Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Greatest game 7 finals perfomance...

1962, Bill Russell, 30pts, 40 rbs

Don't give me that "different era" crap, where is the heart in todays game?!?
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Greatest game 7 finals perfomance...

Well it was a different era, if someone were to get 40 rebounds today, it would literally be almost every single rebound. But yes, still amazing. I remember watching Bill Russell's Sportcentury, and there was a story about before one of the deciding games of an NBA Finals, Bill Russell got into a bar fight where he got stabbed by a bottle I believe. The next game, Russell's man was just hitting him the whole time where he was stabbed. Celtics still won the game and championship. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thats really an amazing performance that I've never heard anyone else mention, so I'm not sure if its actually true. Anyway, keep in mind that there are alot of notable players that never actually played in a Finals game 7.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Well it was a different era, if someone were to get 40 rebounds today, it would literally be almost every single rebound. But yes, still amazing. I remember watching Bill Russell's Sportcentury, and there was a story about before one of the deciding games of an NBA Finals, Bill Russell got into a bar fight where he got stabbed by a bottle I believe. The next game, Russell's man was just hitting him the whole time where he was stabbed. Celtics still won the game and championship. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thats really an amazing performance that I've never heard anyone else mention, so I'm not sure if its actually true. Anyway, keep in mind that there are alot of notable players that never actually played in a Finals game 7.

Never heard that beore, time for D-Fence to log in.

By the "Different Eras Crap", I mean that there must be a certain desire to win, a desire that goes beyond money. I guess I didn't type what I was truly thinking, it just seems that the desire to win isn't there so much any more, just the desire to make money.

I get sick of these posts saying "(insert name here) isn't satisfied with $75,000,000, he wants $80,000,000". When you earn that much, what is a couple of mil? I just wish players would put everything into the game because they love to play and win, not for their paycheck.

Out of every poster on this board, who would suit up in the NBA for free? I know I would, because it is a matter of pride. What I ommitted from my original post (which was the point of the post) is that I wish more players would play for the love of the game, for the pride of winning, ratther than waiting for payday. Bill Russell had a will to win that goes beyond words. We are in a money-hungry era and it seems that as soon as a player gets payed it is job completed and it makes me sick.

Last edited by Manute for Ever! : 07-31-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
Hakeem's 25/10/7 in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals was better.

The 25 points in '94 would have been about 45 in '62. The 7 assists would have been something around 17-18. He was also facing a much better team with less help than Russell had, which made it more impressive.

Hakeem justifies my point, he played to win, not for payday.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
iamgine

iamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputation

^ well only those who can't make it in the NBA would suit up for free. Those who CAN actually make it won't suit up for free.

But seeing more hearts from the players will surely be nice indeed.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

I hate when people do definite era comparisons. 25/10 would've translated to 50/40 in 1970, put Shaq in 1960 and he averages 78/60. I mean come on, just accept a great accomplishment as a great accomplishment and be done with it. Your opinion of what a player might have done in another era doesn't make it a fact.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
I hate when people do definite era comparisons. 25/10 would've translated to 50/40 in 1970, put Shaq in 1960 and he averages 78/60. I mean come on, just accept a great accomplishment as a great accomplishment and be done with it. Your opinion of what a player might have done in another era doesn't make it a fact.

Exactly. 40rebs is 40rebs
Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Never heard that beore, time for D-Fence to log in.

By the "Different Eras Crap", I mean that there must be a certain desire to win, a desire that goes beyond money. I guess I didn't type what I was truly thinking, it just seems that the desire to win isn't there so much any more, just the desire to make money.

I get sick of these posts saying "(insert name here) isn't satisfied with $75,000,000, he wants $80,000,000". When you earn that much, what is a couple of mil? I just wish players would put everything into the game because they love to play and win, not for their paycheck.

Out of every poster on this board, who would suit up in the NBA for free? I know I would, because it is a matter of pride. What I ommitted from my original post (which was the point of the post) is that I wish more players would play for the love of the game, for the pride of winning, ratther than waiting for payday. Bill Russell had a will to win that goes beyond words. We are in a money-hungry era and it seems that as soon as a player gets payed it is job completed and it makes me sick.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you can blame the players. If the money is out there, they want it, I highly doubt it would've been any different with the players from before. I remember hearing a story that Wilt signed a contract for $300,000/year, which made him the highest paid player in the league. The next year, when Russell was up for a new contract, he wanted to be paid $300,001/year. Bill Russell felt like he was the best player at the time, and he wanted to be paid that way. Players' salary desires are determined by what the market is willing to give them. Seriously, if Magic was playing today, I highly doubt he wouldn't be asking for at least $20 mill/year as well.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you can blame the players. If the money is out there, they want it, I highly doubt it would've been any different with the players from before. I remember hearing a story that Wilt signed a contract for $300,000/year, which made him the highest paid player in the league. The next year, when Russell was up for a new contract, he wanted to be paid $300,001/year. Bill Russell felt like he was the best player at the time, and he wanted to be paid that way. Players' salary desires are determined by what the market is willing to give them. Seriously, if Magic was playing today, I highly doubt he wouldn't be asking for at least $20 mill/year as well.

I remember hearing that straight from the horses mouth, too, so I guess you have a good point
Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
SRZ66
Local High School Star

SRZ66 has no real reputation yet.

lol 40 rebounds. whats that tell you? he was playing agasint a bunch of goofy stiffs.
SRZ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRZ66
lol 40 rebounds. whats that tell you? he was playing agasint a bunch of goofy stiffs.
Dwight's career high is only 26..
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Dwight's career high is only 26..

And there is a complete lack of decent big men now....

Somebody gets it.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 PM   #14
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

How the **** do you get 40 rebounds?
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #15
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
Hakeem's 25/10/7 in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals was better.

The 25 points in '94 would have been about 45 in '62. The 7 assists would have been something around 17-18. He was also facing a much better team with less help than Russell had, which made it more impressive.

how would 7 assists be 17-18 back in 1962? it was actually much harder to get assists back then.

in the 1962 season the average team got 23.9 assists per game on 45.9 field goal made per game- so they assisted on 52% of the field goals

in 1994 the average team got 24.4 assists per game, but on 39.3 fgm per game, so they assisted on 62% of field goals.

they had less assists in 1962, despite making more field goals per game.

stat tracking and the definition of an assist makes it so much easier now. 7 assist in 1994 is probably the equivalent of 4 or 5 in 1962, not 17-18... thats just an absurd statement.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: