Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #1
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool
Default Will there ever be a totally dominant 7 footer in the L again?

With shaq aging, and the league getting smaller, will we ever see another dominant big body 7 footer? Yao is great, but not the defensive hog he could be, and he doesnt use his size advantage 100%. In the past we have seen greats like Kareem, hakeem, shaq, wilt, Drob, Ewing(yes ewing)etc.... Excel as giagantic players on both ends of the court, but now its seems as if the 5 spot is being took over by oversized power fowards, or centers who are are so offensive minded first, then to slow and tired to get back down the floor. So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts or are the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers the future? Dont get me wrong though i know alot of these young guys are beast on the boards and D as well, it just seems as if the numbers have declined in big men, and their stats.
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Will there ever be a totally dominant 7 footer in the L again?

I might be some time till we see a true giant take over the league like Shaq or Wlit ever did. The overall talent of big men today isn't that great, that's why you see alot of teams taking risks on big men because everyone is looking for the next great big man, but no one is getting lucky. The last team that got lucky was the Spurs with Duncan, after that, it's all gone down hill.

I don't think we will ever see another Shaq, Hakeem or Kareem. These guys were truely magnificent. Today's big men don't have the desire to develop a move like Kareem or use their feet like Hakeem. Today's big men either dunk or shoot 20 foot jumpers and that's pretty much it. I love the big man position, it's my favourite position on the court, but there's no one to get exicted about anymore. Some players show glimpses, but that's about it.

I agree that undersized PF's seem to be the way some team's are going. But right now, it's all about the wingman and the guard and player's wanting to be like Mike. I know it sounds cliche, but it's right and you can see it with the majority of players out there.

I can't wait for the day when a legit 7 footer comes into the league and takes the league and everyone else by storm. Unfortunately though, I don't see that day coming for a very long time.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Quote:
I agree that undersized PF's seem to be the way some team's are going. But right now, it's all about the wingman and the guard and player's wanting to be like Mike. I know it sounds cliche, but it's right and you can see it with the majority of players out there.

I can't wait for the day when a legit 7 footer comes into the league and takes the league and everyone else by storm. Unfortunately though, I don't see that day coming for a very long time.

repped
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I agree. That "next MJ" and "next great SG" thing that the league still tries to promote so much and pretty much any guy smaller than 6'9 pursuits has become really tiring/boring. Players are losing their identities and are discouraged from playing their natural style just in order to follow the market trends. That's why I like the C position. It has few imitators and pretenders. You either have the natural talent to be a dominant big man or you don't. And if you don't, you can't fool people by doing secondary but flashy things well, like Harold Miner or James White or plenty of streetballers who can do nothing in the real basketball world apart from finishing fast breaks in style (as if it counts more if you throw a 720 dunk from the FT line). The easiest way to be a big guy and fool someone is if you're a high schooler and dominate much inferior competition, ala Kwame Brown or if there are some drafts with poor big men crops, but certain teams still pick them, because of their desperate need of a big man.

I'm looking forward to seeing Greg Oden healthy. He could quickly become a double-double chaser.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Pavel Podkolzin is just hitting his prime...
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing Greg Oden healthy. He could quickly become a double-double chaser.

I agree i think he will be good and pull double-double, as Amare and Howard do, but i dont think he will have that big man domniance to him, that scaryness, and complete control of the lane. I hope when he gets his full man body, someone shows him how to use it, maybe the blazers could sign shaq in a couple of years to really teach him how to use his body.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

HAMED EHADADI is the next best Center in the NBA.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This is exactly why people are anxious to see Oden, us older fans want to see a true centre play again, not a PF playing out of position or a big man bombing 3's. This is truly the worst era for bigs.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers

OutOfPlace has an OK reputation so far

Yao Ming is a true center. For some reason people seem to think he's a perimeter oriented big man when he is not.
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

I think that if lebron was a 7 footer he could do it.

This is why i hate Dirk, (this thread)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Collie
Good college starter

Collie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected posterCollie is a pretty well-respected poster

Dwight is probably the closest you would get right now to the dominating center type of player, but he isn't as dominant on the defensive end as guys like Drob and Hakeem. I think if Oden can live up to his potential and hone his game to perfection, he can be a throwback type of center. The best thing about him, IMO, is that he wants to be a center- which is pretty rare in these days of athletic jumpshooting big men- and he has all the physical and mental tools to become a great one.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

I guess we should partly put the blame on the rule changes which favored the SF/SGs more.

No hand checking in the perimeter yet full contact permitted when defending the post? Are you kidding me?

That's why I pity true post up players today like Yao. The league, as it is right now, makes it really hard to be an effective scoring big man, unless you're mobile and can play the pick and roll well.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
rfidd
Can barely lace up my sneakers

rfidd has an OK reputation so far

Is this just a phenomenon of the skill levels getting better? When Wilt started playing he was head and shoulder (literally) above most with a tremendous skill level. Shaq also had good skills for his size. Of course he could not shoot free throws, and still can't but wide and tall and a great finisher.

Now it seems like there is a bunch of guys 6' 10" plus that have skills that rival each other. When and if we see a 7' 6" plus guy with skill levels matching Wilt or Shaq will there be anyone so dominant.
rfidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

fantasy player: a 7'10" monster who dominates like shaq, guards like hakeem, and shoots like dirk with stamina of an iverson.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers

OutOfPlace has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
fantasy player: a 7'10" monster who dominates like shaq, guards like hakeem, and shoots like dirk with stamina of an iverson.

He's called Kenny George. The no.1 pick of the 2009 NBA draft.
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: