Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #31
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Default Re: Will there ever be a totally dominant 7 footer in the L again?

Quote:
The 6'10"-6'11" comment was dumb too.

Hakeem Olajuwon is 6'10"-6'11" by his own admission. Ewing is probably around that height as well, Oden only measured 6'11", Duncan is only 6'10"6-11", Alonzo Mourning is only about 6'10", Bill Russell was only about 6'10".

You don't have to be a legit 7 footer to be a great center.

thats becuase your obviously to stupid to understand it, AND NOT TO MENTION THE FACT YOU TOOK IT OUT OF CONTEXT:

Quote:
So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts or are the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers the future?

was the entire quote, Hakeem is 7' tall, so was ewing

Sure bill russel was 6' 10" and look dumba$$$ at the league he played in, he dominated with size.

ZO? not a legit reference for a great center, read into what the post was about.

TimD: Im pretty sure this guy has been playing the 4 for awhile.

and what about those beside the 4 you did mention?

Kareem, Shaq, Drob, wilt, etccc....

Next you will be refering to George Mikan im sure.....
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #32
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoRadja40
thats becuase your obviously to stupid to understand it, AND NOT TO MENTION THE FACT YOU TOOK IT OUT OF CONTEXT:

You're too stupid to realize that in NBA history we've only had maybe 3 all-star level players over 7 feet and 300 pounds and those were Shaq, Wilt and Yao. Wilt wasn't 300 lbs in his prime either.

Quote:
Hakeem is 7' tall, so was ewing

Argue with Hakeem not me.

Quote:
About the time Olajuwon corrected the world on the spelling of his first name, he also admitted he was closer to 6-10.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B06E3DD153AF93BA35755C0A9629582 60

Hakeem also said he was 6'11" about ten times in his autobiography. Here is one of his quotes.

Quote:
"The first thing I noticed about Shaquille was that he was a lot bigger than I
was. I was 6'11" and weighed about 250 pounds, he was 7'2" and up around 300 --
and still growing!"

Ewing also isn't 7 feet. Him and Mutombo joked about it in an interview a few years ago.

Quote:
MUTOMBO: [Sipping a virgin strawberry daiquiri] I like your restaurant, Yao. It's made for 7-footers and guys like Patrick Ewing, who is really 6'9". [Ewing has always been listed as 7 feet.]

EWING: Hey, I may be 6'9", but I'm a bad 6'9". And what about you? When I first met you, you told me you were from Zaire.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...st_person0314/

Ewing probably is taller than 6'9" but considering he was always about 3 inches shorter than Shaq and Mutombo who are both 7'1", I'd guess Ewing is 6'10" or 6'11" at best.

Quote:
Sure bill russel was 6' 10" and look dumba$$$ at the league he played in, he dominated with size.

The league wasn't that much smaller as KBlaze and Psileas have pointed out numerous times. Players just weren't given the option of listing their height in shoes.

Quote:
ZO? not a legit reference for a great center, read into what the post was about.

How is he not a legit reference?

Quote:
TimD: Im pretty sure this guy has been playing the 4 for awhile.

Nope him and Robinson split time at center and then since D-Rob has retired he's played mostly center.

Quote:
and what about those beside the 4 you did mention?

Kareem, Shaq, Drob, wilt, etccc....

That's just 4.

How about Olajuwon, Russell, Mourning and Ewing?

So four are 7 footers and the other 4 are in the 6'9"-6'11" range.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
fantasy player: a 7'10" monster who dominates like shaq, guards like hakeem, and shoots like dirk with stamina of an iverson.

all that would be ruined if you give them the bball iq of a Steve Francis
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #34
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Quote:
You're too stupid to realize that in NBA history we've only had maybe 3 all-star level players over 7 feet and 300 pounds and those were Shaq, Wilt and Yao. Wilt wasn't 300 lbs in his prime either.

again argueing a point that no one made, a real class-less dumb a$$

Quote:
Argue with Hakeem not me.

It is listed just as many places that he is 7' than it is that he is 6'11" and wtf it is one inch numb nuts, your still missing the point of this thread, and if your statement argue with Hakeem not me then why all the extra *****ing and quotes? just like a real women.

Quote:
Ewing also isn't 7 feet. Him and Mutombo joked about it in an interview a few years ago.

Again, you missing the true concept of the point Ewing was making, he wasnt saying he was exactly 6'9" it was an analogy of the height difference. What a numb nut......

Quote:
The league wasn't that much smaller as KBlaze and Psileas have pointed out numerous times. Players just weren't given the option of listing their height in shoes.

wtf does two other posters thoughts on something that your not completly understanding have to do with anything? Your a d!!p****, So Russel was just naturally gifted, size had no key and he would still dominate with his tall skinnny body today?

Quote:
How is he not a legit reference?

More proof that you dont understand the point of this thread

Quote:
Nope him and Robinson split time at center and then since D-Rob has retired he's played mostly center.

O i geuss thats why they have been playing people like, Rasho, Nazr, Kurt etcc.... there, becuase they have two centers and no PF right?

Quote:
That's just 4.

How about Olajuwon, Russell, Mourning and Ewing?

So four are 7 footers and the other 4 are in the 6'9"-6'11" range.

And that just makes no sense, tell your mom to get her D!!!CK OUT OF your eye so you can see whats really going on.

AND PLEASE MAKE AN EFFORT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, STOP TALKING **** THAT IS OFFTOPIC
Old 07-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #35
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
With shaq aging, and the league getting smaller, will we ever see another dominant big body 7 footer? Yao is great, but not the defensive hog he could be, and he doesnt use his size advantage 100%. In the past we have seen greats like Kareem, hakeem, shaq, wilt, Drob, Ewing(yes ewing)etc.... Excel as giagantic players on both ends of the court, but now its seems as if the 5 spot is being took over by oversized power fowards, or centers who are are so offensive minded first, then to slow and tired to get back down the floor. So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts or are the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers the future? Dont get me wrong though i know alot of these young guys are beast on the boards and D as well, it just seems as if the numbers have declined in big men, and their stats.

i just dont understand the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers point. olajuwon was 250 pounds and about the same height, david robinson is listed on databasebasketball.com as being 7'1 and only 235 pounds (he was very svelt) and ewing as being 240 pounds. now though, amare is 6-10 245 pounds, duncan 6-11 260, dwight 6'11 265 pounds, yao ming is 7'6 310 pounds, bynum 7'0 275 pounds, illgauskas is 7'3 260, kaman 7', 265 pounds... it seems like they are actually bigger now then they were in the 90s era of ewing, olajuwon, etc... plus olajuwon, ewing, robinson, kareem were more finesse players on offense... if anything guys like dwight, bynum, amare and oden coming in are even MORE powerful then the guys listed... and they are of similiar size too... an inch here and there, but generally the guys are heavier now

basically, i think the "decline of the bigman" is greatly exaggerated. if anything, big men are just more athletic, but make no mistake, they are still BIG MEN, they can just move like small ones.

the point of the "So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts" is kinda a weird one. there really havent been too many people who fit that description in the history of the nba. i think speed and athletism in the game is very important, so it may be hard for 300 pounders to find a place... but then again, guys like dwight howard are nearing 270 pounds and can run like deer. previously, people that heavy would be slow lumbering big me. slow lumbering 270 pounders are a thing of the past, but quick fast 270 pounders are now. down the line we will have 300 pounders who can move just as well as these guys.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #36
VanillaThunder
1st Team All NBA

the next dominant 7ft 300 pounder:

Shaq and Lisa Leslies love child

VanillaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #37
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
i just dont understand the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers point. olajuwon was 250 pounds and about the same height, david robinson is listed on databasebasketball.com as being 7'1 and only 235 pounds (he was very svelt) and ewing as being 240 pounds. now though, amare is 6-10 245 pounds, duncan 6-11 260, dwight 6'11 265 pounds, yao ming is 7'6 310 pounds, bynum 7'0 275 pounds, illgauskas is 7'3 260, kaman 7', 265 pounds... it seems like they are actually bigger now then they were in the 90s era of ewing, olajuwon, etc... plus olajuwon, ewing, robinson, kareem were more finesse players on offense... if anything guys like dwight, bynum, amare and oden coming in are even MORE powerful then the guys listed... and they are of similiar size too... an inch here and there, but generally the guys are heavier now

basically, i think the "decline of the bigman" is greatly exaggerated. if anything, big men are just more athletic, but make no mistake, they are still BIG MEN, they can just move like small ones.

the point of the "So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts" is kinda a weird one. there really havent been too many people who fit that description in the history of the nba. i think speed and athletism in the game is very important, so it may be hard for 300 pounders to find a place... but then again, guys like dwight howard are nearing 270 pounds and can run like deer. previously, people that heavy would be slow lumbering big me. slow lumbering 270 pounders are a thing of the past, but quick fast 270 pounders are now. down the line we will have 300 pounders who can move just as well as these guys.

It was a generalized statement about the decline of big post overtaking big men, god dman some of you are like speaking to retarded children, notice everyone else got the point except a select few, i wasnt speaking literally just in a general since, of big post dominating big men... JESUS F'N CHRIST
Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #38
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Hibbert!
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
Collie
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaThunder
the next dominant 7ft 300 pounder:

Shaq and Lisa Leslies love child

Looks like Kwame
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #40
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

lebron could if he grew 3 more inches hed be slower but still be scary
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #41
Collie
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inclinerator
lebron could if he grew 3 more inches hed be slower but still be scary

Nah, LBJ game really isn't a dominant bigman type of game. He doesn't really post up a lot and is pretty perimeter oriented. The closest player I see to a 7-foot LBJ was David Robinson - but he was definitely an inside player and a dominating force on defense as well.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #42
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
again argueing a point that no one made, a real class-less dumb a$$

Coming from someone who thinks Reggie Miller is one of the best players ever.

Quote:
It is listed just as many places that he is 7' than it is that he is 6'11" and wtf it is one inch numb nuts, your still missing the point of this thread, and if your statement argue with Hakeem not me then why all the extra *****ing and quotes? just like a real women.

I don't care what he's listed at. Everyone knows listings are often off. If you were old enough to remember when Hakeem played then you'd know that everyone often joked that he wasn't 7 feet but more like 6'10".

I'll take Hakeem's word on how tall he is. The fact is that he was also pretty slim making him a "slimmer 6'10"-6'11" player" but still a dominant center.

Quote:
Again, you missing the true concept of the point Ewing was making, he wasnt saying he was exactly 6'9" it was an analogy of the height difference. What a numb nut......

Ewing: "Hey I may be 6'9 but I'm a bad 6'9". Either way he's under 7 feet, Mutombo noticed it. Early in his career, up until about 1990 or 1991 he could be called a "slimmer 6'10"-6'11" player" but once again he was a dominant center.

Quote:
wtf does two other posters thoughts on something that your not completly understanding have to do with anything? Your a d!!p****, So Russel was just naturally gifted, size had no key and he would still dominate with his tall skinnny body today?

With his basketball IQ, athleticism and timing, yes he would dominate today. He wasn't much smaller than Hakeem either.

Quote:
More proof that you dont understand the point of this thread

My point was what difference does it make if a center is 7 foot and 300 pounds? Most of the great centers were 6'9"-6'11" and 250-260 pounds.

Quote:
O i geuss thats why they have been playing people like, Rasho, Nazr, Kurt etcc.... there, becuase they have two centers and no PF right?

Kurt Thomas is a PF. Besides the guys you mentioned didn't even play full starter minutes. Duncan has played almost all of his minutes at center the last 2 years as well.

Quote:
And that just makes no sense, tell your mom to get her D!!!CK OUT OF your eye so you can see whats really going on.

It makes sense if your IQ is above 80. My point is that most of the great centers in NBA history weren't 7 feet or 300 pounds.

How old are you seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
The closest player I see to a 7-foot LBJ was David Robinson - but he was definitely an inside player and a dominating force on defense as well.

Robinson wasn't really an inside player on offense. He played mostly in the high post and facing the basket. He liked to drive to the rim or shoot face up jumpers. He also liked to get out on the fastbreak. On defense however he was a dominant inside player.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #43
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Excel as giagantic players on both ends of the court, but now its seems as if the 5 spot is being took over by oversized power fowards, or centers who are are so offensive minded first, then to slow and tired to get back down the floor. So is there future for these 7 foot 300+ beasts or are the slimmer 6'10"-11" scorers the future? Dont get me wrong though i know alot of these young guys are beast on the boards and D as well, it just seems as if the numbers have declined in big men, and their stats.

all i am saying is that i don't agree with this... you say that they are "are so offensive minded first, then to slow and tired to get back down the floor." and then you say "i know alot of these young guys are beast on the boards and D as well". this is slightly contradictory, though i know you are not saying ALL big men are the too slow to get down the floor nor are you saying that all of them can play d. but isnt that the case in all eras? there are always players that slack off on d because of their o. i just dont think that big men are declining. and you dont even mention them having to play in the post in this, your original post. so i went off of what you said.

Quote:
It was a generalized statement about the decline of big post overtaking big men, god dman some of you are like speaking to retarded children, notice everyone else got the point except a select few, i wasnt speaking literally just in a general since, of big post dominating big men... JESUS F'N CHRIST .

your original post didnt even talk about "post overtaking big men" just offensive and defensive dominance... so whats your deal?
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM   #44
Loki
Banned

Dominant in terms of averaging >28 ppg? Not with zone and the fact that they don't officiate interior players like pansies like they do for perimeter players.

You will never see a traditional back-to-the-basket big man (Shaq/Hakeem style) average 27+ ppg again unless they get rid of the zone. Period. And that's sad, because the league has purposely made it so that Jordan clones can succeed and big men won't thrive no matter how talented they are.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #45
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
your original post didnt even talk about "post overtaking big men" just offensive and defensive dominance... so whats your deal?

Isnt that the point and true nature of "Dominant big men" no matter how i worded, you didnt percieve it as how it was meant to be, many did at the begining of this post, those i was speaking to for the good part of the morning, but its not your fault or mine, you answered the question how you saw fit, just answered the wrong one. no biggie.....
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: