Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Greatest game 7 finals perfomance...

Getting 40 rebounds in the D-League isn't the same as getting 40 rebounds in the NBA. That's the type of difference between today's league and the old days. I'm a supporter of that "crap" past basketball.

Edit: BULLS, that was a retarded statement. Shows you know nothing.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbacon23
how would 7 assists be 17-18 back in 1962? it was actually much harder to get assists back then.

in the 1962 season the average team got 23.9 assists per game on 45.9 field goal made per game- so they assisted on 52% of the field goals

in 1994 the average team go 24.4 assists per game, but on 39.3 fgm per game, so they assisted on 62% of field goals.

they had less assists in 1962, despite making more field goals per game.

stat tracking and the definition of an assist makes it so much easier now. 7 assist in 1994 is probably the equivalent of 4 or 5 in 1962, not 17-18... thats just an absurd statement.

It's BULLS, you'll learn soon enough
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
Ok, I've waited long enough. This has to be a joke. James Worthy's 36/16/10 on 68% shooting in Game 7 of the 1988 Finals against the prime Pistons shits on Russell's performance, and is clearly, without any question, the greatest Game 7 performance in Finals history (there haven't been many game sevens). I thought someone would have mentioned it by now, but I guess not. How do you think he earned his nickname?

Forget about what that would translate into back in 1962. 36/16/10 on 68% against the Pistons > 30/40 against a weak Lakers team.

Again, you are backing up my point It is not a competition to find the greatest game 7 from the past, it is to point out that we will not see numbers like these again, performances like these again, because there is no heart in the league anymore. Why sacrifice your body to win a game and possibly miss a pay day?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
Ok, I've waited long enough. This has to be a joke. James Worthy's 36/16/10 on 68% shooting in Game 7 of the 1988 Finals against the prime Pistons shits on Russell's performance, and is clearly, without any question, the greatest Game 7 performance in Finals history (there haven't been many game sevens). I thought someone would have mentioned it by now, but I guess not. How do you think he earned his nickname?

Forget about what that would translate into back in 1962. 36/16/10 on 68% against the Pistons > 30/40 against a weak Lakers team.

And for those who actually care about what Worthy's line would have looked like back in '62, it'd be something around 50/30/20 on 80%.

It isn't even a debate. 1988 James Worthy is the answer.

Hey BULLS, I like how you evaded talking about the destruction that was brought upon you by bacon. How do you do it?
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #22
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Again, you are backing up my point It is not a competition to find the greatest game 7 from the past, it is to point out that we will not see numbers like these again, performances like these again, because there is no heart in the league anymore. Why sacrifice your body to win a game and possibly miss a pay day?

i think thats bs though. did you see alonzo mourning in the heats title clinching game? 8 points 6 boards and 5 blocks in 14 minutes.

how about lebron's 25 points vs the pistons?

how about paul pierce diving on the floor in game 7 vs lebron in the playoffs, or his efforts vs the lakers?

just because someone does not grab 40 rebounds in a game does not mean they arent showing heart.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #23
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
i think thats bs though. did you see alonzo mourning in the heats title clinching game? 8 points 6 boards and 5 blocks in 14 minutes.

how about lebron's 25 points vs the pistons?

how about paul pierce diving on the floor in game 7 vs lebron in the playoffs, or his efforts vs the lakers?

just because someone does not grab 40 rebounds in a game does not mean they arent showing heart.

You're welcome to an opinion, I was just voicing mine. Sure, there definately are exceptions to the rule, but I just don't see franchise players (yes there are a few exceptions) putting it all in as much these days. And BULLS, you continue to be a complete ****tard and missed the point by a mile
Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #25
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
You're welcome to an opinion, I was just voicing mine. Sure, there definately are exceptions to the rule, but I just don't see franchise players (yes there are a few exceptions) putting it all in as much these days. And BULLS, you continue to be a complete ****tard and missed the point by a mile

I think there's alot of exceptions to that rule actually. Lebron, Pierce, KG, Duncan, AI, Shaq, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac are all players that I think have a lot of heart and have given us examples of it in the past.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
gotbacon23
Decent college freshman

gotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this boardgotbacon23 is popular on this board

Quote:

this is true, there are many franchise players that don't seem like they are putting their best foot forward, although i dont think this is the majority of star players- i think it takes putting your best foot forward to even be a star.

in 1962, there were only NINE nba teams. you HAD To bust your a$$ and show heart, or you wouldn't be in the league. and its not like players then had other options like the nbdl, europe, etc. the nba was the only legit place to earn money and only about 108 players could do it (12 players times 9 teams)... now there are 30 teams, 360 active players plus IL,... you are bound to get more lazy bums in the league. if there were 30 teams in 1962 we would probably see a similiar percentage of guys who were in it with all their heart to those who just want the dough. but yes, i agree with you, in terms of sheer numbers, there are more nba players now who don't care.
gotbacon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #27
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I think there's alot of exceptions to that rule actually. Lebron, Pierce, KG, Duncan, AI, Shaq, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac are all players that I think have a lot of heart and have given us examples of it in the past.

Minus Shaq and TMac, they are the guys I had in mind (yes, it is more than a "few", I did use the term loosely).
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #28
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
this is true, there are many franchise players that don't seem like they are putting their best foot forward, although i dont think this is the majority of star players- i think it takes putting your best foot forward to even be a star.

in 1962, there were only NINE nba teams. you HAD To bust your a$$ and show heart, or you wouldn't be in the league. and its not like players then had other options like the nbdl, europe, etc. the nba was the only legit place to earn money and only about 108 players could do it (12 players times 9 teams)... now there are 30 teams, 360 active players plus IL,... you are bound to get more lazy bums in the league. if there were 30 teams in 1962 we would probably see a similiar percentage of guys who were in it with all their heart to those who just want the dough. but yes, i agree with you, in terms of sheer numbers, there are more nba players now who don't care.

You are rapidly becoming one of my favourite posters
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #29
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here

I'll go with James Worthy's game 7 from the '88 Finals.

36 Points, 16 Rebounds, and 10 Assist. That is just amazing.

Not to mention he did this vs the "Bad Boys" Pistons which makes his performance even more impressive.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #30
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRZ66
lol 40 rebounds. whats that tell you? he was playing agasint a bunch of goofy stiffs.
It tells you that he was a great rebounder. People discredit Wilt's 100 all the time by saying that A. he was playing against a bunch of scrubs and B. they were just feeding him the ball trying to hit that number. But what can you really say about a guy who grabs 40 boards? Both teams were missing on purpose and then clearing the paint so he could get all those rebounds? Or people were just that bad at rebounding that he was the only one capable of getting any?
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: