Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #61
imjustlikemusiq
Speak To Me Cleanly

Default Re: Who You Know vs. What You Know

Who you know. I got an internship right now at a major health care provider clocking $18/hr doing IT stuff. Im an American Politics major, you do the math.
imjustlikemusiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #62
kentatm
NBA Legend

Its who you know.

Look no further than George W. Bush. Got into the fairly exclusive Phillips Academy and later into Yale despite never being much of a student. Was accepted into the Texas National Air Guard despite barely passing the entrance test. Was not given a DUI on his record even though was was pulled over driving under 10 through some bushes. Nearly every business venture he was the boss of failed aside from his brief stint with the Texas Rangers baseball team. He became Governor of Texas despite having never held political office and incumbent Ann Richards being very popular. Became President of the united States after just 5 years as the TG and despite the fact that the Texas Governor is one of the least powerful Governorships in the country (save for the Secretary of State, they don't even get to appoint their own cabinet)

How was he able to do this?

He is from one of the wealthier families in the country. His family is loaded with politicians. His father was head of the CIA, a VP AND the President of the USA.

He is people who knows people. If he had been born in a middle class family he'd be Michael Scott from The Office at best.

Last edited by kentatm : 08-12-2008 at 09:17 AM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #63
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Its who you know.

Look no further than George W. Bush. Got into the fairly exclusive Phillips Academy and later into Yale despite never being much of a student. Was accepted into the Texas National Air Guard despite barely passing the entrance test. Was not given a DUI on his record even though was was pulled over driving under 10 through some bushes. Nearly every business venture he was the boss of failed aside from his brief stint with the Texas Rangers baseball team. He became Governor of Texas despite having never held political office and incumbent Ann Richards being very popular. Became President of the united States after just 5 years as the TG and despite the fact that the Texas Governor is one of the least powerful Governorships in the country (save for the Secretary of State, they don't even get to appoint their own cabinet)

How was he able to do this?

He is from one of the wealthier families in the country. His family is loaded with politicians. His father was head of the CIA, a VP AND the President of the USA.

He is people who knows people. If he had been born in a middle class family he'd be Michael Scott from The Office at best.

Because after all, to be deemed successful in life you must be president of a country.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #64
vapid
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Because after all, to be deemed successful in life you must be president of a country.
It doesn't hurt. I would consider myself successful if I was sitting in the oval office.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #65
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

uh, financially it sure rocks.

Quote:
President Bush currently earns $400,000 per year, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment.

he will also get a $190,000 a year pension once he is done plus his own staff and an office paid for by you and me.

not only that, you ARE THE FRIGGIN PRESIDENT

besides, the question was what is better, what or who you know. Considering Ws talents or lack of rather, its pretty clear who you know is more important.

Once again, if a clod like him had come from the upper middle class down he would be a complete nobody.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #66
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
Stuff about being president

One example, however powerful it may be, doesn't trump thousands of others. In Bush's case it was who he knew (and was the offspring of). I'm sure in countless others it's strictly what you know. There is no right or wrong answer to this question, it's all subjective.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #67
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
DOOD

you don't even get paid and stuff, so it's lame

get on the oil train man

I'm saying you SHOULD be paid. But I can see why companies dont pay business majors.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:24 AM   #68
Riddler
D-94

Final Answer: Who you Know
(this was kind of a trick question)

and on that note... I am going back to bed.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: