Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #121
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Grizzlies sign Josh Smith to 5yr/$58M offer sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldbefree
because 11mil a season is way more than he is worth already. these stupid contracts are starting to piss me off.

11.6 million is actually less than what I thought he would get.

12-13.5 million was what I thought he would eventually get, which is reasonable considering his age, skill and talent level, and what similar guys have gotten.

I hope the Hawks match, but if they don't, then there are a few options.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #122
worldbefree
NYK's comeback 08-09

worldbefree is considered somewhat coolworldbefree is considered somewhat coolworldbefree is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
11.6 million is actually less than what I thought he would get.

12-13.5 million was what I thought he would eventually get, which is reasonable considering his age, skill and talent level, and what similar guys have gotten.

I hope the Hawks match, but if they don't, then there are a few options.

So a streaky shooting, less than avg court intelligence, no heart, inconsistent player should get 11 mil a season because he is young? Like Darius Miles or Al Harrington or Kwame's first contract?

He will be paid more than let's see Boozer, Ginobili, Parker, Big Z, Tayshaun, Billups, Rip.....
worldbefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #123
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
This line of thinking is what makes bad GMs. Good GMs know that sometimes you have to let a valuable player go if he demands money that he's not worth, and thats why I respect Dumars so much for not caving in to Ben Wallace. Other GMs need to follow suit. Just because other teams overpay players (like the Bulls are for Deng, and did a few years back for Wallace), doesn't mean you should go out and overpay Smith just to keep up.

The difference with Ben Wallace and Josh Smith is night and day in terms of where they are at in their careers when they signed their deals. Atl is just showing once again how poorly run they are. Say they let him go because he's 'not worth the money'. Then they win 25 games...but YEAH they saved an extra $2 mill per year in the NBA where the cap number goes up every season. When you are the Atlanta Hawks and always suck, you need to step up and keep players.

A guy like Smith, for all the people who slam him, is still a young player, you has gotten better every single year. If that isn't something you can work with then I don't know what is.

Also, you're paying not just for next year, but for what Smith will be in 3 years, 4 years. If he continues to get better, and matures when he gets older, he'll be a franchise type guy. Or, you can low ball him and have him walk when his 5 years are up. It's not a smart basketball move. Bynum will probably get a max deal and Smith has produced way more then him and hasn't had a major injury.

Last edited by RapsFan : 08-08-2008 at 08:04 PM.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #124
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
So a streaky shooting, less than avg court intelligence, no heart, inconsistent player should get 11 mil a season because he is young? Like Darius Miles or Al Harrington or Kwame's first contract?

He will be paid more than let's see Boozer, Ginobili, Parker, Big Z, Tayshaun, Billups, Rip.....
the difference between those fools and this fool is he produces. he didnt put up those stats because hes young.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #125
worldbefree
NYK's comeback 08-09

worldbefree is considered somewhat coolworldbefree is considered somewhat coolworldbefree is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
the difference between those fools and this fool is he produces. he didnt put up those stats because hes young.

those other fools produced decent numbers early on as well.
worldbefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #126
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
those other fools produced decent numbers early on as well.

Comparing Smith's numbers and progression over his first seasons to those guys is a major reach.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #127
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Bogut and Okafor got 6 years, $72 million, and Smith is comparable, so that is what I thought he would get.

He hurt himself big time with his push to get Woodson fired.

Other teams don't want to pick up guys who try to get their coach fired, since it creates locker room problems.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #128
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

man, the grizz already my second fav team....if they add josh smith

wooooooooo boy
brandonislegend is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: