Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #31
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Greatest game 7 finals perfomance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Minus Shaq and TMac, they are the guys I had in mind (yes, it is more than a "few", I did use the term loosely).

Sorry your right. I probably shouldn't have put Shaq and T-Mac in that list, they have shown alot of heart at times, but not alot for their whole career. I'm just saying most of the time, the best players have alot of heart. I highly doubt everyone in the 60s had alot of heart. Just cause Russell did, doesn't mean everyone did. In fact, the great Wilt Chamberlain was criticized for his lack of heart and kiler instinct. I'm not trying to go overkill on this subject, I'm just saying I don't think its much different today, maybe it just seems that way cause sports in general have gotten more complicated with alot more distractions, with the media covering so many different aspects, that you're not going to hear about "heart" as much.
guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #32
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Aw, a finals list MJ can't be on...because he never played a game 7 in the finals.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #34
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
And yet his Finals averages have always blown Russell's away, even when they lost in 2004. For all the "heart" Russell had, he has never had a playoff series 1/2 as impressive as any of Shaq's from the day he put on Laker uniform until 2005.

Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
I hate when people do definite era comparisons. 25/10 would've translated to 50/40 in 1970, put Shaq in 1960 and he averages 78/60. I mean come on, just accept a great accomplishment as a great accomplishment and be done with it. Your opinion of what a player might have done in another era doesn't make it a fact.

I'm probably the oldest....or one of the oldest guys on here, i grew up watching Wilt, Jerry West, Baylor....The great Lakers, Celtics and Knicks teams....and got Pat Riley's autograph when he was a rookie.
I see both sides of this issue. The Huge difference i see between eras is the size and athleticism of the guard and forward positions, back then there were no small forwards who could leap to really contend with Wilt or Russell, the just had to deal with the opposing center, maybe the PF, there is no way you would ever see a PG throwing it down on a center....much less blocking his shot, so yes, rebounds were much easier for Centers then. Not to deny the greatness of Russell or Wilt. Yes Shaq at his size, weight and power would have been banned from the league or jailed for snapping players like twigs. I doubt Shaq could endure the travel/game schedule back then at that weight.
One other thing to look at on this subject is that there was no 3pt line then,
I can only imagine the amount of points West, Baylor, Maravich..etc would have put up.....they had some serious range but only got 2's for it.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM   #37
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ignore the usual idiots and respond to the others.

I agree Russell's 30/40/4 was among the greatest games (7 or whatever) ever. Even adjusted, it would be no worse than around 25/28/4, a game any center would kill for. Also, Worthy's 36/16/10 game has to be mentioned (it did), although Magic should still win Finals' MVP.

What isn't mentioned yet is Walt Frazier's 36/7/19/5 game in 1970 and Jerry West's 42/13/12 in 1969, hands down the greatest game 7 any player of a losing team ever had.
Psileas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #38
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Hey DKLaker and Psileas, have either one of you heard of this:

I remember watching Bill Russell's Sportcentury, and there was a story about before one of the deciding games of an NBA Finals, Bill Russell got into a bar fight where he got stabbed by a bottle I believe. The next game, Russell's man was just hitting him the whole time where he was stabbed. Celtics still won the game and championship. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thats really an amazing performance that I've never heard anyone else mention, so I'm not sure if its actually true.
guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #39
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1987_Lakers is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bill Russell use to throw up in the locker room before every game.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #40
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Hey DKLaker and Psileas, have either one of you heard of this:

I remember watching Bill Russell's Sportcentury, and there was a story about before one of the deciding games of an NBA Finals, Bill Russell got into a bar fight where he got stabbed by a bottle I believe. The next game, Russell's man was just hitting him the whole time where he was stabbed. Celtics still won the game and championship. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thats really an amazing performance that I've never heard anyone else mention, so I'm not sure if its actually true

No, I don't remember this story. But it's interesting, anyway. Do you know the season they referred to, just to give it a check?

I do know that Russell was once severely poked in the eye by Jerry West (I think it was 1965, game 5), but he continued playing an finished with 25 pts, 32 rebounds and the championship.

Quote:
Bill Russell use to throw up in the locker room before every game.

Yes, that's known. He was a little too obsessed and nervous about winning.
Psileas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #41
TmacsRockets
Banned

TmacsRockets has an OK reputation so far

When you can get more rebounds than points in a game then it shows how much easier it is to get a rebound.

Greatest game 7 was Fraziers 36 and 19.
TmacsRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:09 AM   #42
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers

OutOfPlace has an OK reputation so far

NO 60's performance should be in the discussion for the "greatest game 7 performance ever".

Bill Russell wouldn't even make an NBA roster today. He wouldn't get 40 rebounds in a pick up game.
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: