Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-12-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Who You Know vs. What You Know

Which gets you further in life? We've had a couple discussion on this over the past couple years but never an official thread. For those of you in college/out of college I'm just wondering which one you think gets you further.

My personal vote would have to go for WHO you know. Every job and internship I've ever had aside from my one at Kohls has been through someone I knew. My dad's friend was one of the managers at Toys R Us back when i first started there, my friend used to work at my first internship and she recommended me to take her place, the woman from my FIRST internship knows the woman in charge of my SECOND internship and recommended me, and my very brief run in telemarketing was because my old teacher knew the boss there.

Almost everyone i know who has studied hard and graduated from college with a 3.5+ gpa is having trouble finding a job now, and there's people i know who graduated with 2.6 or so that have $40,000 a year jobs right out of school because of the connections they made while they were IN college.

So which do you think someone should focus more on, meeting connections or studying? Which will pay off in the end?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
hippos
Banned

Default Re: Who You Know vs. What You Know

I have witnessed many cases where people with lesser degrees get the job because the person hiring just likes them better as well. Not really who you know, but being the best on paper means jack **** a lot of the time. If they like you and believe you are willing to work hard, you're in.

Who you know is big for quality jobs. People are more comfortable around those they know more than it just being a favor (although that happens too especially with family connections rather than just being connected on your own).
hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
vapid
Paranoid Android

Who you know will only get you so far. However, it can satisfy most people's goals in life if they're lucky enough.

WHAT you know can help you become number one in your field, a great leader, businessman, etc.

You need both, unless you're a academic, but even then you probably need to know someone to fund your research.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #4
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Most definitely who you know but what you know matters as well. Here's my situation:

My dad's in the oil business and knows the president of the company I'm working with now and asked him if any there were openings for an intern. He said, yes and I submitted my app./resume and nailed the resume.

My dad opened the door for me and my impressive resume and interview got me through the door. My last day was today and as I was waiting for my cab, I ran into the president and told me to call next summer and would have me back.

I made connections with the employees, project managers and engineers asking me to e-mail them and telling me they would meet up with me at aTm and I will probably have my exit interview next week.

I got the job and the education now I need the girls.
Hawker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Depends on the field.

Big Business is totally who you know. Tons of millionaires are high school/college drop outs. Literally to cool for school

Other types of professions aren't as influenced AS MUCH by who you know, but it's still there in every case.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

The few jobs ive had were because people recognized me or knew me or my friends. If sombody that the person hiring respects says that one of their buddys would be good for the job and are looking then not a whole lot can be used to argue against that.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Depends on the field.

Big Business is totally who you know. Tons of millionaires are high school/college drop outs. Literally to cool for school

Other types of professions aren't as influenced AS MUCH by who you know, but it's still there in every case.

Eh, no offense but dont see where you have the expertise on this subject.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

What you know definitely applys too...

If a company is hiring, you can call them up, apply, impress with what you know and the interview and get a job that way.

If you know people, it's easier to get a job.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
Who you know will only get you so far. However, it can satisfy most people's goals in life if they're lucky enough.

WHAT you know can help you become number one in your field, a great leader, businessman, etc.

You need both, unless you're a academic, but even then you probably need to know someone to fund your research.
We're referring to what you know as education right?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #10
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
No one here has expertise, not even you.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
UM

how about my dad's a attorney and I've personally met with at least 5 of his BIG multi-millionaire non college educated clients?

Enough expertise for you?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
We're referring to what you know as education right?
Why do we have to limit ourselves to that? For instance, one of those businessmen who dropped out must have known something about the business environment which they thought they could profit from.

Thats also where you're partially wrong. They didn't drop because they were "too cool for school". They most likely believed they could be making enough money through some business idea or innovation they wanted to exploit/innovate. Initially, the "what" that they knew was definitely more important than the "who".
Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #13
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapid
No one here has expertise, not even you.

I have experience in getting an internship. That's expertise.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 AM   #14
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
UM

how about my dad's a attorney and I've personally met with at least 5 of his BIG multi-millionaire non college educated clients?

Enough expertise for you?

That doesnt mean anything to be honest.

You can still become very rich and be non college educated with a simple idea. You dont need a college degree to become a business man.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #15
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
I have experience in getting an internship. That's expertise.
What? You have experience. You're not an expert. You only got an internship in one field, and only one internship. (so far) All you have is first-hand anecdotes, not expertise.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: