Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Dalembert eh? you clown he aint Canadian rofl

our best lineup from my knowledge would be

C- Jamaal Magloire
PF- Juan Mendez
SF- Levon Kendall
SG- Denham Brown
PG- Steve Nash

with Carl English as a sixth man. And dont we have some 2008 top draft prospect?

That's a decent top 6.

I believe Rautins is looking to build from the bottom and develop young players and a deeper program for the future. I am sure he would gladly have Nash and Magloire on the team if they offered but Rautins also wants a group of guys that spend a longer time together and commit in terms of training camp and that sort of thing. Nash has given a lot of time already and may want to give the younger players a chance. Then there is Magloire who has shown no interest and snubbed the Canadian program for whatever reasons.
It's too bad that Todd McCullough's career was cut sort due to the nerve condition he has. The 2000 Olympic team had some solid players but some of them were on the back end of their internaional playing careers. That was a good run.

It also starts with funding as well. Little money is being given either by the government or private sector to support the growth of Team Canada basketball.

Juan Mendez I thought was at the try-out camp but not the final roster for the team that toured Europe before the World Championships. Maybe he was injured?
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #17
huppcap
Local High School Star

huppcap has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Dalembert can play for Canada? sign him up! he can be our athletic big

why wont Nash play? that seems like something he wouldnt say

Dalembert is just a wannabe Canadian.

But it was not as bad as calling Rick Foxx a Canadian. That was a joke. Just because he lived here for a while? Foxx had no desire to be in Canada but just to play basketball at the World Championships. It was like he was on loan. He probably could not name the capital of Canada or name all of the provinces. He's a California hollywood type of guy.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected poster

Jay Triano actually gave a good interview about this, I summarize:

- He's constantly trying to get Nash, Magloire, Dalembert, etc.. all on the team.
- Its better for the future of the team if they dont play. Because it forces them to build from the bottom and make a great "team."
-They have the youngest team in the world, so he feels they had a great summer competing against Germany, Greece, etc.
- 16 year old Junior Cadougan is the 2nd best Canadian point guard, behind Nash.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

Wasn't there a pretty good 7'1 PG prospect a few years ago. I think he was in the 1st round in many mock drafts. His name was Ivan Chireav or something like that.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #20
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"Allthough this topic is a thinly vieled swipe at Nash, I'll agree with you."

No it isnt. I think Nash would be a near perfect international player.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected posterTwiens is a pretty well-respected poster

Yea. Triano said he's trying to get Ivan to play for Team Canada too.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #22
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Rick Fox to the rescue!
(I think he's canadian).
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation

Quote:
Dalembert eh? you clown he aint Canadian rofl

our best lineup from my knowledge would be

C- Jamaal Magloire
PF- Juan Mendez
SF- Levon Kendall
SG- Denham Brown
PG- Steve Nash

with Carl English as a sixth man. And dont we have some 2008 top draft prospect?

Dalembert's mother is Canadian. He was talking about playing for Team Canada earlier in the year but I guess he pulled out.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #24
PennyNYK1¢
I airball my layups

PennyNYK1¢ has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Wasn't there a pretty good 7'1 PG prospect a few years ago. I think he was in the 1st round in many mock drafts. His name was Ivan Chireav or something like that.
Wasn't a 7'1" PG, although for some reason, he honestly believed he was. This guy was unbelievable, claiming the NBA "wants and needs" him at a press conference. Then everybody finally gets to see the guy play at the '04 adidas All-Canadian game... and he isn't even the best player on the court. Gets outplayed by Ian Milne (Now playing at Binghamton) of the opposing team. Luckily Ivan's team won, or else he woudn't have gotten MVP. I think this was an example of "hype kills", which can much be credited to HoopLife.ca.

Quote:
Canada really, really sucks.
I don't think they're that bad of a squad right now, just very, very young. Most of the players on the Senior Men's squad are in their early 20's, either fresh out of University or still in University. A couple of them had a stint with the Raptors Summer League team this past year, and Carl English has had contracts with both the Pacers and Sonics, eventually getting cut after the pre-season, and then playing with the Cavaliers in Summer League. He had a decent showing his one season in the NBDL, and once he was comfortable with his team overseas this past season, he started to perform well. Team Canada managed to defeat Germany late last month, and they didn't have one of their regulars, Denham Brown. English led the team with 18 points, and they came back from a 10-point fourth quarter deficit to capture the victory. They only won by 3, but this is a team the USA recently beat by only 20.

Quote:
Things are going to get better with Canada basketball anytime soon. They messed up the team when they fired the former coach Jay Triano (assistant coach on the Raptors) and hired a television commentator who has NEVER coached a team on ANY level, Leo Rautins (played at Syracuse and briefly with the 76´ers).
Yeah, this wasn't the greatest decision. Especially since they knew Nash wasn't going to approve the change. Although, on one side, I can see what they're trying to do. With Triano being with the Raptors all the time, he can't do the Canadian National team year round. With the hiring of Rautins, I believe that Canada Basketball was trying to get a Canadian who was recognizable, and able to commit year-round. With no previous coaching experience, it seems like they surrounded him with a very good coaching staff, which probably was teaching him as they went. Last October, I participated in 3 days with 6 practice sessions ran by Greg Francis. Another weekend, I participated in a practice session with Leo Rautins. Greg Francis seemed to know more about what he was doing, also got more involved and knew how to get the most out of his players in practice. With Leo Rautins, he was pretty passive. Not too assertive, once in awhile he'd pull aside a player and talk to him. Didn't really seem to try to push his players.
PennyNYK1¢ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:48 PM   #25
bumpyknucks
High School Varsity 12th Man

bumpyknucks is considered somewhat coolbumpyknucks is considered somewhat cool
Default re

Quote:
With Triano being with the Raptors all the time, he can't do the Canadian National team year round. With the hiring of Rautins, I believe that Canada Basketball was trying to get a Canadian who was recognizable, and able to commit year-round.

You made some good points overall. But what is the point of having a coach who is available all year round, when none of the players are. The players are off playing in different countries, I would prefer to see a coach who was employable as a coach too. Its like anything, the only way you stay on top of your isht is by doing it. You don´t see Tiger Woods chilling all year, then picking up his clubs in June and winning tourneys. Its the same with playing and coaching, you gotta stay sharp.
bumpyknucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #26
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
No it isnt. I think Nash would be a near perfect international player.

he is, go watch tape of the 2000 Olympics, Nash was one of the top 3 players in the tournament, bar none.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #27
PennyNYK1¢
I airball my layups

Quote:
But what is the point of having a coach who is available all year round, when none of the players are.
I'm not only talking about the Senior National team, sorry If I came across like that, but throughout the entire year, Rautins makes many trips across the country, doing practice sessions with players at all levels, as young as 12 years old, all the way up to players currently playing CIS. This gives Canada Basketball the ability to identify talent early, so that they can go about developing it, and when it does come time to choose National Teams, they know who to look at.

Quote:
he is, go watch tape of the 2000 Olympics, Nash was one of the top 3 players in the tournament, bar none.
He was also MVP of the '03 Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #28
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Leo seems to be doing pretty decent so far. I always hear about how he's travelling around the country meeting with our top high-school players... Hopefully he develops a team that everyone wants to play for.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #29
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Penny, are you playing in the CIS right now?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #30
PennyNYK1¢
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiens
Penny, are you playing in the CIS right now?
No, entering my senior year of HS.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: