Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Should We Sign Josh Smith?

If we do sign Smith Atlanta has the right to match it so it would have to be either a $13 or $14 Million per year contract,somewhere in the range of 6/$84 Million.

A steep price to pay for Smith,but the contract would end when he's 28 and unless he suffers a serious injury he should still be in his Prime when the contract is up.

The Free Agent Class of next summer does not look desireable at all although its said we're going to wait until next summer.

The Big Free Agents Of 2009:
Allen Iverson-He wouldn't come to Memphis,& no reason to sign him
Jason Kidd-He wouldn't come to Memphis,& no reason to sign him
Rasheed Wallace-He possibly would come to Memphis,but there's no reason to sign him
Shawn Marion-A possibility to sign but is Marion worth giving big money to over Smith?

There's other restricted Free Agents but those are the only UFA's that would be worth signing.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Should We Sign Josh Smith?

I think that we should.

Mayo/Gay/Smith is a very good trio to build around for the future since they are 20,21,& 22 respectively.

Smith would be the biggest signing in Grizzlies FA history,and if by signing him it could actually bring fans to the games because they have a team committed to winning.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

It's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well Memphis is the only team with enough cap space. I say why not go for it!!!!
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
The Big Free Agents Of 2009:
Allen Iverson-He wouldn't come to Memphis,& no reason to sign him
Jason Kidd-He wouldn't come to Memphis,& no reason to sign him
Rasheed Wallace-He possibly would come to Memphis,but there's no reason to sign him
Shawn Marion-A possibility to sign but is Marion worth giving big money to over Smith?

That's what I was really concerned about not spending our cash now.

Ellis, Okafor, and now Smith. Though I really prefer Okafor.

The 2010 free agent class, though really deep, might just not be the best scenario for Memphis. A lot of teams have cap room by that time, and some of these big names just doesn't seeme to be the type of guys to come and play for the Grizz.

A lot of players might just use the Grizzlies for leverage and then sign for the big market teams.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
That's what I was really concerned about not spending our cash now.

Ellis, Okafor, and now Smith. Though I really prefer Okafor.

The 2010 free agent class, though really deep, might just not be the best scenario for Memphis. A lot of teams have cap room by that time, and some of these big names just doesn't seeme to be the type of guys to come and play for the Grizz.

A lot of players might just use the Grizzlies for leverage and then sign for the big market teams.
Why wait until 2010 should be the real question.

We're not landing Lebron,Boozer,Melo,Bosh,Wade,etc
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Would love to get smith. But we would have to do a sign and trade to give him as much money as he wants. Plus atl dosent want to trade him. But if we were to trade for him you could throw in two players that way our salary wouldnt be that high. Like maybe warrik and another player.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not really fond of Josh Smith, I wouldn't be happy if we got him, but I wouldn't be sad either.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Would love to get smith. But we would have to do a sign and trade to give him as much money as he wants. Plus atl dosent want to trade him. But if we were to trade for him you could throw in two players that way our salary wouldnt be that high. Like maybe warrik and another player.

I would get him too. Throw in Hakim and The Shimmy, cash if needed.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Not a big fan of Smith but if we did throow the boat at him will the Hawks match?

If I were a hawks fan, I'd be concerned with tying up my cap space to Josh Smith when Joe Johnson will expire in 2010. They have like zero guaranteed salaries due (except rookie contracts) in 2010 and can throw the money to Joe Johnson + any other big free agent.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #10
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

I think we as fans are just getting antsy. Maybe the grizz have a plan already. We just need to sit back and see what happens. Us complaining dosent help matters anymore, ya know
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I think we as fans are just getting antsy. Maybe the grizz have a plan already. We just need to sit back and see what happens. Us complaining dosent help matters anymore, ya know

Unless management pulls off a Gasol-like Artest-ish trade in our favor, I don't see anything good coming to us in free agents.

Damn our GM better do something soon
Old 07-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
Mayo/Gay/Smith is a very good trio to build around for the future since they are 20,21,& 22 respectively.

I'm not a huge Josh Smith fan, but a Conley/Mayo/Gay/Smith core is young, talented, marketable, and only really lacks a solid all-around low-post player. Doubt it would happen though
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Grizzled Mayo has an OK reputation so far

Man what we want j-selfish for The man is a ballhog who can barely score
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Mayo
Man what we want j-selfish for The man is a ballhog who can barely score
He does provide defense and rebounding, something which this team lacks. He is actually a solid rebounder.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I'm not a huge Josh Smith fan, but a Conley/Mayo/Gay/Smith core is young, talented, marketable, and only really lacks a solid all-around low-post player. Doubt it would happen though
Thats where Marc Gasol or Darko depending on who develops first would come in.
Or potentially BJ Mullens.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: