Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Default Hoffa wasn't really that bad if you think about it

He was bad because of where he was picked 7th ( right before IGGY ) but if you think about it he was about 6'10 and could grab boards and do the dirty work .... which is REALLY what we need now .... he could always make that 15 ft jump shot on a consistent basis ..... i mean we should of given him alittle more time and got ppl to work with him to really be agressive and hungry .... i mean other then that 7th pick we WASTED and showed how bad our GM was .... LOL!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Hoffa wasn't really that bad if you think about it

He was awful.

He wasn't athletic or quick enough to be a C in the NBA. He had short arms and couldn't block anything. He was dumb, would forget plays on both ends. He would never rotate on defense. Hoffa "playing defense" = him hacking the hell out of his man and sending him to the line. He had very little offensive awareness. His lone skill was "setting tough screens" and he wasn't even THAT good at that.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
Tool
Ball til I fall

You should be banned from the Raptor forum on ISH for posting this thread.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
New Rap City
Pickin' and poppin'

and he fouled like ceazy...he was god awful...and please dont bring up we could of had iggy, hurts too much
New Rap City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
You should be banned from the Raptor forum on ISH for posting this thread.
I 2nd that. That big unathletic Brazilian foul machine was as close to useless as they come. I don't really know how he even got signed in Russia, but at the same time he's only making 500k, vs scrubs who are making lke 5 mill minimum overseas.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

He just couldn't adpte to the rules of a big man, he doesn't undertand how not to foul during defendsively and that hurts him and he can get away with it in college because he was a big aggressive beast. Just couldn't do that in NBA.

In a way he's right. Look at Joel Graham, if he were taken at 7th place, you all would of said the same thing as u said about Hoffa except for the foul trouble part.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen5
He just couldn't adpte to the rules of a big man, he doesn't undertand how not to foul during defendsively and that hurts him and he can get away with it in college because he was a big aggressive beast. Just couldn't do that in NBA.

In a way he's right. Look at Joel Graham, if he were taken at 7th place, you all would of said the same thing as u said about Hoffa except for the foul trouble part.
Nobody really compliments Joey Graham.. and yeah there's obviously a difference between being taken in 7th vs being taken 16th.. But that's besides the point. He was unathletic, slow, a horrible defender and unable to keep up with the NBA game, hence the reason he's playing in Russia for 500k. Joey didn't really make any bit of difference on our team last year, but at the very least you can say, well the guy is incredibly athletic. I don't really know what good we can say about Hoffa. It's not about what he did in college, it's about what he did as the 7th pick in the NBA draft.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
b4ball
Local High School Star

I did like some of his hard fouls. I remember him sending Wince down hard one game and Wince came up quickly and angrily to see who had done that to the great one and quickly capitulated, it was funny. I think their is always room for an enforcer, one who knows his job, and frankly, would the Raps have been known as a soft team if we had Hoffa on the bench for those, ah, special fouls?...lol
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
RapsFan
Great college starter

I think he was the most inept basketball player I have seen in the NBA. It got to the point where it didn't matter where he was taken. He was so bad not a single team, for the league minimum, would have him on their roster. He was pitiful and represents one of the worst moves in league history.

As for Joey.....I don't know where you guys get that nobody complains about him?! Everyone complains about him too all the time. Graham is almost worse because he has the athletic ability to be solid, but he's still terrible.

My favourite stat about Hoffa is that he averaged like 0.2 blks per game in college!

Last edited by RapsFan : 08-03-2008 at 09:04 AM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Burgz
Banned

lets think about this for a second.

babcock couldve been a smart GM and NOT try to make a stupid statement, and do the right thing like picking andre iguodala.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #11
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

okay fine .... he SUCKED .... so did the worst GM in Raptors history! SUCKED .... 7th pick and 16th both WASTED ..... THATS JUST GREAT!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
lets think about this for a second.

babcock couldve been a smart GM and NOT try to make a stupid statement, and do the right thing like picking andre iguodala.

I said this at the time, if you wanted a tall white centre, why not at least take the guy who was SIX...yes SIX years younger then Hoffa....Andres Biedrins!!!
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Don't think it's fair to compare Joey Graham and Hoffa for the simple reason that at least Joey has a bit of touch around the basket ..Hoffa couldn't throw a basketball into the ocean!
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
I did like some of his hard fouls. I remember him sending Wince down hard one game and Wince came up quickly and angrily to see who had done that to the great one and quickly capitulated, it was funny. I think their is always room for an enforcer, one who knows his job, and frankly, would the Raps have been known as a soft team if we had Hoffa on the bench for those, ah, special fouls?...lol
The thing is, his role wasn't to be an enforcer, he just didn't know how to stay in the game. When we had Oakley he was a true enforcer. He could play solid defense but if he was beat he simply wouldn't let the person get to the rim without taking them down. It's one thing to intentionally foul and another to play defense about as much as your capabilities will allow and average like 2 fouls a minute i think it was.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Tool
Ball til I fall

I'm just glad Colangelo managed to swap him for Humphries.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: