Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default An Entire TEAM choking?

All sports fans have witnessed athletes in a wide range of team sports choking/imploding in big moments but I can't think of another example of a team- top to bottom, coach included- just time and again blowing games like the Magic have. It's almost like they draw straws before the game to decide who's turn it is to make a blunder that costs them a finals game. The team missing key freethrows down the stretch in multiple games, players missing layups, the coach not subbing key players and making poor judgment calls.

Realistically the Magic are a missed layup and 1 or 2 free throws (or a foul on the inbounds) away from having a 3-1 series lead, but now they're down by the same. Any other examples of epic collapses by different players/a coach on the same team?
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
indiefan23
Local High School Star

Default Re: An Entire TEAM choking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
All sports fans have witnessed athletes in a wide range of team sports choking/imploding in big moments but I can't think of another example of a team- top to bottom, coach included- just time and again blowing games like the Magic have. It's almost like they draw straws before the game to decide who's turn it is to make a blunder that costs them a finals game. The team missing key freethrows down the stretch in multiple games, players missing layups, the coach not subbing key players and making poor judgment calls.

Realistically the Magic are a missed layup and 1 or 2 free throws (or a foul on the inbounds) away from having a 3-1 series lead, but now they're down by the same. Any other examples of epic collapses by different players/a coach on the same team?

I think its more that the Magic don't really deserve to be in the finals. The cavs were easily the better team and the magic the lucky team to go on a hot shooting streak. Anything can happen in a series. Jump shooting teams win based on those sreaks but you can't consistently hit above average on them, so they ultimately fail. Magic are a couple players away from being serious contenders.
indiefan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
hayden695
College star

pietrus has been nice from what ive seen but yah i agree
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #4
amfirst
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan23
I think its more that the Magic don't really deserve to be in the finals. The cavs were easily the better team and the magic the lucky team to go on a hot shooting streak. Anything can happen in a series. Jump shooting teams win based on those sreaks but you can't consistently hit above average on them, so they ultimately fail. Magic are a couple players away from being serious contenders.

No way, Cavs were inferior to the Magics. Laks and Magics can easily be tied right now or the Magics can be leading, if it wasn't for a play or two.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Babalu
We want Tacos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiefan23

Wow dilusional. Magic are better then the cavs and they proved it by sending lebron fishing.
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
Bond007
Local High School Star

Lakers and the Magic are the two best teams ...the small or Biggest difference between them is EXPERIENCE ! thats the game turner
Bond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
gutterballer733
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

The Magic are an inexperienced team that havent been to the finals like the Lakers have. I think if the Magic had been in last years finals like the Lakers, we would be seeing a very different series. Also their starting pg for most of the season is not at full strength. There are many reasons. I'm not sure why the blame is being put on Stan Van Gundy though. He can't make layups for Courtney Lee.
gutterballer733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
rawimpact
Banned

I disagree, i agree with van gundy... experience is over rated in terms of the finals series. Every team that played the magic lacked presence in the paint. And now that lakers have 3-4 guys to be thrown in there, their whole game is messed up.

RIP orlando for another 15 or so years.
rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
momo
Value Ape.

Quote:

2009 Denver Nuggets maybe?
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #10
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

The ghost of Nick Anderson haunts the Magic. The curse of Nick the Brick?

BTW, the Magic proved that they are > than the Cavaliers and just as good as the Lakers, but they have s*it for brains.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

Dwight needs to learn how to pass out of the double team and keep the ball up high. Watch Pau Gasol, he RARELY puts the ball below his waist once he catches it. Dwight holds the ball low and it's easier for a defender to strip him. Free throws and unforced turnovers were very key tonight. Hedo missed a pair as well as another one. Dwight missed two at the end of the 4th. He hits one of those and the game's over. Why Jameer Nelson was playing big minutes in the 4th and overtime, and not Rafer Alston beats me.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
Bond007
Local High School Star

Does anyone have an idea on the magic player situation next year? Will the team be intact?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
2009 Denver Nuggets maybe?

I considered them, but the inbounds plays both happened while they were down if I'm not mistaken. Stupid blunders, but not as bad as the Magic who had leads in the final minutes/seconds of games.

Honorable mention to Sheed/Pippen's Blazers for blowing the big 4th quarter lead against the Lakers, one game but in retrospect probably cost them the championship.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #14
Bond007
Local High School Star

Quote:
The ghost of Nick Anderson haunts the Magic. The curse of Nick the Brick?

BTW, the Magic proved that they are > than the Cavaliers and just as good as the Lakers, but they have s*it for brains.

Talent wise i agree that the magic are equal to the Lakers but one team has the edge in Experience. These 2 teams could go at it again next year if they remain intact.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:51 AM   #15
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

The Lakers are the better team.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: