Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #16
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: NBA MatchUp: Prime Shaq > (Any Player You Insert)

Quote:
Prime Shaquille O'neal is greater than any player you insert. Period. Point blank. Some such as Prime Michael Jordan, Prime Charles Barkley, Prime Hakeem Olajuwon, Prime Wilt Chamberlain, and Prime Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are the only ones who would come close to beating the Diesel in his Prime. I personally think Prime Michael Jordan, Prime Hakeem Olajuwon and Prime Charles Barkley would be Prime Shaq's most difficult matchup. Please convince me other-wise. If you feel anyone (even from those I mentioned) would beat Prime Shaq, describe how.

For the record, it could be argued that Shaq's prime was here in Orlando, athletically.

Most people don't believe that even prime Shaq was the greatest player ever and you did nothing to try to convince them that he is. So why should the majority try to convince you about the opposite?
Psileas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Prime Jordan >>>>>>> Prime Shaq
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #18
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
Most people don't believe that even prime Shaq was the greatest player ever and you did nothing to try to convince them that he is. So why should the majority try to convince you about the opposite?

You must not have seen this (but it's ok):
My Reasoning:
Mostly everyone listed, their game is based upon shooting from the outside, mid-range, and dribble penetration (which you could scratch because there will be no taking Shaq to the hole on a consistent basis)so the % of them making enough shots to beat Prime Shaq are very low. Shaq's game is based upon power and a back to the basket game (save his "Black Tornado" move) so I'll go w/ the chances of them being able to stop Prime Shaq as minimal.

Prime Charles Barkley is the prime candidate to give Prime Shaq fits due to his strength, speed, and shooting ability.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
AllenIverson3
Get off me!

wut about prime Tim Duncan his numbers might not show it little bit but he can dominate the post just like Shaq and he can defend in the post too!
AllenIverson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #20
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenIverson3
wut about prime Tim Duncan his numbers might not show it little bit but he can dominate the post just like Shaq and he can defend in the post too!

That would be an awesome matchup. Great choice.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #21
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
I think you meant Agreed, including Jordan.
If not, explain how Jordan would win, please.

Jordan would give you equal or comparable production, and was more capable of having a big game on call when you needed it. He was also able to create his own offense (i.e., he didn't rely on others getting him the ball) and was not a liability in games down the stretch; he was, in fact, one of the two greatest 4th quarter players in history at the very least.

So yeah, I take prime Jordan ('90-'93) over prime Shaq to win a playoff series.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #22
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers

Shaq in his prime > every other player including Wilt "the stiff" Chamberlain and Bill "midgetized Marcus Camby" Russell.
OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM   #23
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Jordan would give you equal or comparable production, and was more capable of having a big game on call when you needed it. He was also able to create his own offense (i.e., he didn't rely on others getting him the ball) and was not a liability in games down the stretch; he was, in fact, one of the two greatest 4th quarter players in history at the very least.

It really is hard for me to not choose Air Jordan but...we're talking Shaq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlace
Shaq in his prime > every other player including Wilt "the stiff" Chamberlain and Bill "midgetized Marcus Camby" Russell.

Agreed. Whether it's starting a franchise OR anyone versus Prime Shaq 1 on 1, Prime Shaq is > than every player and the sad thing about it is, he wasn't as dominant as he could have been due to him being so used to being unstoppable, he didn't completely have the desire to destroy the record books like he should've.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:25 AM   #24
rawimpact
Banned

I came out of posting-retirement to say Shaq > ALL.

Check out his solid playoff numbers! Honestly, this guy is the most skilled basketball player at his size (weight & height) the nba has ever seen. He has done 360 dunk (maybe not during an official game, but still an allstar one), he has crossed over a few (man was that funny...) and has led the lakers to multiple championships.

I believe this is the most skilled player in the NBA for having to move 60-100 pound limbs as fast as he could. He took heavier hits then anyone, ask brad miller.

I dont even want to go into his personality and how good of image he was for the NBA. He helped the NBA draw in publicity like crazy, recall that dance contest? This guy is dancing with someone young enough to be his kid, pure entertainment and that's what the NBA is designed for.

Last edited by rawimpact : 08-01-2008 at 06:28 AM.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #25
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

This dude asks to be ignored. Thy will be done.
Psileas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #26
plowking
well DENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki

No centre can create there on offense completely. I guess you can take any player over a centre, because a centre can't completely create their own offense.
plowking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #27
plowking
well DENG

Quote:

Seriously no one cares about your opinion. We get it, you have a Wilt fetish, you think he is the greatest. Fact is, he's not. No player with two championships, and one as the main man is going to be considered the GOAT.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #28
plowking
well DENG

BTW, can someone please post Shaq's finals numbers in all three championships. I really can't get enough of looking at them.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #29
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking

No centre can create there on offense completely. I guess you can take any player over a centre, because a centre can't completely create their own offense.

No, but an elite wing will always have that advantage over an elite center. It's not a big advantage by any means, but it's an advantage. Just like being clutch, being able to hit FT's etc.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #30
OutOfPlace
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

OutOfPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: