Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-20-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Anyone remember Donavan Bailey?

One of my fave olympic moments was his gold medal at the 96 Olympics in the 100m.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWtzC...eature=related

And then there was the Bailey vs Michael Johnson race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAeCluBBF8
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Trax416
Great young streetballer

Trax416 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Anyone remember Donavan Bailey?

He is talked about all the time when you watch running. He also helps announce some of it.

Bolt JUST beat his Olympic Record when he won the 100m.

The thing with Donavan is, he got a horrible start when he set that record. Arguably, the worst start of his career. many runners, and analysts think he could have ran a 9.71 or a 9.70 if he got his normal start. Which would have been an overall Olympic and World record until Usain beat it when he won the 100m during this years Olympics.

Donavan was a freak runner. However he suffered from bad starts. If he started like some of the runners today, he would prob still hold the WR.
Trax416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416
He is talked about all the time when you watch running. He also helps announce some of it.

The thing with Donavan is, he got a horrible start when he set that record. Arguably, the worst start of his career. many runners, and analysts think he could have ran a 9.71 or a 9.70 if he got his normal start. Which would have been an overall Olympic and World record until Usain beat it when he won the 100m during this years Olympics.

Donavan was a freak runner. However he suffered from bad starts. If he started like some of the runners today, he would prob still hold the WR.
He's talked about in Canada, yeah. But outside of Canada he's pretty much disappeared from the discussion when past Oympians are being addressed. But yeah you're right about his slow starts. He was very slow off the blocks and had an incredible acceleration that compensated for that.

Last edited by bokes15 : 08-20-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #4
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax416

I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Bolt crushed it, and could have ran sub 9.60 if he ran through the finish and didn't pound his chest etc. Bolt has bad starts too.....now that kid is a freak runner.

I think Baily is remembered in the track and field world for sure. Maybe not well outside of it. Like many non-American's might not really remember Michael Johnson, but if you follow the sport you do.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I am not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Bolt crushed it, and could have ran sub 9.60 if he ran through the finish and didn't pound his chest etc. Bolt has bad starts too.....now that kid is a freak runner.

I think Baily is remembered in the track and field world for sure. Maybe not well outside of it. Like many non-American's might not really remember Michael Johnson, but if you follow the sport you do.
Bolt is above the typical height for a sprinter so he just needs to take a few of his long strides to be able to catch up to the rest of the field after a slow start. Not only that Donovan Bailey was 28 in the 96 Olympics vs current 21 year old Usain Bolt. Not saying that Donovan was faster, but there were some differences worth mentioning.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Bolt is above the typical height for a sprinter so he just needs to take a few of his long strides to be able to catch up to the rest of the field after a slow start. Not only that Donovan Bailey was 28 in the 96 Olympics vs current 21 year old Usain Bolt. Not saying that Donovan was faster, but there were some differences worth mentioning.

If varies, but generally sprinters don't peak until their mid to later 20's. So in that send, Bailey had an advantage. Donovan was asked who would win between Bolt as he is now, and Donovan is his prime....Donovan laughed and said he'd just be a spectator...he said Bolt would kill him.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
If varies, but generally sprinters don't peak until their mid to later 20's. So in that send, Bailey had an advantage. Donovan was asked who would win between Bolt as he is now, and Donovan is his prime....Donovan laughed and said he'd just be a spectator...he said Bolt would kill him.
I believe that Bolt would win as well, where have I said otherwise? He's one of those rare athletes thats not the prototypical size for his sport and yet transcends the game.

In regards to the first part of that, Donovan's main sport wasn't even running. He did do some track on and off in highschool but his main sport was basketball. So basically if you look at his history, he wasn't really a full-time runner until like 94, 95 so i'm sure had he made that decision earlier he could've had a more lucrative career. That said, I will again reiterate that I obviously don't think he'd beat bolt, I don't know where you got that ridiculous idea.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

one more thing to add, and then i'm off for now. It means little what a retired athlete says about another athlete 12 years removed from their athletic prime.

Example: ask Charles Barkley now who he thinks is better than he was and he'd probably drop a few names. Ask him in his athletic prime and he MAY say MJ if anyone at all. If you remember how Donovan was after he won the 100m in the Olympics he was saying that he's the greatest ever, fastest in the world, and challenged the man who is known as one of the greatest in the history without blinking. So, that's irrelevant.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Usain Bolt just broke Michael Johnson's 200M world record with a time of 19.30.

This kid is insane.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
I believe that Bolt would win as well, where have I said otherwise? He's one of those rare athletes thats not the prototypical size for his sport and yet transcends the game.

In regards to the first part of that, Donovan's main sport wasn't even running. He did do some track on and off in highschool but his main sport was basketball. So basically if you look at his history, he wasn't really a full-time runner until like 94, 95 so i'm sure had he made that decision earlier he could've had a more lucrative career. That said, I will again reiterate that I obviously don't think he'd beat bolt, I don't know where you got that ridiculous idea.

Settle. I simply added a comment to the thread about what Bailey said. It wasn't at you or had anything to do with you man. There is nothing to argue about and nothing to analyze.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
one more thing to add, and then i'm off for now. It means little what a retired athlete says about another athlete 12 years removed from their athletic prime.

Example: ask Charles Barkley now who he thinks is better than he was and he'd probably drop a few names. Ask him in his athletic prime and he MAY say MJ if anyone at all. If you remember how Donovan was after he won the 100m in the Olympics he was saying that he's the greatest ever, fastest in the world, and challenged the man who is known as one of the greatest in the history without blinking. So, that's irrelevant.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Yeah Funk the 200 M was awesome. He finally ran through and it was into a 0.10 head wind, which make his 19.30 even more insane.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Donavan Bailey use to work out in the same Gym as me (few years after he won the gold) he's a really nice guy in real life.

Anyone remember Ben Johnson? (the guy was unfairly targeted for steroid use when the whole line he was racing against was using as well!)

Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
RapsFan
Great college starter

So true about Ben Johnson. Did anyone see the episode of Cabbie on the Street when he randomly ran into Ben Johnson in like Cuba or something on the beach. Pretty funny.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:05 AM   #14
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

i loved that bailey vs. johnson race, the 200m where johnson pulled up lame, with a supposed "injury" while donovan would have smashed him anyway

i always wondered what event they were racing in, because all i can remember is that race????
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
i loved that bailey vs. johnson race, the 200m where johnson pulled up lame, with a supposed "injury" while donovan would have smashed him anyway

i always wondered what event they were racing in, because all i can remember is that race????

I think it was just a prime time made up even just for that showdown. It was actually a 150m race, to be halfway between their specialties. It was awesome.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: