that position and he is more than streaky, he shot 43% from the field this year.

The problem with people like you is that you think you will call everyone in the league overpaid and think that makes you intelligent so that if they don't work out you can say I told you so. However, the NBA salaries rely on a market and to say that Deng isn't worth 10 million on the open market is ridiculous when you look at other contracts that have been signed of late such as Monta Ellis, Bogut, and Okafor.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #20
Undisputed
Devil without a cause

Undisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUndisputed is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
When last season was he consistent? The first week they put him as the 6th man he was consistent for a week or so then went back to being incosistent.

Why do you keep mentioning last season?! Last season was a disaster for EVERYONE on the team. Funny, I thought Gordon still managed to be the teams highest scorer this past season. Gordon consistently does his job.

You can't keep bringing this past season into it because the changes were so drastic. The team stopped responding to Skiles, Skiles was fired, the team was being coaching by Meyers and Boylan....what a great situation for young players(yeah right). Any young team would've had the same fate.

Quote:
First two seasons he did come through clutch consistently. Last year they relied on him for all the clutch shots and he didn't even get them off half the time because he is short and they just double team him and have him figured out. His clutch factor is almost zero now.

The first two seasons were the only seasons he was on a stable season. Like I said above. It's no suprise the Bulls went to their leading scorer last year, but once again, Gordon is no superstar. He scores, and can come in the clutch when everyone else carries their load.

Quote:
I have no problem with keeping him around but he needs Noc money at the most and should not be a starter.

And we agree! Gordon is best coming off the bench, not starting. Larry Hughes is solid enough to start. Gordon is dangerous off the bench. We need a go-to guy for our starting line up. I'm glad to see that we resigned Deng. He may become that guy for us. There's a reason Pax loves this guy. Remember, Pax played along side greatness. He knows greatness. I think they have a plan.
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
Dengness... I agree with most of our points but here is the question... would you rather have Gordon for 5years or save the $ to sign a true superstar in 2009 or 2010... i.e. Wade, Bosh, Lebron, Amare are all gonna be free agents soon... maybe we get lucky with one of those guys in free agency

Dude your right, and I don't have an answer, because I haven't seen BG play without a contract hanging over his head for more than a year now.

This is just the mess I speak of.

You let him walk if he wants to much, but what happens if you can't land a prized big time FA???

It's a dilemma i sure as hell don't have an answer for. I want it resolved ASAP and I fear more and more, day by day that a crappy sign and trade is on the way and we lose our best 3pt shooter/scorer for a less than desirable package.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #22
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: Official " Let Ben Gordon Walk" thread

My feelings on this are simple: If he doesn't want to sign a 3-4 year deal for less than he thinks he is worth, give him the qualifying offer and let him test the market next summer. Just don't give in an give him a long-term deal for more than $8 million/year. He's just not worth it when he has proven time and again that he can't handle the pressure of being a starter or a go-to man in the NBA. He's an excellent shooter, don't get me wrong, but that's all he is, and even if he has the best work ethic in the world, he can never overcome the deficiencies that his lack of height brings. It really is too bad that he isn't two or three inches taller.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
babybulls85
I brick open layups

babybulls85 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
My feelings on this are simple: If he doesn't want to sign a 3-4 year deal for less than he thinks he is worth, give him the qualifying offer and let him test the market next summer. Just don't give in an give him a long-term deal for more than $8 million/year. He's just not worth it when he has proven time and again that he can't handle the pressure of being a starter or a go-to man in the NBA. He's an excellent shooter, don't get me wrong, but that's all he is, and even if he has the best work ethic in the world, he can never overcome the deficiencies that his lack of height brings. It really is too bad that he isn't two or three inches taller.

I agree, though I think I might go a little higher than 8 million a year, but now that we have Deng locked up we can now call his bluff.
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #24
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
I agree, though I think I might go a little higher than 8 million a year, but now that we have Deng locked up we can now call his bluff.

IMO, as long as he is coming off the bench and only providing a scoring punch, there is no way he deserves more than the $7 million/year Posey got from the Hornets. Maybe we offer him a 3 year deal for $6 or $7 million/year, and try to sell him on being a UFA when he is in the prime of his career. He won't get anything better this year, and I doubt anyone will overpay for him next season (maybe the Knicks if Isiah were still there).
Old 07-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #25
drwax26
High School Starter

Quote:
IMO, as long as he is coming off the bench and only providing a scoring punch, there is no way he deserves more than the $7 million/year Posey got from the Hornets. Maybe we offer him a 3 year deal for $6 or $7 million/year, and try to sell him on being a UFA when he is in the prime of his career. He won't get anything better this year, and I doubt anyone will overpay for him next season (maybe the Knicks if Isiah were still there).

Thats the worst comparison. Posey can play good D and hit WIDE OPEN 3's. BG is a scorer posey is not. He should make maybe 8 or 9 mil cause he is a lot like jason terry. Same size, skill level, and height so y not same salary. If Luol Deng is worth over 10mil then bg is worth 8 or 9 mil.Deng got 6yrs 70mil with 10 mill incentive. Give BG 3 yrs 26 mil with a 10mil incentive.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Thats the worst comparison. Posey can play good D and hit WIDE OPEN 3's. BG is a scorer posey is not. He should make maybe 8 or 9 mil cause he is a lot like jason terry. Same size, skill level, and height so y not same salary. If Luol Deng is worth over 10mil then bg is worth 8 or 9 mil.Deng got 6yrs 70mil with 10 mill incentive. Give BG 3 yrs 26 mil with a 10mil incentive.

I wasn't trying to compare them as players, I just meant that if all Gordon is going to do is score and not help the team out with anything else, he doesn't deserve to get paid more than Posey. Besides being a *****, Posey is a great defender who can hit shots as well. They are nowhere near the same player, I agree, but I would argue that on any other team, Posey would be more valuable than Gordon. The reason the Bulls are in a different situation is because they don't have that #1 scorer, so they have to lean on Gordon for a lot of points.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
drwax26
High School Starter

Quote:
I wasn't trying to compare them as players, I just meant that if all Gordon is going to do is score and not help the team out with anything else, he doesn't deserve to get paid more than Posey. Besides being a *****, Posey is a great defender who can hit shots as well. They are nowhere near the same player, I agree, but I would argue that on any other team, Posey would be more valuable than Gordon. The reason the Bulls are in a different situation is because they don't have that #1 scorer, so they have to lean on Gordon for a lot of points.

So if they lean on Gordon for points then u gotta pay him or trade or release him. Beggars can't be choosers. Now BG wants the same deal as Luol Deng. I have a feeling they will have to release him because every team in the league knows the bulls arent going to pay him 70 mil or he will sign the qualifying offer which i doubt happens cause thats $6.4 mill which is less than Noce half of hinrich less than Hughes and about the same as Gooden. The bulls will lose BG for nothing and watch someone pick him up and take off. I could really see him fitting in with a team like Golden State.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #28
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
So if they lean on Gordon for points then u gotta pay him or trade or release him. Beggars can't be choosers. Now BG wants the same deal as Luol Deng. I have a feeling they will have to release him because every team in the league knows the bulls arent going to pay him 70 mil or he will sign the qualifying offer which i doubt happens cause thats $6.4 mill which is less than Noce half of hinrich less than Hughes and about the same as Gooden. The bulls will lose BG for nothing and watch someone pick him up and take off. I could really see him fitting in with a team like Golden State.

The Bulls are gonna release him??? If that was even a possibility, you still would be wrong.

Worst case scenario here is BG signing the QO. He is restricted, so the Bulls are in control of him for atleast one more year. If they can sign and trade him now for something enticing, that would be one route, but I think most likely he will sign the QO to become unrestricted when more teams have money next season.

I mean not one team has even offered him an offer sheet to sign. One team in the entire NBA has money right now, that being Memphis. They are not spending money this summer and that has been known for awhile.

Things can get messy in this situation real fast, and the the QO might be the only option.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #29
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

The problem with him signing a QO is he'll forget about team basketball and just try to shoot for a contract
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #30
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
The problem with him signing a QO is he'll forget about team basketball and just try to shoot for a contract

I have no doubt that Vinnie would bench his ass if he started worrying about personal stats before the team. However, if he does try to shoot for a contract and ends up averaging 25 ppg on 50% shooting, I would be OK with that as well. As long as he doesn't start missing shots and going into the Larry Hughes FG% area, I will be fine with him on the team next season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: