Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 08-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
POTTER21
Kids at the park dunk on me

POTTER21 has an OK reputation so far
Default Spain participates in racist ad

The Spain basketball team, including jose calderon, participated in a racist ad. During the photoshoot, the team made their eyes chinese looking as a joke. Many people have viewed this as being racist and disrespectful. How do you percieve this as? Here's the link if you still havent seen it.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/08/11/spanis...-off-the-ball/
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: Spain participates in racist ad

Classless.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have a Chinese descent myself and I don't think it's that racist or offensive.

But yeah, it's gonna offend someone out there for sure.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

I'm sure there wasn't much malice or racism intended in this photo. Someone just thought it would be funny or cute even though it is pretty racist.

let's just put it this way...none of those guys would ever paint themsleves black and hold spears up for this photoshoot.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Bad call on the PR Department, Im sure the players didnt suggest they do that. Probably got caught up in the moment.

Then again maybe theyre all racist.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Found this post that pretty much sums up the whole pic..

Quote:
Is it racist? Sure... But see, we Asians have been mocked and made fun of for so long that this doesn't feel racist. Some are saying it's funny. Of course. But let's say the players instead were mocking blacks, and they all decided to sport big afro wigs. Would that be racist? Certainly.

But Asians won't make a big fuss over it. It's not our nature. We just keep doing our own thing. Make fun if you must, but no one will lose their job over this ad. No one will get sued. There are no Chinese Jesse Jacksons to call for a boycott. We won't be marching on Capitol Hill. And this is why Asians continue to get made fun of. We're the race that's safe to mock.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Found this post that pretty much sums up the whole pic..

It is 100% racist without a doubt in terms of definition ("race-based prejudice")

It probably offended many chinese.

A lot of people (and probably the spanish bball team) would argue that it's just a little humor. But why is it humorous? Chinese are no clowns, why is it humorous to pull their eyes slanted - it is to make fun of the chinese's facial feature (eyes in particular) that makes it funny and humorous... and that's pretty rude.

Last edited by Sekman : 08-13-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Sekman
Great young streetballer

http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingn...yed-team-photo
Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

T.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this boardT.O.RAPS is popular on this board

Did they get booed when they played China?
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Strangefruit
I brick open layups

Strangefruit has an OK reputation so far

Hello there. I posted this in the General Forum, but I thought it might fit in here too.

I think there's a lot of noise around the subject, a lot of misleaded judgement, and not too much information.

1. The photo is for an advertisment.

2. The company paying for the ads is A CHINESE COMPANY (Li-Ning`s T-Shirt).

3. It was the GUYS FROM THE CHINESE COMPANY who told the Spanish NT what they had to do.

4. Since every single guy in the Spanish team is spanish (huh), it's not unlikely that none of them could think of the gesture being racist. In Spain (a country where nothing is ever taken seriously, and where no offense is ever taken -or almost-) almost noone would see that gesture as offensive.

5. Even if two or three players had thought "hey, this might be offensive to chinese people" (which is VERY improbable), the fact that it was all the idea of a Chinese company obviously convinced them of the contrary.

6. If a third party (a quite over-reacting third party, as a matter of fact - English meida) comes into this two-sided game and starts messing it up with their own stuff, they are to be blamed.

7. No offense intended (and apparently no offense taken from the guys in the Chinese company). No mocking intended. Absolutely no sign of "racial superiority". NO RACISM whatsoever.

8. If a word or a gesture or any issue is considered offensive or sensitive in a a certain country, it doesn't mean every single country in the world should avoid it in their own territory (where it may have completely different significance or background).

In fact, there's a gesture ( ) which many of you may understand as "man, this rules/rocks", whilst in Spain it means "fu(k you" or even "you're an idiot whose wife constantly fu(ks another men". Do we get annoyed when an American (o any other) uses that gesture in their own "scenery"? No. I mean, we know that's the way it works.

From the point of view of a Spaniard, the only way to see "Racism" in all this is to have a race-based mindset at first. It is said that the ones claiming "racism!" are too often the very first ones to be racist.
Please better look at yourself before judging the others, especially if you don't know it all (but who knows anyway?)

Last edited by Strangefruit : 08-13-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Strangefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangefruit
Hello there. I posted this in the General Forum, but I thought it might fit in here too.

I think there's a lot of noise around the subject, a lot of misleaded judgement, and not too much information.

1. The photo is for an advertisment.

2. The company paying for the ads is A CHINESE COMPANY (Li-Ning`s T-Shirt).

3. It was the GUYS FROM THE CHINESE COMPANY who told the Spanish NT what they had to do.

4. Since every single guy in the Spanish team is spanish (huh), it's not unlikely that none of them could think of the gesture being racist. In Spain (a country where nothing is ever taken seriously, and where no offense is ever taken -or almost-) almost noone would see that gesture as offensive.

5. Even if two or three players had thought "hey, this might be offensive to chinese people" (which is VERY improbable), the fact that it was all the idea of a Chinese company obviously convinced them of the contrary.

6. If a third party (a quite over-reacting third party, as a matter of fact - English meida) comes into this two-sided game and starts messing it up with their own stuff, they are to be blamed.

7. No offense intended (and apparently no offense taken from the guys in the Chinese company). No mocking intended. Absolutely no sign of "racial superiority". NO RACISM whatsoever.

8. If a word or a gesture or any issue is considered offensive or sensitive in a a certain country, it doesn't mean every single country in the world should avoid it in their own territory (where it may have completely different significance or background).

In fact, there's a gesture ( ) which many of you may understand as "man, this rules/rocks", whilst in Spain it means "fu(k you" or even "you're an idiot whose wife constantly fu(ks another men". Do we get annoyed when an American (o any other) uses that gesture in their own "scenery"? No. I mean, we know that's the way it works.

From the point of view of a Spaniard, the only way to see "Racism" in all this is to have a race-based mindset at first. It is said that the ones claiming "racism!" are too often the very first ones to be racist.
Please better look at yourself before judging the others, especially if you don't know it all (but who knows anyway?)

Just because it is an instruction from a Chinese Company, or a Chinese, it doesn't mean that it is okay. Very simple logic, if I (being an African American) give you consent to call me a n*gga, doesn't mean you go around and start calling ppl N*gga (ie. doesn't mean it is not offensive to others). If someone pays me to kill another person, or kill the person himself, it doesn't mean the Law will not prosecute me.

From your rock icon example, i can see that a certain symbol, phrase, can represent a lot of things in different culture. However, the slant-eye thingy was linked directly to the Chinese (olympic ad + dragon symbol on the court).

Like you said, Spain is a country where nothing is ever taken seriously, and where no offense is ever taken.... that resembles ignorance to me.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
POTTER21
Kids at the park dunk on me

POTTER21 has an OK reputation so far

IMO i don't think the photo was racist but more disrespectful to the chinese. Jose Calderon talked about his side of the issue in his blog

http://www.josemanuelcalderon.com/indexEN.html

Do you think any of the players could have just decided not to do the ad? They are the stars so therefore can do or not do what they want. Jose Calderon seems like a pretty respectful guy and I was very surprised to hear that he was involved in this.

Here's a quote from calderon's blog

Quote:
I would like to share a story with you about something that happened with the Spanish National Team that someone interpreted incorrectly. It happened in the photo session where the Spanish National Team was introduced; one of our sponsors asked us to pose with a “wink” to our participation in Beijing, we made an oriental expression with our eyes. We thought it was something appropriate and that it would always be interpreted as somewhat loving. Never the less some of the European media did not see it this way.

From here I would like to declare that we have a huge respect for the East and their people, some of my best friends in Toronto are from China and one of our Spanish National Team sponsors is the Chinese brand Li Ning. Anyone who would like to interpret this differently is absolutely confused.
POTTER21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

I don't find it disrespectful really. People are blowing it out of proportion....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
Strangefruit
I brick open layups

Strangefruit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
Just because it is an instruction from a Chinese Company, or a Chinese, it doesn't mean that it is okay. Very simple logic, if I (being an African American) give you consent to call me a n*gga, doesn't mean you go around and start calling ppl N*gga (ie. doesn't mean it is not offensive to others). If someone pays me to kill another person, or kill the person himself, it doesn't mean the Law will not prosecute me.

From your rock icon example, i can see that a certain symbol, phrase, can represent a lot of things in different culture. However, the slant-eye thingy was linked directly to the Chinese (olympic ad + dragon symbol on the court).

Like you said, Spain is a country where nothing is ever taken seriously, and where no offense is ever taken.... that resembles ignorance to me.

Have you thought that maybe ignorance has a lot to do with believing your particular codes are the only and valid ones? Why Spaniards not having a puritan and uptight sense of reality makes them ignorant, while your solid and well-stablished system of silly and euphemistic laberynths (aka known as anglo-saxon political correction) is the real deal and the climax of human perfection?

Think of it.

By the way, am I allowed to say "mulata" (a compliment and a word often impliying love and afection in Cuban ultura) to a half white/halfblack girl from Cuba? Or you are ready to bash my miserable racist face because the word "mulata" was used with racist connotations in some parts of the US? Do we have to bend and bow to the allmighty uniculture of America, even if they have no bussiness in the way a Cuban and a Spaniard interact?

If you don't understand this, then your cultural inertia is simply too far to find bridges.
Strangefruit is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: