Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #16
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Grizzlies sign Josh Smith to 5yr/$58M offer sheet

Atlanta has to match, on the other hand it's 13 million more than they wanted to pay, and they act like idiots most of the time. I'm surprised Memphis didn't give him more to put some pressure on the Hawks.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

This came out of no where. I thought Memphis wanted to keep their money? Oh well, Atlanta will most likely match...
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
WTF, the Hawks will match that easily. Why not offer more?

I think this was a courtesy offer kind of like what the Bobcats did last year for Varajeo, after he and Cavs stalemate lasted well into the season. The Grizz did this offer knowing that the Hawks will probably match, but it comes of as a favor to Smith's agent, who they hope keeps this offer in mind in future negotiations.

And in the unlikely event that the Hawks don't match, Smith would be a great fit on a run and gun team like what Memphis is putting together. Win-win situation for Memphis.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
MSUBaller11
I airball my layups

MSUBaller11 has an OK reputation so far

Does anyone know if Josh Smith actually signed the offer sheet?

All it says is he was sent an offer sheet.
MSUBaller11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUBaller11
Does anyone know if Josh Smith actually signed the offer sheet?

All it says is he was sent an offer sheet.
If he doesn't sign it the Hawks will probably offer him even less than what he's already been offered.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I think this was a courtesy offer kind of like what the Bobcats did last year for Varajeo, after he and Cavs stalemate lasted well into the season. The Grizz did this offer knowing that the Hawks will probably match, but it comes of as a favor to Smith's agent, who they hope keeps this offer in mind in future negotiations.

And in the unlikely event that the Hawks don't match, Smith would be a great fit on a run and gun team like what Memphis is putting together. Win-win situation for Memphis.

That is what i was thinking. If the Hawks don't match i am done with them.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #22
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

It has to be a favour of some kind because it's a pointless offer from Memphis. No way Atl won't match, so why even bother. It's a steal for Atl. Smith should have signed the 1 year deal then bolted next year.

It's too bad Memphis wasn't serious about winning. They easily had the ability to front load a deal to make it unmatchable basically for Atl and put a very nice core together for years and years of future contention.

Last edited by RapsFan : 08-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #23
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

We tried the run and gun and it failed.

Smith wouldn't fit well since we're supposedly going to slow down the pace and play a defensive style of basketball.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #24
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
I can't believe we're this stupid.

I said the only way would could get Smith is if we offered $13 Mil Per Year or more.

Doesn't Josh Smith have to agree to it before the Hawks can match it.

According to the link he already has agreed to the deal and signed it. Be patient man you don't overpay just anybody just to say you've made progress (thats how you become the Bulls).
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #25
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

His contract would look something like this (assuming a 10% increase):

$9,500,000.00
$10,450,000.00
$11,495,000.00
$12,644,500.00
$13,908,950.00

For a 22 year old who fits the Grizzlies team so well, it's not a bad deal. I think they're overpaying a bit, but when your team name is the Grizzlies, you have to overpay.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #26
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
According to the link he already has agreed to the deal and signed it. Be patient man you don't overpay just anybody just to say you've made progress (thats how you become the Bulls).
Dont tell me to be patient.

Ive seen this story play itself out too many times before and eventually we're going to end up wasting the salary cap space overpaying for 2 veterans.

Smith was our only logical target in the next 2 summers.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #27
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
Yah, if the Grizz really wanted him, they'd have offered more. This seems like a favor to the agent from the Grizz..

absolutely. why not make it 5 years 60-65 mill if they REALLY wanted him?

but then again, if atlanta somehow DOESN'T match, then it looks like a very solid signing for memphis... gay, smith, mayo and conley is a fantastic young core to build around.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #28
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
It has to be a favour of some kind because it's a pointless offer from Memphis. No way Atl won't match, so why even bother. It's a steal for Atl. Smith should have signed the 1 year deal then bolted next year.

It's too bad Memphis wasn't serious about winning. They easily had the ability to front load a deal to make it unmatchable basically for Atl and put a very nice core together for years and years of future contention.

They still may have frontloaded the deal, and let me ask a question of the board in general, how much do you think Smith is worth? People are making it seem like the Grizz are dumb for not paying this guy max, when he's not a max level player at all. He doesn't have a true position, and to call his skills "raw" would be an understatement. This is a fair offer for Smith.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #29
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

I like the offer, as it's the most that Josh will get without us overpaying. Albatross contracts not only destorys franchises, but players too. Imagine if we overpaid for Smith but he didn't work out... then we're stuck with him for 5 years with no one willing to take on his huge contract. (See Randolph, Hughes, maybe Lewis, Juwan Howard)

If the Hawks match, then its alright, but if they don't... WOOOOHOOOOOO

I would still have preferred Okafor
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #30
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

I'm not sure he's actually signed the offer sheet either. I only used the word sign in the thread title because that's what the title of the article was; "Griz sign Hawks' Smith to offer sheet."

The article itself however makes it seem like Memphis has only sent him the offer and he hasn't signed it yet.

edit: I just looked at the article again and it's changed to "Griz send contract offer to Hawks' Smith" so maybe this guy (and myself) just jumped the gun and Smith hasn't actually signed it.

Last edited by Put Back Dunk : 08-08-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: