Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 09-01-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Team Canada. What happened to it?

Id figure with Nash and a couple other talented players they could at least get to the group play level if a team like China got there just off Yao. Did he not play for them in qualifying or something? You even have to qualify? How does that work?
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Canada really, really sucks. Here's their 2003 Olympic qualifying roster: http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?id=67

Nobody on that team besides Nash even plays for a good European team, let alone an NBA team.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
Canada really, really sucks. Here's their 2003 Olympic qualifying roster: http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?id=67

Nobody on that team besides Nash even plays for a good European team, let alone an NBA team.

I don't care what anybody says about Canada, but Shawn Swords is a cool name.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Damn. Magloire didnt feel like playing I guess. And I think a few other NBa level guys are from Canada. Cant think of them right now though. If Canada isnt using Nash we should steal him Hakeem style and get him to be a citizen by 2008. Hell he might already be one. He isnt married is he?
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:28 AM   #5
LakerRaider
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs

I don't care what anybody says about Canada, but Shawn Swords is a cool name.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
donjuandemarco
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default re

Things are going to get better with Canada basketball anytime soon. They messed up the team when they fired the former coach Jay Triano (assistant coach on the Raptors) and hired a television commentator who has NEVER coached a team on ANY level, Leo Rautins (played at Syracuse and briefly with the 76´ers). When Triano was fired Nash said he would never play again. They need to hire a coach who has European coaching experience and actually understand the international game.

Quote:

Actually a couple of them do, Barret, Guarasci...but you are right they don´t place enough importance on international experience when selecting the team.
donjuandemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #7
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Actually a couple of them do, Barret, Guarasci

No, they don't.

Is Denham Brown seriously going to be their only not absolutely horrible player in '07 Olympic qualifying?

That's pretty pathetic.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Nash, Magloire and Brown..Everyone Else NO
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #9
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

Very limited knowledge here, kind of sad.

Canada has a lot of talented basketball players and have won a lot of big games, unfortunately for the team though, the gov't sinks no money into the program and the desire of the players to play on the team wanes.

The country could easily field a team with twelve top level players and be a top ten team in the world, but unfortunately this team has yet to play together, and few established players are willing to make the commitment and succum to the heavy travel schedule. It is easy in Europe where games are often a short flight away.

Canada dominated their group in the 2000 Olympics (4-1) and has beaten everyone in the world. A lot of teams in the WC (for example all Asia, Oceania, and Africa teams) couldn't hang with a representative Team Canada and the North and South American teams that got in did so because Canada put a team on the floor during qualifications that barely practiced together and had far less than the best players in the country.

Don't believe me, well why is it Canadian players get to take on some of the key 'import' positions on pro teams in NZ and Aus, and these guys arent even mentioned in the discussion of the top twelve players.

Basketball Canada has geographical issues (getting the team together is tough), and in the past race was a big issue.

The issue is an administrative one as oppose to a talent one, but anyone with a cursory knowledge of sports in Canada knows how hard it is to be an athlete in Canada (no support). Just ask Lennox Lewis, Greg Rusedski or Owen Hargraves. Athletes in Canada are akin to starving artists, and most bballers keep their allegences with those who sign their checks as oppose to the national team program.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
bonez26
Local High School Star

There are a few guys that should play that may not:

Samuel Dalembert
Jamaal Magloire
Steve Nash
Denham Brown
Carl English

and some up and comers going to be playing in the US this year. However we can never get them all to play. It's really unfortunate otherwise we would have a decenet team.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Dalembert eh? you clown he aint Canadian rofl

our best lineup from my knowledge would be

C- Jamaal Magloire
PF- Juan Mendez
SF- Levon Kendall
SG- Denham Brown
PG- Steve Nash

with Carl English as a sixth man. And dont we have some 2008 top draft prospect?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

actually Walker there was talk about Sammy playing for Canada because he spent many years as a teen living in Montreal and his birthplace of Haiti can't really field a team. Apparently he has shown interest in the proposition, and with everyone else in flux, you might as well put him on the list too
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM   #13
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Id figure with Nash and a couple other talented players they could at least get to the group play level if a team like China got there just off Yao. Did he not play for them in qualifying or something? You even have to qualify? How does that work?

Allthough this topic is a thinly vieled swipe at Nash, I'll agree with you. If Magliore and Nash played and they had a good coach and some decent players they could achieve a china level of respectability.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Dalembert can play for Canada? sign him up! he can be our athletic big

why wont Nash play? that seems like something he wouldnt say
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:36 AM   #15
donjuandemarco
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default re

Quote:
why wont Nash play? that seems like something he wouldnt say

Because Basketball Canada fired Coach Jay Triano for no reason, who Nash was a huge supporter of.
donjuandemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: