Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 08-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #16
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Why Are We So Disrespected?

Im not trying to bash you guys. I mean, future looks decent but I think you guys are forgeting that other teams in the East have improved more than you guys. I just think more teams have improved more so its going to be more difficult to get in the playoffs. Possible 36 range wont even get you in there. And I dont think there is much value in Tinsley. He is a decent pg but he has a very unattractive contract and its unlikely you guys will get much in return for him. If you are banking on him bringing a quality big, which is what is so desperately needed, then I think you are out of luck. No ones is going to trade a quality big for an injure/mental prone pg.

Like I said, not trying to bash, only giving my honest opinion. I think your situation is not horrible, but I think the Pacers are a few years away from making any real noise. Somehow you guys need to move Murphys horrible deal bc Grangers extension is in the near future
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Im not trying to bash you guys. I mean, future looks decent but I think you guys are forgeting that other teams in the East have improved more than you guys. I just think more teams have improved more so its going to be more difficult to get in the playoffs. Possible 36 range wont even get you in there. And I dont think there is much value in Tinsley. He is a decent pg but he has a very unattractive contract and its unlikely you guys will get much in return for him. If you are banking on him bringing a quality big, which is what is so desperately needed, then I think you are out of luck. No ones is going to trade a quality big for an injure/mental prone pg.

Like I said, not trying to bash, only giving my honest opinion. I think your situation is not horrible, but I think the Pacers are a few years away from making any real noise. Somehow you guys need to move Murphys horrible deal bc Grangers extension is in the near future

As the current team sits, we're in fine position to extend Granger. While I think it'll be surprising to some the value Tinsley brings back, I don't think it'll be any sort of starter. I don't consider potentially battling for an 8 spot "making noise." The ECF is making noise. And again, on paper it looks like we need a 4 who's game is on the blocks, but our system isn't designed around it. It's spread the floor, penetrate, kick out, jump shot. In this offense both Granger and Williams are capable of playing the 4 spot. No, one of them playing the 4 does nothing to help our defense, but no one has expectations of winning 50 games. Obtaining a starting 4 of the future, be it via draft or trade is for next year's deadline/draft. And who knows, remember when people were saying taking on Dunleavy's "horrible deal" was ignorant? He's priced pretty fairly now. I never expect Murphy to live up to his contract completely, but he'll have every opportunity to do it this season, he won't be relegated to playing out of position at the 5. Remember when Shimmy Walker was actually considered a pretty solid player? That was under Jim O'Brien, and Murphy's skill-set is very similar to Antoine's. People seem to have no patience for a rebuild anymore. When a team had as many problems as we did last year you cannot expect to fix them all in one season, but I'm amazed at the amount that have been, and it's only August. If Tinsley's dealt for any contract of equal or lesser length, this is one of the better Pacer offseasons in recent memory.

Last edited by InspiredLebowski : 08-14-2008 at 04:43 AM.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #18
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Some educated bball talk in this thread, I like it.

And as far as our team stands now, I think we'll win 40 games, whether or not that's good enough to get us in is yet to be seen.
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
As the current team sits, we're in fine position to extend Granger. While I think it'll be surprising to some the value Tinsley brings back, I don't think it'll be any sort of starter. I don't consider potentially battling for an 8 spot "making noise." The ECF is making noise. And again, on paper it looks like we need a 4 who's game is on the blocks, but our system isn't designed around it. It's spread the floor, penetrate, kick out, jump shot. In this offense both Granger and Williams are capable of playing the 4 spot. No, one of them playing the 4 does nothing to help our defense, but no one has expectations of winning 50 games. Obtaining a starting 4 of the future, be it via draft or trade is for next year's deadline/draft. And who knows, remember when people were saying taking on Dunleavy's "horrible deal" was ignorant? He's priced pretty fairly now. I never expect Murphy to live up to his contract completely, but he'll have every opportunity to do it this season, he won't be relegated to playing out of position at the 5. Remember when Shimmy Walker was actually considered a pretty solid player? That was under Jim O'Brien, and Murphy's skill-set is very similar to Antoine's. People seem to have no patience for a rebuild anymore. When a team had as many problems as we did last year you cannot expect to fix them all in one season, but I'm amazed at the amount that have been, and it's only August. If Tinsley's dealt for any contract of equal or lesser length, this is one of the better Pacer offseasons in recent memory.
God, I can't wait til that bum is gone.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzhernandez
God, I can't wait til that bum is gone.

Oh he's gone. Maybe he'll be under contract, but he'll never be found in a Pacers uniform, on a Pacers bench, in Conseco, any of that, ever again.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #21
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

I honestly think you guys could probably be a .500 team this year if your players stay healthy.
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

In all honesty... you guys are fans, but you dont have to be unrealistic. I mean seriously... lets brake it down.

1. Better or Worse
With the addition of Jarrett Jack and TJ Ford.... I can say honestly the team has only gotten slightly better. When JO is playing fully healthy the team is better, regardless of what the record says of his injury riddled games last season. I'd say they've gotten about 5% better than before. Combined with TJ Fords inconsistency and injury and Jack's inability inconsisten long range shot... they are not a whole lot better. So I'd guess that only equates to 5% more wins (4 games) except....

2. Division/Conference
The Bulls got better over the offseason... The Cavs got better mid-season last year and that will transfer over to the 2009 season, The Pistons will continue to torch them... along with numerous other Eastern conference teams getting better. This will likely either cancel out or actually subtract from the wins of last season.

So in all can you really 100% say for sure they are going win alot more games? If you are going to be an honest fan you have to say no. At this point its anybody's guess. And really, at this point if I were to guess, only thing I could say is they are equal to their record last season which still puts them at the bottom of the East.

Don't expect alot of people to automatically put the Pacers in the playoff run since they haven't done a whole lot in the offseason. Yet...
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
In all honesty... you guys are fans, but you dont have to be unrealistic. I mean seriously... lets brake it down.

1. Better or Worse
With the addition of Jarrett Jack and TJ Ford.... I can say honestly the team has only gotten slightly better. When JO is playing fully healthy the team is better, regardless of what the record says of his injury riddled games last season. I'd say they've gotten about 5% better than before. Combined with TJ Fords inconsistency and injury and Jack's inability inconsisten long range shot... they are not a whole lot better. So I'd guess that only equates to 5% more wins (4 games) except....

2. Division/Conference
The Bulls got better over the offseason... The Cavs got better mid-season last year and that will transfer over to the 2009 season, The Pistons will continue to torch them... along with numerous other Eastern conference teams getting better. This will likely either cancel out or actually subtract from the wins of last season.

So in all can you really 100% say for sure they are going win alot more games? If you are going to be an honest fan you have to say no. At this point its anybody's guess. And really, at this point if I were to guess, only thing I could say is they are equal to their record last season which still puts them at the bottom of the East.

Don't expect alot of people to automatically put the Pacers in the playoff run since they haven't done a whole lot in the offseason. Yet...
Only time will tell.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: